"Gundam Reconguista in G" Prerelease News & Discussion (Tomino's "G-Reco" Project)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Scirel, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
  2. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

Interesting. My favorite Gundam is Unicorn, and I'm already really looking forward to Origin, and I don't care about Age, so I'm fine with more UC Gundam. And Tomino's back for another Gundam series? Isn't that kind of a big deal?

3. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

I don't think this is absolutely confirmed to be a new Gundam story, actually.

4. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Since it takes place in the UC timeline, and has mecha in space, that's sorta splitting hairs. It's like calling Gaia Gear or Igloo not a gundam story.

5. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

Has there been other Tomino anime set in the Universal Century about mecha with V's on their foreheads?

6. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

I was assuming this was just fan speculation until I saw the "the new Yoshiyuki Tomino anime set over a 1000 years in the UC timeline's future." I'm trying to avoid jumping to any conclusions on this, considering how often Tomino seems to try to shy away from Gundam nowadays.

7. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Not saying the UC timeline couldn't be used for other stories that don't involve any Gundams but isn't the UC timeline basically Gundam?

Has it been used for any other franchise? Sometimes franchises cross-over or use the same universe but I don't recall anything other than Gundam taking place in the UC timeline.

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

A Gundam connection should NOT be made given what we know at this time, in my opinion. Not without more translation. Given what info there is so far, I'm unable to understand why Mecha Damashii made the claim that it did. That doesn't mean it won't prove true, I'm only saying it's informed speculation right now.

I'd also note that we don't know this is an anime series...just that it's a project Tomino is working on.

FWIW, this is what Patrick Macias said to me when I effectively made the first comment over at Crunchyroll:

Whatever this is, I'm obliged to say.....cool!

9. HellCat

HellCat Administrator Staff Member

I want Ring of Gundam. That promo pitch looked awesome.

10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Mecha Damashii stands by the Gundam connection, saying that the article does reference it beyond that scan of the cover image. They also linked to this Japanese blog as evidence.

Google translate is about as effective on this as you would expect (hardly at all), but here's what I think I can reasonably get out of what's there.....
    • The final title is still undecided. "G-Reko" or "G-Records" is a codename
    • Tomino seems to say that a brother & sister will be main characters
    • There's a lot of talk about the earthquake and apparently the role of women, the equality of women...the extent to which any of that is related to "G-Reko" is very unclear
    Hopefully some enterprising fan will translate the whole thing pretty soon. Seems interesting.

Edit: A comment from the Gundam Guy blog:

Edit 2: Deacon Blues had this to say at MechaTalk:

11. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Wondering what's up with G-Reko? Well...not much yet. But it may be on the horizon, according to this recounting of the Otakon 2012 Official Gundam panel at the Shelf Life Gunpla podcast. It covers the question & answer at 37:07 (the people are basically reenacting the panel).

Shin Sasaki's quote: "I'm not in a position to say anything about that. We may make an announcement about Mr. Tomino's project within a year."

12. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

I was wondering what was going on with this project. I wonder if Tomino is sidetracked consulting on Gundam: The Origin?

13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Anime News Network says October's Gundam Ace indicates that production of G-Reko will be starting. Hopefully this means we can expect it for sometime in 2013....

14. HellCat

HellCat Administrator Staff Member

I'm still confused. So is this a Gundam project that is downplaying the Gundam link (like how Turn A Space was to be what happened in the world of Turn A away from MS) or a Tomino mecha project he just wants to make clear isn't Gundam?

And now I'm thinking of that 'UC is the universe after Ideon' theory.

15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

The 1,000 year reference reminds me of a similar attempt by Tomino to break outside of conventions with Turn A Gundam. That's all I'm comfortable interpreting with confidence as far as how G-Reko is being framed.

Until we hear a very clear message to the contrary, I'm going to literally regard G-Reko as taking place in a "new century" as Deacon once referenced. In other words as its own story, with its own continuity and setting and rules, just as is the case with any non-UC Gundam story. Moreover, the Gundamesque design work aside, if there's anything clear about this it is that Tomino does not care to be shackled by the conventions of the Gundam franchise, so Gundam fans had better not go into this expecting or demanding any obligatory tropes.

16. Mr. Anime

Mr. Anime Active Member

Yeah, Is this meant to be a Gundam series or not? Because what else really could the G in G-Reko stand for? Also I'm wondering what kind of Tomino will be directing, Unhappy, (Zeta Gundam, Ideon,) Happy (Turn-A, King Gainer,) or Middle Ground (Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam ZZ, Victoy Gundam)?

17. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

The stereotypical "unhappy" Kill em' all Tomino has been gone for a long time. I will not expect it, nor would I particularly welcome it.

Based on what we know, G-Reko should not be considered Gundam. Tomino's talk about doing something new is consistent with past sentiment, and it only makes sense to take that at face value. We also know The Origin is coming, and the evidence really isn't there.

18. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Call To Rebellion

It would be interesting to see a Non-gundam series in the UC timeline, if this was the case. It was an interesting universe that could have plenty of tales set in it.

19. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

I give you Tomino's Reconguista in G which appears to be a tv series airing in Fall...

[video=youtube;kX_kQZLb64E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX_kQZLb64E[/video]

20. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Is the character designer from Eureka 7 working on Reconguista? The facial designs looks extremely similar.