1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Harvey Beaks Series Talkback

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Bakertoons, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Finally, there's a Nicktoon I can get behind.
    Greenblatt's Chowder charm is a perfect fit for modern Nick and I'm overjoyed by how good this sneak peek is.

I can also see quite a few Clarence parallels.
    MUST HAVE MORE!

2. ChikoritaCheezit

ChikoritaCheezit The Random Shipper

All right, have 2 episodes watched, time to review.

This is actually pretty decent. I shouldn't be too surprised seeing as I like Greenblat's work, but this comes from Nickelodeon, the channel known for screwing over it's audience. This show is adorable. The characters are adorable and likable, the animation can be impressive (especially at a certain point in the most recent episode), and the show has it's funny moment. Nothing to laugh out loud funny, but more chuckle funny.

I really liked the new episodes about the tree. It's kind of relatable to me since I too am afraid of heights. It's got a nice bravery moral.

Now the 3 main characters have got an awesome friendship. The 2 twins (I think they're twins) Fee and Foo may be rebels, but they encourage Harvey a lot, I quite like that.

I really like the theme music. It's pretty feel good.

There's some toilet humor every now and then (I sometimes wonder if that's Nick's doing) but it doesn't feel too forced of over-saturated.

Let's just hope this show doesn't get screwed over.

3. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Yeah, whenever they have a good or decent show like T.U.F.F. Puppy, Korra and Robot & Monster they mistreat them. I think TMNT is safe from mistreatment, because the franchise makes a lot of money for Viacom.

4. RDG

RDG Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive

TMNT still gets screwed over, actually, in terms of scheduling and promotion.

5. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

That was interesting. I definitely got flashbacks to the early episodes of Chowder when watching the premiere. The 1 or 2 bathroom gags I could have done without, but the 2 shorts that I saw were cute and amusing for the most part. Harvey himself is sort of a modern day version of Hamton Pig from Tiny Toon Adventures; incredibly clean cut and hopelessly square, but still likable. The twins Fee & Foo were OK, but their characters could use some polishing, especially Foo, who was easily the weakest character out of the 3. There's very little to Foo's character other than he has a weird voice and he says and does random things. I rather Foo had been an actual character rather than a one dimensional weirdo, but then it's only the 1st episode. The character ca always evolve. Perhaps in time the shows' writers will evolve Foo the way that did with Fee.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's not as wacky as Chowder but it has it's cute charm. It's different from the other Nicktoons in that it's not as obnoxious or loud, which is a good thing. Still it doesn't really grab me, and I don't plan to seek out new episodes, but if it comes on at a decent time and paired with another fun show, I might watch it more.

7. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

I always though that between Sanjay & Craig and Breadwinners, there was a great show
    And here it is

It is still not on the same lever as the best stuff Disney and Cartoon Network has, but is may as well be the best thing that Nickelodeon has
    Kinda on the same level as The Amazing World of Gumball on a good day

8. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Me too.

This is a sweet show. The young characters are cute and innocent.

9. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

It was OK. Nothing groundbreaking or world-rocking, but OK. I liked it more than Nick's other recent animated comedies, though that's not saying much 'cause I'm not a fan of either of them (I'm not even going to say that Breadwinners or Sanjay and Craig are bad shows, they're just not for me).

When I first started seeing promos for this show and I scoped out the cast, my initial thought was "more anthropomorphic animals. Yay." But at least they're still recognizable forest animals in a fairly close-to-nature forest setting, they're not mostly human man-freaks like the characters on Arthur, so there's that. (I still prefer human leads overall, but oh well.) The characters were engaging enough, again, no earth shattering characters in the bunch, but fairly amusing creations. Harvey himself and Fee seemed likable and appealing, Foo not so much: he appears to be one of those 'LOL random' character types that I've never been crazy about, plus I'm not wild about his design, he's got that weird growth coming out of his head that makes him look like a Pikmin, but it's only the first episode, maybe we'll see more to Foo's character as the show progresses.

The other characters were a tad one-note, but still appealing enough: Princess seemed like Lumpy Space Princess fused with Eric Cartman and I kind of liked Technobear, but I'm a bit of a fan of techno music myself; I admit to getting a mild chuckle out of him hitting on Harvey's mom.

