1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Gundam F91 US Television Premiere (on-demand)

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Sketch, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

I check out the listings for Adult Swim on-demand this week and nearly fell out of my chair when I saw they put up the Gundam F91 movie. Great stuff! A pitty we'll probably never see it on regular CN. Its too dated.

The movie hasn't even been released on DVD yet I believe.

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

That's not really true...this is a block that has Lupin the 3rd on the air. Also I'm compelled to point out that Gundam F91 is a newer production than Char's Counterattack, which has aired on Adult Swim. The animation does look quite good, based on gundamofficial's screenshots at least.

3. Mysteryinfoman

Mysteryinfoman Sada Pop

It'll be cool if it would be able to see the light of being on CN, in other news I gotta or wanna get that AS on demand.

4. dawnyoshi

dawnyoshi Lurking and hating since 2002!

out of curiousity, what is AS on demand anyway? The most I grasped for it is that it's a pay channel for digital cable or satellite...that about it?

5. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

No it's not a pay channel. It's an on-demand service courtasey of Comcast Digital Cable. You get Digital Cable then you have on-demand and any of the channels you get normally cable wise are free in most cases. Adult Swim is free so to speak. No fees just for it. Same goes for the Anime Network.

GWOtaku, you're right Lupin and Char are older but Adult Swim doesn't want more old animation. Especially since people considered Case Closed old... Animatrix, Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heavens Door, Read or Die, the Inuyasha movies, and Metropolis are cutting edge modern features (well Inuyasha isn't really cutting edge but it is modern animation). Those are the movies Adult Swim is interested in. That doesn't mean we wont have any cultured films... Metropolis is a good example of that. But we wont likely get anything old.

Furthermore... Bandai seems to want Gundam on Toonami and I assure you this movie wont air on Toonami just from what's in the first scenes (among other scenes). It was rated TV-PG but I might rate it TV-14 or at least a very strong TV-PG.

Makes me wonder if AS on-demand will incredibly slowly air Zeta Gundam or at least ZZ Gundam.

6. Duke

Duke Truer Words Were Never Spoken

F-91's animation is a little better than Char's Counterattack, though the quality isn't. (That's what happens when you condense an OAV into a movie.)

7. RedTail

RedTail Active Member

If this keeps up, I might actually have to get digital cable! :eek:

8. Beat

Beat Retired

Grrr, everything's too dated for Adult Swim. This coming from the channel that only a few years back, showed Superfriends with a straight face.

9. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Nah your thinking of Last Blitz of Zeon. F91's even worse because that's a 52 episode tv series condensed into a two hour movie.

10. FlyByNite77

FlyByNite77 Active Member

Watched it and the whole thing is crammed together with big gaps in it, but like it's been said already that it was planned as a 50 odd episode series and then was turned into this movie.

Man, Seabook? What a stupid name...Even for Gundam. ;)

11. mikestorm

mikestorm I'm nodding on the inside.

Don't blow your allowance just yet. The digital quality of [AS] on demand is severely below all other on demand content, to the point where it significantly affects enjoyment of what you're watching.

I caught F91 last week on demand. Apparently from a chronological standpoint this is the latest in the MS Gundam timeline?

12. Sheamon

Sheamon Lost in the Undertow

Tomino has a habit of having bizarre names in his anime. Shot Weapon and Bishot Hate come to mind from Dunbine. Or Ideon, where, as I've heard others put it, Tomino rolled a dice and used the random japanese syllables to come up with names. Abadidi Gurimade, Rukuku Kil, Guldabra Dron, Tekuno Gyabari, Bento Malusu, the list goes on... @_@

13. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

No, G-Savior is. F91 is about 100 years before Victory Gundam.

14. Beat

Beat Retired

Everyone knows G-Savior doesn't count.

15. Neo-Era

Neo-Era The power of ∀ compels you!

More like 30 years before. And F91 is a reworking of the first 13 episodes of the originally planned TV series, not an entire 52 episodes.

16. Duke

Duke Truer Words Were Never Spoken

Like how SD Gundam doesn't count? :rolleyes: