1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gundam (the main article)

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by GWOtaku, Mar 22, 2009.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This is the discussion thread for TZ Animation Wiki's article for Gundam.

I would like to hear some ideas for making this something more than a straightforward list of the various Gundam shows. I have considered a basic overview of Gundam's most basic themes that are not really in dispute, and possibly some background on how the whole thing got started--to sell toys, no?

2. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I think 'made to sell toys' is a bit unfair. Whilst it's partly true (and apparently sucky toy sales are part of why the first show was cancelled), Tomino is famous for actively challenging that as much as he can. Which is part of the reason the fans tend to hold how much you were pushed around by execs as a criteria when judging Gundam directors. It's certainly become the case that sometimes tacky merchandising is a big part of why the franchise has continued, but I think we should make it clear (in a non-POV way) that the original creator has extremely mixed feelings on this. Tomino even said in interviews that he made Gundam because he felt at the time the giant robot genre needed something new and that he also felt the youth audience were ready for such a story.

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Right...my understanding was that Tomino had his fundamental ideas and then stuff like the Guntank got added for the toy reason. So I wasn't clear if this was Tomino making a story that then got influenced by merchandise, or if it was a case of execs wanting a show that could sell toys with Tomino using the opportunity to make First Gundam what it was.

Incidentally, if you or anyone knows of Tomino commentary online, I would very much like to see it. It can be a news blurb or something longer, anything would help. Especially anything that has to do with the really early history. I may even have some written material somewhere in my books and magazines. I remember reading this stuff, but it's been awhile.

4. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

There should be at least one I can find easily (I referenced it in my final dissertation). Problem is that as Gundam has died down in the states, it seems harder to find recent references. Gunota at least used to be great and keeping on top of interviews held with him.