1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hollywood Launches Bidding War Over Pokemon Movie

Discussion in 'Toonzone News Comments' started by peter-paltridge, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

2. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

I thought this franchise had a TON of movies.

3. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

If it wasn't so late, I'd say this was an April fools' joke.

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I would take WB for the win in this competition given on how they had some history with the anime for the first 8 seasons.

5. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

NO we did not ask for a live-action Pokemon movie! Just stop Hollywood! Did they run out of books to adapt into movies so now they have to adapt video games?! We have seen first-hand how most game-based movies turn out **coughSuperMarioBroscough** & it's NOT pretty!

Most video games do NOT translate well to movies but then again Pokemon does have a story but I KNOW they will screw it up if they absolutely had to do a Pokemon movie it should have been animated by one of the big US animation studios like Dreamworks or Illumination! The ONLY VG movie that actually looks like it stays true to it's source material (perhaps because it's ANIMATED) is the upcoming movie for Ratchet & Clank! (which I do want to see)

Besides I thought Nintendo wanted to stay away from Hollywood after the travesty known as SMB! So who's commissioning this?

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It does, but this is a bidding war over the rights to make a live action movie from the look of things.

Personally, I wouldn't get upset over just a bidding war simply because that's no guarantee that anything is going to come out of it. Nintendo has been extremely careful with their properties after the Super Mario Bros. movie. TPCI would also most likely want to be cautious about any movie as well. Not to mention a lot of movies based off of video games and especially anime are stuck in development for years before something happens. Because of that, I have my doubts that this would lead into a live action Pokemon movie. I'm not sure if Pokemon would work as a live action movie anyway. They possibly would have more creative freedom since compared to other franchises, as it could be either based on the games or the anime, but the concept doesn't quite work with live action actors interacting with CGI Pokemon. A CGI animated movie could work out better, but I don't know if they'd go in that direction.

Still, I wouldn't be upset over just a bidding war. If we actually get something solid about a movie in the future, then that anger could be more justified, but here, there's no guarantee that we'll get anything out of this.

7. superspidey2257

superspidey2257 Your Friendly Neighbourhood Forum User

well keep in mind that horrible super mario bros movie was made when movies were very different.
    I reckon if a company attempted it now, they would know what works in a film franchise these days and what doesn't work.

8. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I liked the Super Mario Bros. movie, but regardless of its perceived (lack of) quality, Nintendo may be willing to give live-action adaptations another chance (remember, that Mario film came out nearly 25 years ago). I feel like a Pokemon movie could work in live-action, and I'd certainly watch it, but right now this could very well go nowhere. Weren't there rumblings of a Metroid movie years ago?