"Hocus Pocus" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Auggie Doggie, Oct 1, 2003.

?

Pengy Poll: Rate This Movie and Post Your Comments

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Auggie Doggie

Auggie Doggie Timmy Turner

Hocus Pocus

I saw it a few times recently on Disney Channel.

In any case, am I like the only person on the planet who likes this 1992 movie about three witches who reek havoc on modern-day Salem, MA? I thought there were some nice elements to the story, including the boy having a hard time adapting to his new environment moving from LA to Salem and the message about brothers and sisters.

What do any of you think of this film, which I find to be a fond memory of my childhood?

2. Bubblegum Girl

Bubblegum Girl Magic User Wannabe

You're not alone my friend. I really like that movie too. It's one of my favorite Halloween movies. :D I just love Halloween movies and TV specials. I once saw Hocus Pocus on HBOFamily.

3. Yuss

Yuss New Member

It's one of those movies that I like only because I liked it when I was little. I do like it, though.

4. Elven Moon

Elven Moon hiya, toonsters

I saw it in the theater in 1993 when it came out. I was... 12. And yes, it is a part of my childhood fond memories, even if I don't watch it anymore.

5. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

My mom wouldn't let me wathc it when I was younger cuz of the massive ammounts of cleavage.

I saw it on video

6. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I saw this in the theater, too. I don't know why. I must have been 17 when it came out. I remember paying the most attention to the fact that Charles Rocket was in it, because I had just read a book about Saturday Night Live recounting how he got fired for saying the fabulous F-Word on the air.

It's worth remembering, though, because it was one of Thora Birch's first major roles. She was probably 10.

7. Behonkiss

Behonkiss Just put an X here and here...

I'll just be the first to say I completely hate this movie.

8. Drachentöter

Drachentöter Good night. And good luck.

This was pretty funny and original. An excellent family movie. Bette Midler was hilarious and Sarah Jessica Parker was hot.

9. Terminatah

Terminatah Badass Cyborg

This movie is classic Halloween magic. From a time when kids' movies were treated seriously. And Bette Midler's musical number is the icing on the cake. This is one of the required viewings of the holiday.

-Terminatah

10. DarkPoet89

DarkPoet89 Soujiro's back!

I remember seeing this movie in a theater when I was about 7. I loved it then and I still love it now. I remember loving the scene where the witches were singing that "put a spell on you" song and everybody couldn't stop dancing. It was hilarious! Ah, such good memories of my childhood.

11. Old Guy

Old Guy New Member

This movie is a childhood favorite of mine. I try to see it every Halloween season. I actually saw it this afternoon to be exact. It has the right amount of "horror" and humor. What's shocking is that the movie was directed by Kenny Ortega, the mastermind behind High School Musical. Oh, and Allison (Vinessa Shaw) was hot. :)

LMFAO. :D

12. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I never got the hatred that most people for this Disney movie. It's like the haters wanted it to be darker and more sinister, forgetting that it's a DISNEY movie.

I saw in the theater as well, although I was kind of thrown by the fact that there were scenes in the trailer (like the witches winding up in a grocery store) that weren't in the final cut.

Another thing that helped was that Omri Katz (Max) had previous experience with the supernatural, having starred in Eerie, Indiana just a few years previous.

And yes, 'I put a spell on you' was the highlight of that movie. I'd love to have an MP3 of that song.

13. Luna

Luna Daydreamer

I like this movie....I first saw it when it came out on video....I enjoyed the Sanderson sisters (played by Bette Midler,Sarah Jessica Parker,and Kathy Najimy) alot,and also liked Binx the cat (voiced by Jason Marsden)...
    I bought the DVD last year,and will be watching it again this year as it gets closer to Halloween...

14. Old Guy

Old Guy New Member

I wasn't even aware that people hated this movie. :confused:

I didn't see it in theaters. I saw it when it came out on PPV. Also, when I was in Elementary School it, along with Nightmare Before Christmas, were always shown on Halloween. It was like a school tradition for some reason.

Yea. That kid was awesome. Whatever happened to him?

I love that song!

15. Movie06

Movie06 New Member

I'm amazed that Mick Garris actually wrote the film.