1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Histeria!: The Complete Series to be released through Warner Archive

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Planty, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Planty

Planty Hix Nix Pix, Flick Needs Fix

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Wow, I'm the first to reply?

Well, um, I'm looking forward to it. I haven't seen very much of Histeria!, so this'll be a perfect opportunity. And I think WB made the right choice with DVD-R in this case, since the sales for it aren't guaranteed to be good for one of their lesser-known shows.

3. Cartoon_central

It's about time, it should've gotten released a long time ago.

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Got to say how long has this been overdue.

5. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

But, it won't be really complete if it doesn't have both versions of "Megalomaniacs".

6. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

Great news for me. I never got to see this show back in the day (I think it was on at a weird time or something).

7. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I doubt they're aware of this problem. The last time Histeria was made available anywhere was on the In2TV website, and that site had the original version with the Convert or Die sketch. I'm guessing that's what's on the master and it'll be what we get. The Custer's Last Stand sketch will just exist only in bootleg form.

8. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Guess what, people?

[​IMG]

It's the Custer version!

This is quite a surprise, given what I just said up there -- the last time WB released Histeria anywhere it was the other version.

I have a recording of the Custer sketch that I was prepared to release to YouTube if this turned out to have Convert or Die. I don't have Convert or Die, so....anyone else?

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

I got my copy a couple days ago and watched two episodes so far. I didn't care for the first episode very much ("Inventors Hall of Fame part 1"), but the follow-up episode ("US Civil War part 1") was a big improvement. I especially liked the extended Seinfeld parody starring Abe Lincoln!

10. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Civil War Part 2 has the Ken Burns parody; that's one of the high points of the series.

11. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

This was made as show 2 and was renamed to not have "part 1" in the title. Show 1's title was shortened to "Inventors".

12. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Does anybody know who at StarToons animated the dictionary sketch in "Writers of the Purple Prose"? I was impressed with that sequence- it was full of strong poses and quick timing.

13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

I've now watched the whole series for the first time ever. Overall, I'd rank is as decent. My favorite comedic WBA production is still Tiny Toons, followed by either Freakazoid or Animaniacs.

In hindsight, I can see why the show failed in its initial run. While it was meant to be for kids with its educational content, it actually aimed older in general, with its references to old school singers and movies/TV shows that I could see kids of 1998 being in the dark on. That, combined with the unfair "eeew, it's educational, I'm not going to watch, no matter how well-put-together it is!" attitudes that kids seem to have, plus Pokemon taking the world by storm, and being more talky than some of WBA's other shows, means the show didn't have a chance. And it's definitely not a show which could be done today, giving it a "lightning in a bottle" quality.

It did a good job with the educational content. I always did well in history in school, and am not averse to reading about the past, but I still learned something from the show (or was reminded of stuff I forgot), so in that sense, it did its job.

Unfortunately, the show didn't get me to laugh as much as I would've liked. There were certainly some winner episodes, such as the aforementioned Civil War Parts 1 & 2 and Hooray For Presidents, but too many didn't do much for me. There were a few running gags that I never found funny but the show kept insisting on recycling, like "Please turn your TV's volume to its maximum level" and "Big Fat Baby hasn't been changed for a really long time" and in general, the skit "Ask Me If I Care".

The characters were a mixed bag. Unfortunately, a lot of characters were defined by their running gags instead of being fully fleshed out. Pepper Mills always shrieks and begs for an autograph, then gets annoyed that it's not the person she thought. Charity Bazaar isn't happy. Loud Kiddington shouts everything. You get the idea. I did light up whenever Miss Information appeared, though. I think it's that Southern accent. Or the cheery personality. The World's Oldest Woman also had her comedic moments, too.

Animation-wise, it's one of the weaker WBA shows. TMS was long gone from WB's comedic shows, which was a shame. As for what studios DID participate, there was too little StarToons, too much Koko and Wang. Watching a couple episodes a night, I really started to get tired of the same animation styles over and over, especially from Wang, whose way of drawing and animating the characters actually started to get on my nerves (such as the grinding teeth mouth movements).

The music was mostly solid (as expected from a '90s WBA show), but it did tend to re-use the same song cues over and over. Did we really have to hear "Shortnin' Bread" and "La Marseillaise" SO many times?

I'm definitely glad I bought it, since this was a show I missed out on in its initial run and never caught the reruns. But I don't think I'll be re-watching many of them.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #13 SB20xx, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  14. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

From personal experience, I know that this is true.
    I can't argue that one.

I thought that one was okay.

Normally, I'd agree, but somehow it works with them being placed in different historical settings.

Well, it's not like anyone had billions to throw at Startoons. Could've been great...

• Like Like x 1
  15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

This is true. For example, I'm sure Pepper Mills had a laundry list of people she wanted autographs from. But my point is, every time she appears, I know what the gag is going to be.
    I wouldn't expect them to send every episode to StarToons (and to be fair, I probably would've gotten tired of StarToons' style as well if they had done every episode), but it would've been nice to see an episode or two from a studio other than Wang or Koko. Like, Philippine Animation Studio Inc. I know they did uncredited assistance on the show but I'm talking an episode animated entirely by them.