"Heroes: Reborn" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Yojimbo, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

In a stunning turn, NBC announced Heroes will return for a 13 episode mini series titled Heroes Reborn" and a digital series will debut online prior to introduce characters and new storylines in 2015. Tim Kring will return as Executive Producer.

2. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

First 24, now this? What other mid-2000s network drama will get a short miniseries? Can't wait to see ABC do Lost: Missing, or Numb3rs: Calculus. The possiblities are endless!

But in all seriousness...why? At least 24 had more than one good season, and is fondly remembered. Heroes had a great first season...and that's it. But there could be some potential, so I'll just see what happens.

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

I remember this coming on the air when TV shows were rarely patterned after comic books. It got attention mainly for that. It's a different world now. I don't think it has what it takes to compete, especially if it performs along the same level as every season with a number greater than 1.

4. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

While this smacks of desperation on NBC's part, I'll give this a spin. This show had a phenomenal first season and a...rocky go after that. Still,I hate when a show that's been on for four or five seasons doesn't get a proper conclusion, so I'm glad this is coming back.

I'm hoping they just keep this a miniseries so they can plan accordingly. I doubt this will perform all that well, but you never know.

5. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Man NBC is hurting so bad they are bringing back this travesty. 13 episodes seems like a lot as well considering how poorly Heroes was received by the end. Still probably the fastest I've ever seen a show go from mega hit to embarrassment. People like to blame the strike but that's always been nonsense to me seeing as other shows were able to get past that minor stumbling block. It was a poorly written show lead by clowns in Tim Kring and Jeph Loeb who didn't know what they were doing and that's why it flamed out so quick.

6. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

My guess? It probably has something to do with the recent success of Marvel and DC properties and now NBC wants a piece of the super hero pie as well.

7. darkdetective

darkdetective Reporter

So wait, this isn't based on that Rob Leifeld Marvel Comics event?

8. CoolEric158

Nope. It's based off of an NBC series that came out in the mid-2000s, about these ordinary people that gain these incredible powers, and them adjusting to their new lives as well as joining together to save the world. It was essentially X-Men. It lasted 4 seasons, then disappeared after harsh reception for every season higher than 1. Then, with Arrow and SHIELD becoming big hits for their network, NBC decided to return Heroes to get some superhero moolah, giving it a miniseries, as well as to clean up and finish the storylines after its cancellation.

9. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince

Despite how terrible it got, I stuck with this show to the end and I'm stoked for this new series. Hopefully they can create a compelling story and really capture the season 1 magic. I'm curious as to whether or not they'll get any of the originals back. Everyone seems pretty busy.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

I agree with the general conclusion the show got worse with each season. The thing I hated the most was how they mishandled the Company. There was so much to explore. But it had to be about Peter, Noah and Sylar all the time. I generalize, but still. But the thing that I really enjoyed about Heroes was how it used the Internet to expand the universe - digital comics, digital shorts, clue hunts, interactive stories, the create your own character game, websites, and the Assignment Trackers. A character I created in the game even got used once for a chapter of an interactive story. So I'm really on the fence about this news. It depends what the story is and how it's executed. I get that the last scene in the last episode was supposed to be this 'full circle' notion from the pilot of Claire looking into the camera, I still found Claire's choice to out herself, and thus everyone, to be really stupid and selfish. So if this mini draws a more fitting conclusion, I'll be satisfied. If it creates a worse ending and more questions, naturally I'll regret tuning in.

11. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

This can only be a kneejerk reaction by NBC to the new 24 series. The problem is... where are they going to find people to watch this since the original show is not quite as fondly remembered as some of the other truck operas of the day.

12. Kindness King

Kindness King New Member

GOOD.

Yes, the second season and the first half of the third weren't done well but a lot of that was because that stupid writer's strike screwed them over. Jeph Loeb was also a big part of the problem, but he's likely going to be too busy at Marvel so already this miniseries should have a better chance. What was wrong with season 4?

13. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

Is this awesome news or am I a guinea pig that hasn't learned yet how to avoid an electric shock? You don't know which Heroes is going to show up.

I could scarcely believe they really made a show as good as season one. But then it got progressively worse.
    They couldn't stick to a story line and they randomly switched everyone's powers for no reason.
    Then the characters started acting stupid solely for creating conflict in the story. Really, Nathan is a flyer, the most impossible to conceal power, but without any prompting he decides to make having any kind of power a crime that gets a hood thrown over your head and tossed in a dungeon.
    And for a show that doesn't think twice about killing off characters, they would make Claire Bear the center of the show long after she had anything interesting to contribute. But that was just the direction the show was headed. In the end the big bad circus guy was more of a whiny teenaged girl then Claire ever was.

I think this is about as much a mini-series as "Under the Dome" was.

Truck opera?
    Like Movin' On or B.J. and the Bear?

14. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Truck Opera (Tr'uk Op-ra), N.: Derived from the coloquialism "soap opera" used to define daytime female-oriented serialized dramas sponsored by detergent manufacturer Proctor & Gamble. Refers to male oriented nighttime dramas sponsored by automobile manufacturers such as Ford and GMC. Term originates with the 2001 Fox series 24, where main protagonist Jack Bauer drove a Ford Expedition in its initial season. Popular examples include: Lost, Heroes, Breaking Bad, and Fringe. See also: Soap Opera, Space Opera, Horse Opera, Game Opera.

15. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

Ah, quite logical.
    I'm surprised we don't see more old fashioned advertizing methods like that, or FOX sports using product placements in their name.

The Petri Family, the family that took time to bring you good wine, invites you to watch Dr. Suresh tell another story about his mutant friends.

16. CoolEric158

Oh it's still done. On The Blacklist, everybody in this universe drives a Mercedes-Benz. And I still remember the final shot from the Winter finale. There's a panning shot of some New York street, and one of the taxi cabs had a Frozen ad right on top of it, and as the camera zooms out, that Frozen ad is pretty conspicuously bright.

17. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

This certainly came out of nowhere. I stopped following after the second season, but I'd like to give this mini-series a spin, if only to support it as such a dark horse.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

19. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member

They're getting back to the basics.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Hmm. I like Kring is bringing it back to square one that made fan love the series in the first place. Hopefully since it's a mini-series and digital series, Kring has a set vision for the story and will execute it better. It'll be kind of fun to compare season one with this mini-series when all is done. The digital series, I'm sort of lukewarm to. They previously used the web content to expand the universe, but at points they strayed too far along. On one hand, I'm hoping the digital series has a story and cast I care about but it's better tied into the story in the mini-series.