1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

How could Tiny Toons and Animaniacs be rebooted into a new show?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by dth1971, Apr 21, 2013.

1. cheril59

cheril59 Member

NEWS FLASH! Most of the Tiny Toons ARE teenagers. Buster, Babs, and Plucky are 14, Hamton, Fifi, Shirley, and Elmyra are 13.

2. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Considering the Horrific way most WB characters have been revived in recent years It's A Bad Idea! Wabbit has sealed WB's fate.

3. Karl Helm

Karl Helm New Member

Tiny Toons was almost revived by Kirk Tingblad. It was to be done in the style of That 70s Show & The Archies. It could be like a pre-teen/teen sitcom. There is a sitcom that has slapstick. I'd be happy to see Tiny Toons revived.

4. cheril59

cheril59 Member

Did I already just mention...?

5. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Individually... yes. Together... no.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. CoyoteWalker

CoyoteWalker New Member

Honestly I don't thing they could be revived. Not in a good way. They're very 90s shows, and while still good, the last time I tried to show a 90s style show to a tween (god I hate that phrase) she couldn't keep up with the plot. Which is sad.

Collect the DVDs and raise your kids on them, but any revival would go the way of all the Bugs Bunny revivals and just be dumbed down and not nearly as good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

7. Karl Helm

Karl Helm New Member

Kirk Tingblad and Gary Hartle almost got the green light to reboot Tiny Toons back in 2003, but the CN executives turned it down and Duck Dodgers happened instead. I like Dodgers though. I would have loved to see Tiny Toons as a teen sitcom done to the likes of That 70s Show, That 80s Show, The Archies, and Happy Days. The gang would be in their late teens like 16 or 17. Some drive their own cars or motorcycles to school. An All Grown Up version of TT would be called Acme Acres: Tiny Toons All Grown Up. I'd like these versions to be an hour long instead of 30 minutes.

8. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

Would be nice if Warner Bros. Animation worked on a complete reboot, and add the stars from both shows into that reboot. Heck, I'd call it The Tiny Toons/Animaniacs Show.

9. Karl Helm

Karl Helm New Member

Tiny Toons and Animaniacs should be done separately. This new Tiny Toons should be a little different. Originally the gang was 13 or 14. Now they should be 16 or 17. Some could even drive their own cars. It should be done to the style of That 70s Show, That 80s Show, The Archies or even Happy Days. TT was almost into production by Kirk Tingblad and Gary Hartle back in 2003. The execs turned it down and Duck Dodgers happened instead. I like Duck Dodgers though. Their can even be an All Grown Up special where the gang are fully grown. It could be called Acme Acres: Tiny Toons All Grown Up. Scooby Doo's been rebooted many times on 40 years. Spongebob's been on the air for 15 years and at least 250 episodes have been made. I'd like The Looney Tunes Show to come back. Wabbit just isn't cutting it and I don't think it's being picked up for a second season. I want to see more of Lola and Tina.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yum

Yum Active Member

As much as I'm aware she was never a prominent or well-received character in the Animaniacs universe, for a potential reboot, I feel that maybe Minerva would have better reception if she had a more Spongebob-esque personality, as opposed to her predecessor's narcissistic personality. Lately, girls in modern animation have taken on either a Wildstyle-esque attitude or a Mabel-esque attitude, or Star-esque attitude.

Minerva in the old show was nothing but a sex symbol, an object, and proud of it; a trophy wife, if you will, whose only major priorities were her looks, and maintaining her looks, and using her looks to attract the hottest guy possible. Compared to Kitty Katswell of TUFF Puppy, she's a selfish misanthrope beneath all the curves and makeup. My hypothetical version of Minerva would take many of the traits presented in characters like Wander and Spongebob and imbue them with her character; traits like loyalty, optimism, kindness, geekiness, stubbornness, generosity, and Star's hyperactivity. Somewhere along the lines of Bessie Higgenbottom, or Be Cool Scooby Doo's Daphne. Or pair her with a more active female lead with those qualities, that way, she could be presented as being more human and relatable, similar to Bugs and Daffy.

