1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Harvey Atkin Has Passed Away (1942-2017)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Mandouga, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

He is perhaps best known in animation for his role as "King Koopa" in DIC's Super Mario series*, but I'm posting this here since he also did live action movies and TV. Wikipedia says he died of cancer. Yeah, yeah, I know, but that's all I've got. I actually learned this from a YouTube video, so I can't post a link.

This leaves John Stocker (Toad) and Jeannie Elias (Princess "Toadstool", as she was called in North America at the time) as the last surviving original cast members of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show. Well, them, and Walker Boone (second voice of Mario; I think he's still alive, anyway), and Tracey Moore (second voice of Princess "Toadstool"), who both appeared in the later two shows (The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario World [where John Stocker voiced Oogtar]) .

*Along with John Stocker, he was the only voice actor from The Super Mario Super Show who also appeared in the other two shows as well.

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Here's a Variety link.

This is a bummer. As far as I'm concerned, his voice for King Koopa was THE definitive portrayal of the character. Granted, most of the voices for him in the video games have merely been angry grunts, but still.

3. Action!

Action! Active Member

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

A bummer to see this happen to Harvey, RIP.

5. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

Yeah. I found the news on Yahoo! Seems like SMB cartoon actors have been dropping like flies lately. They will all be greatly missed.