How common are anime with an adult cast in adult situations?

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Mr HooPoe, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Mr HooPoe

Mr HooPoe New Member

It seems that a lot of Japanese cartoons (as I prefer to call so-called anime due to the constant debates over the word's definition) focus on characters under the age of eighteen, trying to relate to people of a similar age. A lot of those tend to be people in their late school years, likely because Japanese students need to relate to cartoons to calm themselves of their overly worked minds.

I know that young ones ought to have characters with which to relate, but there seems to be a severe lack of Japanese animation about adults and exploring the adult experience. (It might have to do with a lack of support or little with which to work in their lifestyles.) That is not to say that they do not exist; some very popular Japanese movies and shows (in Japan, anyway) do this. However, ignoring these, the number of shows in this genre is lacking.

Does anyone else notice this? Does anyone else want shows of this genre?

2. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Goku is like nearly 50 years old in Super currently, lol.

The Dragonball cast did start off as kids/teens but they aged into adults pretty quickly. Besides the addition of new kids like Gohan and Trunks/Goten, etc.

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

Most anime tend to be around forever basically. Adults are thrown in on occasion but some anime tend to start them off as kids then age them to adults which really doesn't change them that much in the aging process.

4. Mr HooPoe

Mr HooPoe New Member

That makes sense in retrospect. However, what about shows that start with the main characters as adults? Off the top of my head, Sazae-san is probably the most popular one in that category.

Let me put it this way. These characters seem to be designed to relate to children and teenagers with their similar ages. Occasionally they may grow up like the viewers (or separately, if you will). Shows starring adults would likely relate to adults (but now that I think about it, the lack of initial adult protagonists in Japanese animation may be due to more of them in live-action).

5. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

They're getting more common, especially ones about young adults entering the workforce/finding their passion in life. Some recent examples:

New Game!
    Sakura Quest
    Shirobako
    Silver Spoon
    Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
    Yuri!!! on Ice

6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

There's also Animation Runner Kuromi, about a woman who production manages an animation studio.

7. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

I remember one I saw a long time ago, The Legend of Black Heaven, about a middle-aged office worker going through mid-life crisis and reminiscing about the heavy metal band he and his friends had when they were young.

Then a strange girl has him take up his guitar and get his old band back together to fight an interstellar war and play their music to save the world from destruction.

8. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

There's quite a few. No mention of Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Ghost in the Shell, One Punch Man, Big O, Trigun, Lupin III, Black Lagoon, Hellsing, or Tokyo Ghoul? Of course, these are fantastical anime mostly. I guess for "realistic" adult anime, there are a few like Nodome Cantibile.

9. artotaku

artotaku New Member

I see your point. But also I think even though there are a lot of young characters, the story is very adult and the themes involved are mature enough that older people can relate. Lots of anime if you see the age classification on those are 18 plus.