The point is, that I want her to do SOMETHING on screen rather than treat herself like an object. By making her less shallow, I feel that audiences will be able to sympathize with and care for her, placing less focus on her looks and beauty, and more on how she handles situations and her relationships with other characters, as well as present some positive aspects of her character. You see tons of girls doing a lot more than shopping nowadays in cartoons, why not her? I understand that she was materialistic so it's easier to laugh at her when she loses herself just staring at a hot guy, jewelry, or money. But she becomes easy to hate when those traits are supposed to be the main focus for over 7 minutes. She's kind of materialistic in most of the comics I've read featuring her.

I've been thinking lately, of pairing Minerva with Dot Warner in this reboot, so we can display how materialistic and negative a role model Minerva is compared to Yakko. Yakko and his siblings were hellions and proud of it, but at least he never told Dot to treat herself like an object to be ogled over. Compared to Minerva, Yakko might be considered more of a positive role model.

Suppose Minerva played a scout leader of a troop of girl scouts, which Dot happens to be in. This could present Dot as a straight-man to Minerva's materialistic and vain behavior, skewing classic girl scout activities like taking care of the elderly, taking care of nature, and survival quests, all day long, just selling cookies and looking cute. We would then see how Yakko is a more positive influence on Dot than Minerva, as we see Dot taking control of many situations in the same way her brother might, rather than Minerva, who'd rather sit back and tend to her image.

The way this plot would play out, Dot would angrily remind Minerva that this troop is the worst troop in all of scouting, showing off their image to guys and shopping rather than actually earning badges. This would play on Minerva's insecurity and force her to make an effort to prove herself a capable leader.

Honestly, If I were the president of WBA, I would cancel anymore Tom and Jerry and Scooby-Doo projects and refocus the studio's priorities of reviving the one property people have been asking for, a NEW version of Animaniacs.
    I am well aware that it would be near impossible in THIS day and age to pull off the humor they got away with back then, but if we find the proper people, I feel this could work. I can't help but feel sorry for these 1930's anachronisms known as the Warner Brothers and Sister had to miss out on the 21st century, while WB is falling flat on their face trying to reinvent and reboot probably the only two franchises they have left, wasting money on these new half-baked DTV movies. Not to mention DTA is preparing a DuckTales reboot next year which is being hyped big time.

Just like how Sega turned to Christian Whitehead to develop Sonic Mania, I would turn to the one internet celebrity who time and again has professed his love for the original show and has also hobnobbed with quite a couple of the original voice actors: the Nostalgia Critic himself, Doug Walker. His own web series is just as irreverent and comedic as the original series, in my opinion, and I believe Walker would do a perfect job as a showrunner; since most reboots seem to succeed with passionate fans of the source material, it would be a crime to NOT include Walker into some part of the production, either screenwriter, director, producer, consultant, anything. Dave Alvarez would be a perfect art director/character designer, and Mark Christiansen would also serve the show well. Joanna Davidovich, I want to make animation director, Eric Goldberg as animation supervisor/director, and Mark Kausler could be the one to redesign Yakko, Wakko, and Dot, given his preference for the 1930s style cartoons. If an emotional episode needs to come into play, another great director would be Andy Beall(Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown).

As I am aware that it would upset the fans of the original, I feel like Kristen Li(PPG 2016) would make a perfect Dot; her take on Bubbles is a little more assertive than the original Bubbles by Tara Strong. Since I find that Tress MacNeile and Kristen Li sound similar, would anyone really notice if Li voiced Dot rather than Tress? I feel Li would slip into the role of Dot like a glove, not only successfully replicating the voice, but redefining it, given that her voice stays the same if an actual reboot were greenlit. I also feel that Jenette MacCurdy(iCarly, Sam and Cat, Game On, Swindle, etc.) would make a perfect Rita.

I would also like to incorporate some new animation styles for the show; expect to see mediums like claymation, pixel-mation, paper cut-out, Maya-type CGI, anime, Adobe Character Animate CC, Lego, and so on. Pinky and the Brain's theme song would be updated with a 1960's Secret Agent Man-styled theme and style with a woman singing the lyrics, guitar playing, and this secret agent type beat behind it. Christophe Heral(Rayman Origins, Legends) would be the composer of the show's music. Also, hypothetically, expect to see internet animators like Harry Partridge, VivziePop, WonChop, etc, maybe even the late Eric W. Schwarz of Sabrina Online fame to contribute.

