1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[HELP]Info on Atom Smasher, kind of...

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by MrKrodicus, May 9, 2005.

1. MrKrodicus

MrKrodicus Guest

Long time lurker, yadda yadda

Anyway, I have a question for some of the brilliant DC animation experts on the Toon Zone forums. (you guys rock by the way)

I was talking to a friend the other day as I was thumbing thru the new issue of Wizard and one of the pages in the back had pictures of the new JLU toy line. Just for goofs (cause I knew he didn't know much about comics or cartoons) I asked him to name 5 of the characters. I expected him to get Superman, Batman, Flash, and Wonder Woman. I didn't think he could get one more (for the record the others were:Atom Smasher, Booster gold, Martian ManHunter, Aztec, Sinestro, Wild Cat, Wave Rider, Metamorpho, HawkGirl, Hawk, and Dove). Then he looked over the picture and pointed to Atom Smasher and said, "That's Atom Smasher." I was shocked. So I asked how he knew that. He said that he saw him on a cartoon a long time ago with (as he points to hawkgirl) that girl, I think her name is Vaylkire. I kept telling him he was mistaken, but he swears he's right. He said that Atom Smashers power was nuclear energy blasts(which makes me suspect) and he swears that he saw this cartoon. I've been watching super hero cartoons for over 30 years, and I have no idea what he was talking about.

Can anyone help?

2. Trevor Balena

Trevor Balena Active Member

Atom Smasher is actually the second costumed identity adopted by Al Rothstein. He was previously Nuklon, but took the name Atom Smasher in JSA #1 about six years ago.

So, unless our Atom Smasher bears a striking resemblance to another character that's also named Atom Smasher that has been around for a long time (and I know of no such character), then I don't see how your friend could have known about him. Unless he reads comics, that is, or caught "Task Force X", which so far has only aired here in Canada.

Unless... It could be that your friend is confusing Atom Smasher with the original Atom (who he does intentionally resemble), and your friend just got the name wrong...

3. Karkull

Karkull Mod of Chaos

This should help you out.

4. Harley_Quinn

Harley_Quinn Honey, get mommy’s bazooka

Wow I always love all the great info. all the poster provide! Just thought I'd mention that....:D