"Gundam Build Fighters" News and Discussion (Update: Sequel Announced)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by HellCat, May 27, 2013.

1. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Domain "gundam-bf.net" Registered Under Sunrise - News - Anime News Network

I'm taking a wait and see attitude here. I remember just a few years ago official vague announcements made alot of fans suspect Gundam 0081 would be a new OVA, only to find it was a video game with original animation. This could be anything from a manga to a hobby magazine photo novel. Especially since we know work is being done on The Origin and it would seem odd to have the always younger viewer friendly AU branch competing with attempts to get the same audience into the story that started it all.

2. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Sound to me like a video game. Something like 'Gundam: Battlefield' or something.

3. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Gundam: Boyfriend. A high school girl falls in love with her Gunpla and one night makes a wish that it was real. The next day a handsome stranger in armor appears at her door and says he wants her to be his waifu. Hijinks ensue.

4. HellCat

I'm sad I'm the only one making the joke this will be Gundam Best Friends. Realising the pony thing is huge in the West right now, Sunrise are going to do a series about Axis Shock, a Unicorn Gundam who through adventures across the Earth Sphere learns the importance of friends and the light of the human heart.

5. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I prefer the boyfriend theory. Because beam saber jokes.

6. HellCat

Apparently they've grabbed the Twitter account too. Not sure about games but I know 00, AGE and Unicorn have all had official Twitter accounts.

7. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Its Ecole du Ciel clearly.

8. HellCat

9. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Interesting. "Long anticipated" would fit too. At this point I think I'd just prefer a third series, but a movie would be nice too. I have to wonder if SEED would be able to retain its popularity though.

10. HellCat

Unconfirmed rumours but the person who posted them is usually ahead of the game with official info. So not confirmed but worth some trust for now:

-Gundam Name is Awaken Gundam, will feature an advance talking AI giving the Gundam life.
    -1/144 Gundam of the new show will launch first.
    -The new Gundam is being designed by Kanetake Ebikawa
    -Series will kick off on September
    -Master Grade version will be expected on February 2014

11. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

So they're aping Chamber from Gargantia pretty much.

I still think my original idea would have went better.

12. HellCat

It's not exactly the first time Gundam has done the idea to be fair. Gundam Sentinel, a popular novel from the 1980s, is based around a pilot and his bond with the evolving AI of his prototype Gundam.

13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Gargantia uses it well but it definitely isn't a pioneer when it comes to intelligent AI. Sosuke had the Arbalest in Full Metal Panic, Yukikaze had it, Ghost in the Shell is undoubtedly the most prominent example. This was one of the more intriguing elements in the photo novel spinoff Gundam Sentinel, a work from the late 80s where the sentient AI Alice was a significant part of the story (edit: as HC beat me to the punch in mentioning, I see!). Something like that would be a first for Gundam animation and potentially really good, if they emulate that example. Chamber and the Arbalest are a bit limited by their programming and need to be interacting with their pilots to offer something interesting, while the Tachikomas and apparently ALICE ended up developing bonafide personality.

I wonder if it's another OVA. Work on Gundam UC could be wrapping up soon.

14. HellCat

Arguably they've toyed with it already, since the Unicorn Gundam actually has an AI that the pilot is simply a component to and of course more recent episodes have seen Banagher and the AI come to a true understanding/partnership. Heck, the original Gundam had the learning computer which of course ultimately allowed it to take a final stab at the Zeong.

15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Yeah, the operative word being "toyed" though, as we're talking about understated examples vs. an AI that could be considered a character in and of itself. I find myself liking the latter the more I think about it, it's potentially WAY more interesting. Something like that can offer a different sort of perspective from the flesh & blood diverse group of humans Gundam is full of.

16. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

The problem with an evolving AI plot is they're already doing it in on Valvrave.

17. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

So the idea here is it's a bad idea to use a concept if it was ever done before? I don't see it. I'm having memories of that "Simpsons did it!" episode of South Park right now.

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Let's not forget about Wing Zero. It was implied to have at least some sentience and Heero actually talked to it as if it did.

And here I thought Sunrise would just keep focusing on UC after the failure of Age. Not much I can really say now other than that I like the new Gundam.

19. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

20. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

A talking Gundam would be neat. Something I've wished we would see a little more with these Gundam shows is the romanticism of the suits, other than G Gundam. After all, even Star Trek has a sense of romance about their ships, callin' 'em 'she' or 'her', et cetera. Of course, to make that work you'll have to destroy the Gundam in the end.