How did the old Toonami get away with airing anime like Gundam Wing during the daytime?

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by simpsonsfan, May 29, 2013.

1. simpsonsfan

simpsonsfan Froakie - Bubble Frog Pokemon

I'm just curious if anyone knows how shows not really for kids were allowed to air during the daytime. I thought I read years ago that Weekday Toonami was removed and replaced with Miguzi because parents didn't think certain animes were good for kids to watch or something along those lines.

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

In short, it happened thanks to a combination of edits and having the right people in charge that were A-OK with pushing boundaries a bit. Though, I don't want to oversell that too much - while a few Toonami programs had appeal for older audiences, TV anime like Gundam Wing were in fact made for a younger audience - and there is no such thing as a Gundam TV anime that wasn't made to reach out to teens and boys first and foremost, including Gundam 00. In general they were not airing actual "anime for adults" in the afternoon.

3. Dub C

Dub C Just a animation lovin' dude

It should also be noted that back then, Toonami also had the "Midnight Run" block. For the daytime Toonami, they pretty much censored some of the material, like blood, words like "damn" & "hell" and the like. The late night airing actually kept the material in. Looking back, it was a really unique situation for an animated show in America

4. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

DeMarco and company have also clarified time and time again that Toonami aired shows that they themselves liked. These guys don't play by the rules of standard television, and are willing to take a lot more risks to honor quality action programming. Honestly, I'd say airing Tenchi back in the day was by far a bigger risk than Gundam. I mean airing a harem anime as a kids show here? Nobody else would have took that risk, even if much of the perverted humor was edited out.

5. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

The amount of distribution Cartoon Network had in 2000 was considerably smaller than it is now, so that's a big reason they were able to get away with it.

6. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

A show like Gundam Wing may have also gotten away with a lot more due to having aired in the pre-9/11 era. Action cartoons with war themes, explosions, and the like were not considered too extreme for children back then, IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013
  7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

It was a crazy time to see stuff like Gundam Wing in the afternoons.

I also loved the Midnight Run, it was basically the pre-cursor to Adult Swim anime.

8. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Obviosuly you werent around for Toonamis early years. Its not like the block snuck in these shows and turned them into TVs best kept secret. The shows Toonami put out were ridiculously edited, to the point where they no longer resembled there original versions. Take cardcaptor sakura's dub as a reference of how they managed to air a lot of these shows.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I thought that Cardcaptor Sakura's dub aired on Kids' WB. I don't remember it airing on Toonami, except for maybe that time when they had Toonami on the Kids' WB afternoon lineup. That was only a couple of weeks or so if I remember correctly.

10. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Cardcaptor Sakura actually did air on regular Toonami itself briefly during summer 2001. Of course it had already premiered on KidsWB.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I don't quite remember that, but since it had already premiered on Kids' WB and I believe aired all of its episodes on that block as well, I don't think it would be fair to say that the dub's quality was due to airing on Toonami.

12. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

As Ishtar mentioned it did air on Toonami for one glorious month. Not many ppl remember Toonami and kids wb horrible cross promotional stunt. And that lasted almost a year. Those were considered dark times bahaha. Anywho that wasnt really my point. I was saying CCS was a good example of how a block could pull off airing a controversial (violent etc) anime. I wasnt saying it was Toonamis fault....just that, thats how it was during the Gundam wing days.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I didn't think that the Toonami and Kids WB cross promotional stunt lasted that long. I thought that was what you mean about CCS a bit after I typed up my last post. Sorry about misunderstanding your point.

14. Butterstar

Butterstar Bring Sakura back to the US!

If I remember correctly, Toonami played the heavily edited Cardcaptors version while new episodes were on hiatus on Kids' WB or something. That version is hardly "controversial" or "violent", or "entertaining", but that's a story for another time.

15. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Was it TV-PG?

16. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Nope. It was Y7 all the way.

17. David Lucas

David Lucas New Member

Midnight Run started a few months before we got Cartoon Network at my moms house, until then I had to act really enthusiastic to go over my Dad's just to be able to watch it. That being said, I can recite a line from both the edited and uncensored Gundam Wing to put things into perspective. Since it was a time where cartoons were still shying away from using the word "kill" or "dead", let alone DBZ's unbelievably terrible editing (DBZ Uncensored with Chris Psaros, anyone?), I remember watching an episode of GW on Midnight Run where Duo Maxwell was absent for a couple episodes and when he shows up with Deathscythe he screams out the following.

"The God of Death is back from hell!"

I had the misfortune of watching the same episode a few weeks later on Toonami and was treated to:

"The Great Destroyer is back again!"

So, yeah. There was that. Jesus, talking about this and Tenchi Muyo is really taking me back. Never even realized the harem aspect of Tenchi back in the day. I love how much our generation connects with each other over childhood nostalgia, most likely more than any other generation in the history of mankind. We're quite the anomaly.

18. Kuromi_Star

Kuromi_Star Neko mimi mode

Sort of makes me wonder why all the nostalgia fans aren't clamoring for proper Sakura treatment in the US. I know many did read the manga, even though it was less popular than SM, but these days you'll find more people asking for a new Tokyo Mew Mew dub :sweat:

I'd say it's just waay too young skewing, but once again, people who want Tokyo Mew Mew re-releases.

Midnight Run was a wonderful thing.

19. Deker

Deker Nighlok and Load.

Shows get away with stuff all the time with the right context. Gargoyles was allowed some content most people wanting to show that cartoons are DAAARRRRK would be super ready to praise.

It probably helped that Gundam Wing had, like, nothing in the realm of genuine emotional or political complexity and everything was so overly simplified that it really IS just a show for children. It's actually not really that objectionable.

20. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

Some re-runs of the uncut version were in fact TV-PG, according to an old recording I recently discovered.