I'm kind of surprised that so far no one's touched upon the fact that Harvey's dad and Baymax have the same voice actor, Scott Adsit.

Overall, it wasn't bad by any stretch, but it lacked that special something that puts comedies like Gravity Falls and Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse over the top for me. Or maybe I'm just being overly cautious, as I've backed C.H. Greenblatt's work previously and was later burned by it: I was a big fan of Chowder when it debuted, and was one of those gullible suckers touting it as the next big thing in animated comedies only to have to take a HUGE drop in quality after a season or 2, so Greenblatt's gotta work hard to earn my trust again.

Again, my world wasn't rocked by Harvey Beaks, but depending on when it airs, I could see myself watching it as an alternative to nothing.

10. Gatordragon

Gatordragon You are a pebble against a mountain!

These episodes were actually pretty good. It was dumb, but still enjoyable. I'll be keeping my eye on this.

The first episode was basically this:

[​IMG]

And the second episode was the watery opposite.

The best things about this show are its beautiful painted backgrounds and wonderful music whenever something amazing happens. They really contrast with the simplistic, stylized designs of the characters and their crazy antics.

Also, it looks like Helga from The Oblongs is in this show as an owl. That bird's voice is humorous and cringe-inducing at the same time.

11. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

Really liked this premiere. Aesthetically, it feels like more Chowder, which is a plus for me. The whole show is really cute, and watching it was the most fun I had watching an original Nicktoon since The Mighty B!, and that was a WHILE ago.

12. Whimsical Crank

Whimsical Crank Sensible to a Slight Degree

I liked 'The Spitting Tree' episode, but I really liked the 'Pe-Choo' episode!! I agree this is probably the first enjoyable (for me) nicktoon in many years. To those complaining about the bathroom humor though, I also agree, but it always seemed like a customary thing for Nick cartoons to do dating back to the days of Rugrats (it's the one thing about them that never changed in my eyes).

13. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I thought it was okay. I liked the alternative medicine joke most of all.

Toilet Humor: 7
    Crystals: 10
    Harvey: 7
    Fee & Foo: 7
    Stick in the Mud Rabbit: 7.5

Final Score: The best Nicktoon in quite awhile. Yeah.

14. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Well... These first 2 eps. alone are far better than anything SJC or Breadwinners offered, that be for certain (Pretty Mid High Tier material, overall, but pretty close to being quite High Tier, IMHO!). Without saying too much, if they don't overdo the otherwise inevitable gross stuff like in "The Spitting Tree", this will definitely be a hit, especially with its true target audience. And I might even find myself enjoying something comedic on this channel for once, too - which is all I can ask for, at this point.

It'll take some time, however. Still, a lot to admire/respect here. Our main chain of protagonists have a pretty strong friendship out of the starting gate - the twins have a good brother/sister relationship - I'm sure they'll clash here or there, but they look like they come off caring enough that that won't be an issue; the animation and presentation kick butt, despite how simple it all is, which just plain works, otherwise; and they all seem to act like kids that I can relate to, almost, if not completely, on Clarence's level, which is what makes this all work for me, surprisingly well, too.

So yeah - here's oping this gets the love and respect it deserves, while maintaining strong enough quality. The real test begins going forward, after all.

15. Nikktoon

Nikktoon Member

Harvey Beaks is the best thing to hit Nick in a long time.....thank goodness.

16. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

now if Pig Goat Banana Mantis comes at least close to being this good, and Fairly OddParents gets canceled, we can finally stop acting like Nickelodeon is dead and burried

17. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Yes... We can. Provided, however, our newest additions, specifically this and Pig Goat Banana Cricket can maintain Mid-High to High Tier quality throughout their run(s). That will be the key to everything, IMHO...

18. Pelvix

Pelvix Weirdo

I really enjoyed this premiere as well. I thought the second segment was a lot funnier than the first. As for the pee scene, at least They didn't take the toilet humor to extremes like SJC. Let's just hope Nick doesn't drop the ball again. Looking forward to the next ep

19. RDG

RDG Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive

So, TeenNick will air Harvey Beaks tonight at 8p

20. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Lol at the pregnancy book and the high five gag. That is how you end a long joke.