1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Has There Been Any Troll Problems?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by 19MagiswordLane, Oct 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

In the long history of Toonzone, has there been any type of flaming and trolling (extreme or otherwise) that has plagued the site (I've been lurking around for a few years and have never really seen it)? Mods can chime in if they feel free.

2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

About eight years or so ago there was a guy by the name of "owner3467" (not exactly sure on the numbers) who kept on making idiotic threads, fighting with other members, and claiming that other members were editing his posts (he always called this "going advance"). He hung out on the CN board and mostly posted in EEnE or Camp Lazlo threads.

3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Yeah we've had plenty of trolls.

4. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Really? I've been here for over a decade and can only really remember one instance of a major troll, who was banned and only came near the beginning of my being here.

Matt Wilson I guess could have counted as a troll if you squint.

5. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

There was a troll that stands out, though he wasn't a troll in the traditional sense. This was quite the story, and I'm the best to tell it, since I was the one taken advantage of by this guy. Fall 2008, I was super young and had only been on the boards for a few months. This guy named Toonfan1980 came forward with his idea for this thing called "Toonfest." It was to be a weekend in which animation lovers would celebrate by basically having super marathons of various cartoons from Friday night to Sunday night. He called it the Super Bowl, Olympics and Wrestlemania all rolled into one and tailor made for animation fans. I bought it, hook line and sinker. I was new here and I guess I wanted to make a name for myself as a respected member (I like to think I've done that since). So he and I message back and forth trying to plan it and bounce ideas off each other. I bought it, I was excited, all the while not realizing how ludicrous the idea of a three day cartoon marathon was. Again, youth and stupidity. So he starts coming up with crazy ideas and claims. He claimed that he had trademarked "Toonfest '08," he claimed he had been posting on other sites and that hundreds of people were participating, he claimed this was going to be the next "Talk Like A Pirate Day." He really had me convinced this could be a nationally recognized thing someday.

Now for the "troll" part. Again, he wasn't a traditional troll. I was one of the main people posting in the Toonfest thread, but there were at least two or three others who consistently posted also. What I didn't know is that those accounts (the main one was called 'Blackstar') were all Toonfan's clone accounts. Why did he do this? I don't know. He had at least six different accounts. He would post as Toonfan, reply to himself as Blackstar and then reply again with one of his other accounts. At one point Toonfan said he was leaving TZ temporarily, and Blackstar was taking over as leader of Toonfest, and we all believed him. I would PM Blackstar and talk about how I hoped Toonfan was doing well. He must have gotten quite the laugh out of it, which is what I suspect was his motive all along. I think he loved fooling us. I believe Toonfest was a legit idea of his, but still wanted to play this game. So he got found out, and all of his accounts were banned. The remaining people lost enthusiasm for Toonfest soon after, and the thread got unpleasant with people basically doing nothing but accusing each other of being Toonfan in disguise. I know someone accused me of being Toonfan. I wasn't innocent of this, I admit to it. I was still enthused for Toonfest and was disappointed to see people's enthusiasm was fading. Before long I got a PM from a new member who alerted to me to the fact that Toonfan had started his own site and forum and invited me there. They also said they "loved my posts" and basically guaranteed I would be a moderator there. Right away I could tell this was Toonfan. It had the same style of writing Toonfan had, and, like all Toonfan accounts, didn't have an avatar. That poster than posted in the Toonfest thread and tried to defend Toonfan, but ended up posting what still stands as the sickest, most tasteless and disgusting thing I've ever seen on TZ. I won't post it here, it'd get me banned. I had no clue this guy was capable of something so awful. That user was banned (I presume for being Toonfan, though that comment was more than enough to get anyone banned.) I checked in preparation for writing this, and found his old Toonfest '08 website and Myspace page are still up. The forum had something like 10 active members and hasn't been touched in six years. I'm impressed it lasted another two years. I know of at least one other TZ member who angrily left here and became a mod there, writing a TZ trashing post on that site. So that's that. The weirdest troll I ever saw, the guy who couldn't help with this weird joke. As I said, I imagine he found the fact we all bought his weird game hilarious. Tell me, does anyone remember this insanity from 2008? Feels weird to be telling this story, and looking at the old thread was embarrassing for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Wasn't around back then, but I thought Blackstar was a former name of Goldstar Neo, who willingly left these forums with his brother almost a year ago, and he clearly wasn't banned because of this. I did dig up the thread and saw a user named BlackPearl. Is that what you meant?

#6 PinkiePie97, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  7. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

To answer the original question: Yes, there have been the occasional trolls.

Having said that, this thread has the potential to be just used for "airing grievances" against former (and current) Toonzone members. Nothing good can come of that.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.