1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy 25th Anniversary to Eek! The Cat

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Eek!Swimmer1623, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Eek!Swimmer1623

Eek!Swimmer1623 New Member

25 years ago yesterday. The awesome show known as Eek! The Cat came out on Fox Kids becoming one of its hit shows back in the day. It lasted 75 episodes with 5 seasons (this was more than a typical Nicktoon got) and even had some toys released in stores and a VHS tape. When it debuted, it was on a Friday afternoon as a sneak preview before the next day where it settled in its Saturday Morning timeslot airing right after Tom and Jerry Kids and right before Tiny Toon Adventures. Later on, it got segments like The Terrible Thunderlizards and Klutter.

This show is definitely one of my favorite cartoons from the 90s. The animation is pretty fluid and bouncy, the humor is great, the slapstick is awesome, it has a lot of energy to it, the characters are lovable, and it knows that its a cartoon. However, the biggest reason I love this show is Eek! The Cat himself. He is the kind of character that can brighten up anyone's day. He's cheerful, happy, and always looks for the good in stuff. I also love it when the show did parodies and had celebrities on the show. The Eek! The Cat segments of the show started out promising and very good and only got better from there. The show also has a fantastic rock and roll theme song. Overall, it was definitely one of the best Fox Kids programs. Maybe not on the level of Merrie Melodies, Batman, or Animaniacs, but I can see this being either #4 or #5 in my opinion. It's neck and neck between this and The Tick.

After the show left Fox Kids in Fall 1997, it came back for a short time in the Summer of 1998 where it was paired with other comedys in a half hour package program. Then it moved to Fox Family before Disney acquired the Saban programs including Eek! The show hasn't really been seen since then and it doesn't have an official DVD release. Nevertheless, Eek! was a great show. Kumbaya.

Batman and Eek! aren't the only Fox Kids shows turning 25 this year. Dog City and X-Men will be turning 25 soon.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

This show needs a DVD release in the worst way. While Disney is at it, they should give us a proper Tick release too. You know, a complete season or series set that actually has every freaking episode. These things should not be too much to ask.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I never got into this show. Too hyperactive for my taste. But a few years ago I discovered this SNES game, and I really like it. It's so hard but fun.

4. Kirben

Kirben Member

Actually twelve DVD volumes were released in Czech Republic, covering 39 episodes, with English audio. But they are well out of print, and really hard to find now.

5. Frank Coufal

Frank Coufal Member

They could license both to Shout! Factory if they really wanted to.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Eek! was a fun show, and the segments that were added later on were fun too. I'm really hoping those shows make it onto Disney's streaming service in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

The DVDs are also quite pricy. This one lasts one hour and costs $3.15, but shipping to the US costs $35.16.

8. Kirben

Kirben Member

I ordered a few other series from that online shop in the past, and there used to be a much cheaper shipping option (economic package), but it was very slow (4 months to arrive).

9. Cartoon_central

I remember this, my favorite episodes include the one with the psychotic rabbit voiced by Phil Hartman, the one where the Squishy Bears are framed for robbing a bank by a rat gang, the one where Annabelle is kidnapped by a pair of singing witch cat sisters, and the Christmas episode.

10. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

More like two months.