1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

How Come There Are More Live Action Actors Taking On Cartoon Roles

Discussion in 'The Voice Actors Appreciation Society' started by SweetShop209, Sep 14, 2016.

1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

The title speaks for itself. While having live action actors taking on animation roles is nothing new (especially in theatrical animated films), I've noticed it's become more prevalent in recent years for television cartoons.

For example, Kate Micucci has made a name for herself in voice acting with shows like Motorcity, Nature Cat, Star Darlings, Steven Universe, Be Cool Scooby Doo, and more. However, she started voice acting on a regular basis at 31-32 years old with Motorcity even though other people known primarily for voice acting (such as Tara Strong and Grey DeLisle Griffin) already built up a substantial voice acting profile when they were that age.

There's also with The Looney Tunes Show. Kristen Wiig voiced Lola even though Kath Soucie could've reprised the role. I thought she would've done so in Looney Tunes: Rabbit Run, but Lola ended up voiced by Rachel Ramras (a writer for the show and the movie).

I can understand with casting the young actors from live action kid shows in animation roles since they're still trying to make a name for themselves in television. A few examples are Ashley Tisdale on Phineas And Ferb and Sabrina Carpenter on Sofia The First & Milo Murphy's Law.

I'm not saying this is bad since the actors do give good performances with the characters they voice and those known primarily for voice acting still have Plenty of animation roles. I'm
    Just wondering why it's become more commonplace in recent years.

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

It is definitely going up, but my problem is that they really don't sound that the characters don't sound different from the VA at times, I know that is what they want them to sound but for me I really wish they would make them get a little more creative in voice sound.

3. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I think it's because TV cartoons are trying to become more like there animated movie counterparts!

4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

It all depends on the scenario.

To address the topic du jour, live-action stars, or, "face actors", have been cast in cartoons for years. In the modern era, we've seen a few extend their careers by turning to voice acting. One of the more recent examples would be Phil LaMarr, who had been on MadTV, but then his career really took off with his voice work (i.e. Samurai Jack, Justice League, Static Shock).

Another example might be Michael Dorn, who was cast in Gargoyles, likely on the recommendation of Star Trek: The Next Generation castmate Jonathan Frakes, who was also cast on Gargoyles. Dorn's done more toon work while also working on Deep Space Nine, as I recall.

For someone like Ashley Tisdale, who was a Disney contract player when Phineas & Ferb started (i.e. "High School Musical"), it was something to pass the time until she started getting more adult roles. With Phineas out of production, coupled with the failure of Sabrina: Secrets of a Teenage Witch, it might be that Ashley's toon career is on hold. We'll see.

5. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

I guess they just want a unique sounding voice. I've seen people online complain about some cartoons being distracting, because they hear Tom Kenny, or Patrick Warburton, ect. So I guess they're just addressing these complaints.