1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Gundam SEED Continues in October

Discussion in 'Toonami (Archived Forum)' started by William C. Maune, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William C. Maune

William C. Maune TZ News Editor in Chief

When Rurouni Kenshin replaces Gundam SEED on Toonami, Gundam SEED will continue with new episodes on Cartoon Network. It will air at 1:00 AM Saturday mornings, where .hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet currently airs. Cyborg 009 will still be on at 1:30 AM.

------------

Commentary: There are a few possibilities here. Perhaps they heard the fan outcry and are thus continuing with a stealth run of new episodes until they are ready for the official Season Two premiere. On the other hand, Gundam SEED could be leaving to spend the rest of its days at 1:00 AM. If it was doing that badly though, I doubt they would wait until 26 episodes had aired before pushing it to the late slot. Regardless of what happens, Gundam SEED will still be on the air and you will be seeing new episodes (on as I like to call it, the "I wish it was Toonami hour").

2. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Active Member

3. Mysteryinfoman

Mysteryinfoman Sada Pop

I'm a 009 fan

now we can talk about it. Replacing .hack, oh well at least it's not replacing 009. I got no problem with it their but I did like it better on Toonami.

4. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Maybe there won't be anymore concentrated streams of energy but actual casings filled with a kind of explosive powder.

5. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Active Member

i really iwhsi knew what WS were thinking, what an obscure time...maybe they realised that the eidts tehy wer emaking were stupiud and the bulk of the ratings came from an older audinece who could handle staying up that late..plus there arent many soccer moms watching out at 1:00am.

6. William C. Maune

Williams St. produces Toonami, they don't schedule it. They may have some influence over the schedule, but they don't have the final say. They don't have the say over what airs elsewhere on Cartoon Network outside of Adult Swim either.

As for an older audience watching, I haven't seen any reports indicating any massive younger or older audience watching. Inu Yasha which airs fairly close to Gundam SEED has pulled some very impressive numbers among certain demographics, but there is no indication that SEED's ratings are anything better than just ok.

7. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

What the shell?

Bandai CAN'T be happy about this.

I don't suppose this means we get a less edited version does it?

Man CN sucks at making schedules.

At least it's still on though and Kenshin is still coming back.

But I just don't see the point of doing this. If they have to bury it on Friday then at least put it in a block.

Toonami the Midnight Run would be awesome!

12:00 - Gundam SEED (premieres)
    12:30 - Cyborg 009 (premieres)
    01:00 - .hack//DUSK
    01:30 - Samurai Jack
    02:00 - Dragonball Z
    02:30 - Yu Yu Hakusho (encore)
    03:00 - Dragonball GT (encore)
    03:30 - Rurouni Kenshin (encore)

8. Conan-san

Conan-san Active Member

I'd figgure you guys would be happy with an uncut run of Seed (by logic of .hack/Dusk's run) but no...

...sweet lord man, what the heck?

9. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

This could be good. .Hack and Cyborg 009 both aired uncut at 1:00 in the morning with their original openings and endings. It's possible that if the remaining episodes of Seed haven't been edited yet that we can get them uncut and with full opening and endings.

10. William C. Maune

I doubt there will be a full opening. The current Gundam SEED opening seems to be the American opening, similar to what airs as the opening for Cyborg 009 (which is an opening made by Sony for the American release).

11. ohmrbill

ohmrbill Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

It won't be uncut. I guarantee that.

However, there may be a chance that the full versions of the OP's and ED's will air.

12. Sheamon

Sheamon Lost in the Undertow

I'm sure the key reason why Seed isn't the big hit Bandai expected after its success in Japan is the idiotic decision to play it at 10:30 on Saturday nights. While its great that its coming back, by placing it at an even worse timeslot shows that CN is essentially throwing this show in the trash, and giving the middle finger to Bandai. Oh well. I won't be able to stay up late and watch it anymore since I work Saturday mornings, but my good ol' friend the VCR will help me with that. Whats the date of the timeslot switch?

13. William C. Maune

I don't think this is the fault of the 10:30 PM timeslot considering that Dragonball GT is getting massive ratings at 10 PM. Dragonball GT ratings are so good that it made the Top 30 telecasts for all of television among the 9-14 and 12-17 demographics. Gundam SEED has the best lead in of any show on Toonami and if a show can pull massive ratings at 10, 10:30 isn't all that much different of a timeslot.

As for when the late run will start, that isn't currenly clear, it will be either the 23rd or the 30th.

14. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Active Member

I never understood the once a week 10:30 pm approach either the only good thing expected to come out of it wa slighter editing but we didnt get that either, it was the worst piece of scheduling since Doctor who was placed against coronation street in 1987 which lead to the shows destruction. The ratings must really suck for it to be put on at 1:00am

15. Steiner

Steiner Dark Lord of the Sith

Well, that's good I guess. I'd rather have it in its normal timeslot, but at least it will continue without interruption. I've been recording .hack and Cyborg 009 anyway, so I don't have to do anything new.

16. Beat

Beat Retired

I'm speechless.

This is probably gonna be the last straw for Bandai.

17. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

I'd say the best we could hope for editing wise is what they have in Canada. It's not uncut but it's a lot less cut then the current US version. I'd prefer that a lot more actually. It's the important stuff without the unneccessary cursing that shows up in the uncut dub. I still wouldn't execpt "those scenes" or a Full OP for obvious reasons.

My main theory now is that Bandai really wants toy sales and if SEED wont get them any then they'd rather have SD Gundam season 2 on as soon as possible. So perhaps CN is putting Gundam SEED out of sight and out of mind of any parents in order for SD Gundam to come in full force and get the kiddies into flashy giant robots again.

Why must CN burry many of their best shows? It's idiotic.

18. William C. Maune

They could just not air it at all for now as was the previous plan.

On the air > Not on the air.

19. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

If its uncut (or very close to it--somehow I don't see the laser guns changing), I'm fine with it.

If its not, then this is just stupid and we're definitely not dealing with the same Cartoon Network that had the guts to air Gundam Wing uncut during the midnight run in 2000.

For now, I'm not going to cry foul. Nor should those who were crying doom insisting that SEED would never come back and new episodes wouldn't come on TV. You wanted new episodes no matter what? You got new episodes no matter what.

20. William C. Maune

Whether its cut or uncut likely depends on whether it is already edited or not. If it was already edited before it was going to air at 1 AM, they can't really go back and unedit it. Once their tape is changed, their tape is changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.