"Gundam Build Fighters Try" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Sarada, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

The new iteration has been revealed. It would appear the old characters will not be involved, at least initially. This series takes place seven years after the last.

EDIT: Almost all of the core staff is the same. The new series director is Watada Shinya. This is his first go as series director. Up until now he has directed episodes of Love Live.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

English info is up here...yeah, this thing has three new kids. Hope Sei & company still show up!

Synopsis:

Characters:

Sekai Kamaki: "A second-year student who has transferred to Seiho Academy middle school, and a master of the Jigen Haoh school of martial arts. Sekai's encounter with Fumina Hoshino introduces him to Gunpla Battle, leading him to discover how enjoyable and deep it can be."

Yuuma Kousaka: "A second-year student at Seiho Academy middle school, and younger brother of China Kousaka. Yuuma is a gifted young Gunpla builder, with enough talent to win the Grand Prix in a modeling tournament's Artistic Gunpla Contest."

Fumina Hoshino: "A third-year student at Seiho Academy middle school. Fumina is president of the Gunpla Battle Club, and is busy trying to collect members for her club, so that they can compete in the middle and high-school division of the Championship."

Mecha:

Build Burning Gundam: "The Gunpla used by Sekai Kamiki. Its level of completion is very high, and it can be controlled with ease even by Gunpla Battle beginners such as Sekai. The Build Burning Gundam excels in melee combat, where Sekai can make use of his Jigen Haoh school martial arts techniques."

Lightning Gundam: "Yuuma Kousaka's Gunpla, which has been built based on the Re-GZ from "MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM: CHAR'S COUNTERATTACK." The Back Weapon System has been improved with Yuuma's own modifications. This Gunpla specializes in long-range shooting."

Winning Gundam: "An original SD Gundam Gunpla built by Fumina Hoshino for the All-Japan Gunpla Battle Championship. It makes full use of its characteristics as an SD Gundam, and is loaded with various gimmicks such as recombining transformation."

[​IMG]

3. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

The ties to the previous series seems to be there, so the story isn't being entirely discarded. This is essentially a Zeta Gundam situation, it seems.

So, Season Three and a movie anyone?! :p

4. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

Definitely feeling very much like a Zeta situation. Is this the first time they've done something like that since the beginning of the franchise? Even though Build Fighters is just silly comfort food for the most part, I'm all for that. It would be very interesting to see it progress to parallel UC.

5. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Well, I'd say Seed Destiny, but we all know how that turned out. :lol:

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

In all seriousness, they might have hit on a simple but good idea to keep season 2 fresh and a bit more interesting as a sports anime x Gundam show. With a few exceptions, Build Fighters 1 was mostly about one-on-one duels, albeit with the Sei / Reiji partnership in the mix. With this new setup they can emphasize teamwork, and there might be a greater degree of strategy also. And of course, with three person teams they can show off even more mobile suits!

Incidentally, I suspect Winning Gundam takes a lot of inspiration from Wing. The shield on its shoulder kind of resembles the one carried by the Tallgeese, and transforming mecha were not a stranger to that show.

As for life beyond S2, hey, if it sells and they can keep it at the level of the first series, I have nothing against it staying alive. I won't give up on Airan's Counterattack!

7. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

8. HellCat

HellCat Administrator Staff Member

Right now I'm....dissapointed.

I tore chunks out of BF pre-release but once it started it quickly won me over and proved to be alot of fun. It promoted Gunpla while having a sense of self parody, realism and not just focussing on Gundams.

THIS, however....oh dear.

A three person team, the main kid practices a secret martial art and they all use Gundams.....sounds like a more generic toyetic kids anime. We couldn't even at least have China's brother using a non-Gundam? I mean his sister did great with a converted Acguy.

Even said Gundams don't really speak to me. Build Burning seems to be a confusing homage to God Gundam without actually using it for a base. I really don't want another lead that spams Build Knuckle or similar.

9. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I would think and hope they won't lose the humor and self parody, if only because Kuroda's still supervising the story. They did the whole secret-school-of-awesome-thing with Mao in S1 already too. What does worry me about Sekai is that he'll end up recycling Reiji's character. There's his status as the newcomer learning about the game, the spiky red hair, the possibility he'll be the type that charges in swinging his fists. I hope there's something original to the guy.

I agree about the build knuckle. Let's level up to seika tenkyoken!

10. GingaDaiuchuu

Oh right, that. Well that may have been a disappointment of a second installment, but if Build Fighters gets to a third installment, I just hope it doesn't turn out like its UC counterpart ZZ. I'll take Seed Destiny over that any day.

11. HellCat

ZZ is awesome. Zeta was just a mess.

12. GingaDaiuchuu

Heresy.

13. HellCat

Zeta is Gundam as written for teenagers in their lowest 'no one understands me, the world sucks' phase. Tomino even admitted it.

14. GingaDaiuchuu

Okay, Zeta isn't great. But worse than ZZ?

15. HellCat

ZZ was fun and had characters I enjoyed. Same for Victory.

Zeta...I hated everyone pretty much. The women in particular were cold and shrill.

16. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

For me Zeta was a consistent meh-to-good with a protagonist that started out as an annoying over aggressive crap-for-brains that eventually mellowed out to just being dull; ZZ bounced from o.k. to bad to awful to good to awesome to awful then back to really good with a protagonist that was genuinely likable from start to end.

17. HellCat

I dunno about that. Winning seems to be based off the likes of Sentinel and EWAC designs, where the dome is sensors for long range scouting
    It's kinda of why I was on one level able to enjoy a A New Translation. Kamille works for me but in Zeta TV adults are bastards to him just because. The show itself seemed to address this when Wong tried to beat up Judau and it went completely in a different direction to when he was allowed to pound on Kamille.

There's some good stuff in Zeta, but I kind of see it as the Gundam equivalent to the current wave of teenage dystopia novels. It panders to a specific audience rather than do much noteworthy. I'm honestly amazed that this is the show fans have built such a cult over.

18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Here's the little "six years later" video that was bundled in on the second Build Fighters box in Japan, where China Kousaka's narrating a letter written in reply to Yuuma. The takeaway here is that Yuuma was once into Gunpla battle but quit for some reason, choosing to focus on just modeling. Sei & China have been in Paris for two months with Sei participating in Gunpla battles all over Europe as the world champ, while China's apparently taken up painting. Naturally the French love Gunpla battle too because of course, who doesn't? ;)

[video=youtube_share;5SF6c-Jw2pU]http://youtu.be/5SF6c-Jw2pU[/video]

19. HellCat

Amusingly there is some truth in that. France and Italy are the Gundam hot spots of Europe.

20. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    Zeta Gundam is actually overrated - where have I been? Then again, Victory Gundam is quite underrated, so...

And honestly, I only liked ZZ for having some of the best Zeon / Axis MS designs in the franchise, period.