For the most part, I expect this new series to be animated by the same studio behind the Looney Tunes Show, Toon City Animation; they did a good job during the first season, I feel they can pull off Wakko, Yakko, and Dot too. Most of the original voices will return, also a new character I hope will be voiced by The Mysterious Mr. Enter, among other internet celebrities, like Black Nerd and Animat. Sam Lavagino could be Skippy Squirrel.

Of course, a tall order like this would be near impossible to fill, and the core people selected would be impossible to convince, but those are my core selections for a potential Animaniacs reboot. Of course, I understand that none of this is remotely even possible without Steven Spielberg or Tom Ruegger's ok, and Warner Bros. ok for that matter. I just figured it would give WB a fighting chance against Disney and Nickelodeon, who have been announcing reboots for their classic shows. I acknowledge that it would take MONTHS UPON MONTHS before even ONE episode is complete, and unfortunately, haven't got the patience for that sort of thing. That and the probability of WB handing us a generous amount of money to finance and promote this well-anticipated show is ten million to one. Of course, hype will be at the center of this thing, and I want the promotion to pull out all the stops, from the show's logo appearing on the back of Variety covers, to Happy Meal toys, bus stops, billboards, balloons, merchandise, celebrities doing covers of some of the original songs, trains, commercials, even the WB water tower would have to change its colors to red and gold to fit the show, and the Yakko balloon going right back on top. ANYTHING to create hype, Loud House type of hype, if you will.

But these are just mere dreams of a fanboy; delusions if you will. Of course, WB would not be THIS generous with their money. But anyhow, please feel free to voice your opinions on my choices for the reboot; is the talent I've selected dependable and talented enough? Is anything I've written down too unrealistic and over the top? Please feel free to let me know.

I have been thinking about a more serious look into the Warners' psychology; specifically Yakko Warner, obviously the eldest of the three. As he is the one who calls the shots in the family, it must feel alienating and lonely being the only thing close to an adult in a family comprised of mere children. When you look at cartoons from the early and mid-2000s, you always see the eldest sibling condescending towards, belittling, and being embarrassed by the mere presence of their younger siblings. With the Warners, you barely get that at all, Yakko always seems to treat Wakko and Dot like equals, and likewise, they look up to him like a role model; he's less embarrassed about his relations, and the trio always seems to get along quite well.

Now imagine if that bond were threatened by romance; as cliche as it may sound, if a girl Yakko's age entered the picture, it might drive a spike between Yakko and his younger siblings. It would make Yakko realize he is growing too old to be goofing around and pulling the same antics that he used to with his siblings. He would come to this realization through trying to make himself look more mature for this girl, ultimately pushing his siblings aside, similar to Gravity Falls, how Ford's proposition threatens to separate the Pines twins, and how Dipper tried to escape trick-or-treating to go to the Halloween party with Wendy.

Things would REALLY go downhill if Yakko suddenly felt sad being the only single adult, then we'd see a VERY different take on everyone's favorite 90s cartoon. The way I have it envisioned, Yakko would become very depressed, to the point where his actual age would begin to show, his face would go from white to flesh-tone, he'd grow pimples, and bushy eyebrows. You'd see actual facial hair grow on his cheeks, his eyes would become blood red, and his whole face hanging in an unusual frown. He wouldn't even put on pants. As a reference to the original series, where Tom Rugger had a giant Yakko balloon on top of the water tower for promotion, an unusually depressed and disheveled Yakko would sit on top of the water tower while the entire Warner staff, siblings included looks on in disbelief and concern. In all the years they'd known him, they'd never seen him like this. It casts sort of a dark shadow over the studio.

I think it would be interesting to see Yakko interact on his own with other people his own age rather than his own siblings; we'd see Yakko's loyalty to his family show every moment he's not with them, or he'd reveal he had to do something with his siblings. There might be a lot of things Yakko missed out on that other 14-year-old adolescents do; like rave parties and skateboarding, and video games, things that he can't do with either Wakko or Dot.

