1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Control: Political Debate thread (PLEASE READ RULES BEFORE POSTING!)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Those are political editorials, by definition not unbiased news pieces. They don't explain the drop she took in her approval or make the fact that she's getting attacked at town halls and dodging gun violence victims go away. The most visible support I see her getting is from the NRA. But to be fair, with a divisive issue like this people are going to be split about it and I'm sure a lot of people are on her side. Here is an article about some police chiefs who recently defended her:

http://nashua.patch.com/articles/cops-defend-kelly-ayotte-as-gun-vote-controversy-smolders

2. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

Depends of the area, others local cops, like in Mobile Alabama are opposed to it. Video from WKRG, CBS affiliate of Mobile.
    [video=youtube;2vK8kdNMuQI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vK8kdNMuQI[/video]

I wonder, what could happen if a gun registry might be hacked? lt looks like it happened in Australia from what I read on this article from the Sydney Daily-Telegraph dated from June 2012.
    Fears over gun registry being hacked | thetelegraph.com.au

3. Oldiesfreak1854

I saw a poll that showed that her job approval was actually pretty low. But then again, it was from PPP, which essentially the polling arm of the Democratic Party, so it shouldn't probably be taken too seriously.

4. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I mean no disrespect to anyone with vision problems or a disability, but what good do they expect from this?

Iowa grants gun permits to the blind

If you can't see who you're firing at, then you shouldn't be allowed to have the weapon in the first place.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that's just really weird to me. It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Based on the people in the article, it doesn't sound like they're completely blind, but rather legally blind, which can be a significant difference, but I'd be feeling uneasy about that detail in the law, especially if people really don't think that eyesight is necessarily necessary.

6. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

The only good to expect from this is the spiting of Obama and this whole attempt to actually get REAL gun control established in a nation that desperately needs it. That's it.

7. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

MOD NOTE: Moved some posts from the News and Politics thread to the Gun Control thread (and maybe it'll lead to some more discussion here)....

8. Shawn Hopkins

9. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

I was surprised when I read that the only reason the NRA opposes what the NSA is doing is because they could use their spying to create a gun registry.

Considering the wealth of information that's already public about such things (license registrations, anyone?), I think it's safe to say they already have such a list.

10. Shawn Hopkins

Thought I'd look this one up, too. In the U.S., you're more likely to be intentionally killed by someone with a gun than you are to choke to death, die in a fire, or be killed falling down stairs.

Daily chart: Danger of death! | The Economist

[​IMG]

11. stephane dumas

I saw these articles from Reason magazine and it got an interesting point about the case of the Washington Navy shootings.
    Better Mental Health Care, Not New Gun Laws, Will Prevent Future Mass Shootings - Reason.com
    Aaron Alexis, the Navy Yard, and the Case Against New Gun Laws - Reason.com

Edit: Things go worst in Chicago, the governor mulls national guard to assist Chicago police.

#151 stephane dumas, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
  12. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The irony, of course, is that the NRA already maintains a gun registry.

13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

When will the madness end. This last week we had a mall shooting in New Jersey, and one at LAX.

Ultimately, I think there's a severe mental health problem plaguing the U.S. The "last words" and "last notes" by some of these gunmen are not normal, at all.

14. wonderfly

15. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

Police: Woman injured by accidental gunshot

Most of the story is behind a pay wall but what's shown is pretty much it. Well, that the woman also had her child with her. Tell me again how having more people packing guns makes things safer?

16. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

17. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I don't know if this is the right thread to post these kind of videos, but it's about American politics and I thought it was quite interesting.

18. stephane dumas

Some theories of Ezra Klein had been debunked https://pjmedia.com/blog/ezra-kleins-facts-about-guns-tell-slanted-story/ http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/10/05/washington-post-fact-checker-moves-the-goalpost/205966 And I'm a bit cautious about some anti-guns activists, there is some rotten apples like former Senator Leland Yee, who was an anti-gun activist who was caught for weapons trafficking. It's like life imitating art, because...
    And the Montreal Polytechnique massacre in 1989 lead to a gun registry here in Canada who had became a huge farce. Claude Golgan, the brother of one of the victims had some imput about this. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...iated-with-gun-control-brother-says-1.2863047 you can also hear an audio exterpt in French where he was interviewed at a small radio station in Montreal.

On a off-topic sidenote, Jo Cox a MP from the Labour party in the UK had been killed and the Brexit campaign had been suspended and various theories had popped up here and there....

19. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

The first 3 paragraphs have nothing to do with the video.
    In the last paragraph, he tries to prove that Klein is wrong about ''more guns causing more murder'' by comparing states with less guns with states with a lot of guns, but that's not how statistics work.

When I want to find out if smoking is bad for you (just a random example), I will have to compare people who don't smoke with people who do. But no, if I follow the ''logic'' of this article, then I will have to compare people who smoke a lot with people who smoke only once in a while o_O

I'm okay with pro-gun activism, but as of late I'm bumping into way too many fallacies and way too many false statistics. And I hear lots of people say Europe has a ''knife problem'' just like the US has its gun problem, but that's just a lie. There is no knife problem here. I know many European countries have more crime than the US, but the US certainly has more murder.

Developed countries with stricter gun laws have less murder than the US. That's just a fact. US murder rate is 5. In all other delevoped countries it is less than 2.5. (Northern Ireland being a clear exception, but that country is a mess. I think there are still a lot of terrorists, and I don't know how strict their gun laws are) If pro-gun activists don't want to live in a safer country, fine then, I don't care, but they really shouldn't spread misleading information like that :sweat:
    This has nothing to do with the video.
    That's not a good reason to be sceptical about anti-gun activism. There are a lot more evil people at the other side of the debate. (Like all murderers. I'm just saying :sweat:)

#159 Red Arrow :D, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  20. wonderfly

MOD NOTE: I moved some posts from the Presidential Debate thread to this old thread, which was set aside for "Gun Control" debate.