1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Harvey Beaks Series Talkback

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Bakertoons, Mar 28, 2015.

1. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

Gotta admit, that steampunk jab made me chuckle.

2. Bakertoons

Bakertoons One Sly Princess
    Staff Member Moderator

That was pretty fun. A look at Fee and Foo's relationship (they really are self-raised orphans), the rock finger. This reminds me of Moomin...filtered through Greenblatt's twisted style.

And yes, the steampunk jab was funny.

...that rabbit REALLY likes Harvey :p

3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I only manage to catch the last segment, but it was enough to convince me to watch more. This show is really sweet:

4. Bakertoons

Staff Member Moderator

Just wondering if anyone caught the "Garfield" reference. Harvey was shown reading in his room, and he said something like "Boy, that cat sure loves lasagna"

5. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Great episodes. I'm glad they were still able to make Harvey an interesting character with his personality. It could have been easy to make him bland, but thankfully he isn't.

Well out of the bad Nicktoons, I thought FOP was the least awful. As for new Nicktoons, I'm more looking forward to Sky Rat and I hope they pick up Monster Pack for a series.

6. Pelvix

Pelvix Weirdo

Both new episodes were awesome, the first segment was funnier but the second one I thought was better because we got to see more into Fee and Foos sibling relationship.

Also, does Dade have a crush on Harvey or?....

7. ChikoritaCheezit

ChikoritaCheezit The Random Shipper

Just saw the two new episodes, they were great. The first one was funny with that heartwarming moment at the end and the second was mostly heartwarming and had a sweet song.

What I've noticed with this show is that it seems to suffer from an identity crisis. It feel like it's trying to be that heartwarming Hey Arnold esc. cartoon but is being a bit held back by some Nickelodeon standards. I.E. foced butt jokes and fart jokes that are just there most of the time. It's not enough to ruin the show for me it's just something I noticed.

On a side note, did anyone catch that innuendo in the finger episode where Harvey is trying to look for a book on fingers and lets just say looks in the wrong section?

8. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

The Finger was alright, but kind of unmemorable IMO. The main things I remember was the group-clapping gag, which was awkward enough to be pretty funny, and the scenes with Harvey and the Finger were actually pretty sweet. Personally, I liked the other segment a lot better. The plot was much more interesting, we get some very in-depth looks at Fee and Foo's sibling relationship, and even the animation was full of energy. And yes, I'm with everyone else on the steampunk bit.

My main positives of the show still stand. It still has wonderful atmosphere, they know to keep the morality straight, the characters feel genuine, and I actually respect Foo more now than I did before because he had much more to do in these episodes.

9. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I was genuinely curious what the finger was attached to

10. Trombone77

Trombone77 Member

They said there was a butt somewhere else, so I was kind of expecting "Ira" to be a stone giant buried in the earth.

Also, I watching the first four segments, and I got to say it: this show restored some of my faith in Nickelodeon. It seems a little weird nowadays to have a series' main premise be a slice-of-life show focusing on heartwarming and endearing moments, but it really does work. Like some of you mentioned, Harvey is likeable and interesting. His precocious attitude definitely seals it with me. As for the twins, I really do enjoy their dynamic. They are wild and feral, but they still treasure their family. The side characters also seem pretty fun. (Also, on Dade, I feel like Greenblatt is going for a similar dynamic of Sanjay and Timmy.)

The toilet humor isn't too bad, especially considering that this is a Nicktoon. I guess for me, the only downsides I can see is how they handle the adults (I wasn't too fond of them making it seem as though Harvey's mother was an incompetent librarian) and trying to figure out what it is reallytrying to communicate.

11. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Does anyone know what the ratings for this show are? I kind of want it to be a hit, and seeing articles like this worries me.

12. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

They were posted on the ratings thread, but the preview got 2.6M, the first episode got 1.81M and the second episode got 1.2M

13. RDG

RDG Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive

@ILDC You have every right to worry.

14. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Dangit! Now, I'm worried - this show needs to last a good long time. It really does.

15. Gatordragon

Gatordragon You are a pebble against a mountain!

Finally saw the latest episodes and thought they were good, though I liked "The Rentl Bike" more than "Anti-Valentines Day".

The racoon guy slowly chasing Harvey and Foo reminded me of those horror games where you're stalked by someone or something. I sympathized with Harvey and Foo when they saw the guy coming after them. I was like "Oh crap. Run boyos, run!".

16. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

I personally loved Anti-Valentines Day
    really loved the concept

after all, sometimes people just need to vent

17. ChikoritaCheezit

ChikoritaCheezit The Random Shipper

What I liked about Ant-Valentine's Day was that it was the first Valentine's day episode I've seen in a long time that didn't focus on romance. The last Valentine's Day episode I can think of that did that was the Valentine's Day episode of Spongebob.

18. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Nice subversion of the overprotective parents.

19. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

So, what happened to the egg?

20. Bakertoons

Staff Member Moderator

Anyone noticed that Dede started blushing when he bumped into Harvey in "The Rebel"?