#22Yum, Yesterday at 4:37 PM

#90 Yum, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2017
  11. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Well with Minerva they'd do what they do with Red in recent Tom and jerry movies

12. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

Always wondered, is Who Framed Rodger Rabbit the reason these cartoons were successful? Also I can live without both of them.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

13. Yum

Yum Active Member

We're ANIMANIACS!!
    Dot is cute, and Yakko yaks!
    Wakko packs away the snacks,
    while Teen Titans get the ax!!
    (cane drags Teen Titans Go versions offstage stage left, Yakko Wakko and Dot quickly leap in their place, Yakko clearly holding the cane)
    we're ANIMANIACS!!

14. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy

Huh? Why are you randomly quoting the opening theme?

15. Yum

Yum Active Member

The thought of that Animaniacs reboot is that exciting
    It's how I'd update the theme

16. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

I'd like to share some of my ideas:

Idea 1: If P&tB got their own spinoff, then why don't some other Animaniacs characters/character teams get their own reboots? At one point a friend and I were half-joking and said Minerva should get a spinoff, but that'd only work IMO if a) Her character was developed beyond just "a pretty face desparate for a husband," and b) it was intended to be shown on Adult Swim or something like that.

Idea 2: At the expense of angering some fans, I'd like to say that when I was 12 I had the idea of an Animaniacs reboot where one of the 3 Warner siblings was "replaced." This was intended to be a friendly stab at the post-Curly Three Stooges.* (Curly was replaced by Shemp in 1946 after Curly had a stroke) The question is, which Warner sib do we replace? Originally Dot was the one who was going to get replaced, but then again she's just too plain cute. Wakko? Nah, he's my fave! Yakko? Heck no--he's the leader of the gang! Man, this is hard...

Idea 3: Tiny Toons: The Post-Graduation Years: After graduating from Acme Looniversity, the cast of Tiny Toons (saved for Hamton and Plucky, who've since moved out of Acme Acres**) have taken on the task of tutoring a new generation of Acme Loo students (some even resembling Hanna-Barbera characters, given the Turner/Time Warner merger).

*I now understand the Warner sibs are more Marx Bros. Than Three Stooges, but what do you expect? I was 12!

**The departure of Hamton and Plucky, as you can probably guess, is a device designed to circumvent both their respective VA'a passings and the need to recast them. I don't have anything against voice recasts in general, but sometimes my conscience sort of bothers me. VA's often tend to provide more than just a voice to a character, and those qualities can very rarely if at all be duplicated by a sound-alike. So I'm going with the old saying, "When the actor goes, the characters go with him." However, the idea is that in this new show, among the new Acme Loo students are Hamton and Plucky's little cousins, giving a "gone but not forgotten" vibe to the show.

17. Yum

Yum Active Member

Excellent! Love to hear some fresh new ideas concerning these guys! Really love the feedback I'm getting!

I've also had some ideas about one of the Warners being replaced too; since Yakko is the head of the family, LITERALLY the one who wears the proverbial pants, what would happen if he got taken out of the picture?

Say Yakko's been meeting this girl for awhile, then they break up after one of the Warners' "bits". Let's have Yakko break down in such a depressed, pessimistic mood, opposite of what he normally is, you know, all happy and smart-alecky. I mean, SERIOUSLY DEPRESSED, meh-emoji depressed. Face hanging down in a permanent frown, bags under his eyes, BLOODSHOT eyes, the whites of his eyes are showing, as well as his biological age, thick bushy eyebrows, 5 o'clock shadow, pimples, and this whole, disheveled look about him. Even the studio staff is alarmed and worried about Yakko in this state. And soon everyone's staring up at the once happy-go-lucky Warner up on that water tower with great concern and alarm.

Since Yakko is in a funk, Wakko and Dot propose to find themselves a new Yakko to take care of them, finally settling on materialistic Minerva Mink of all people, to take the place of Yakko.

#97 Yum, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  18. MoonLighter

MoonLighter New Member

You know to be honest, I grew up with Tiny Toons. It was my most favorite show of all time. I wonder why they didn't put season 3 on Amazon Or something. They should at least put season 3 on there. They must have forgotten about season. But I really do miss Tiny Toons Adventures, and I wish Cartoon Network would let them have it back. Those guys were so funny and stuff. And I just can't see Tiny Toons has to go away forever.