1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by MDawg, Apr 17, 2017.

1. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

• Like Like x 2
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's good to know we'll be able to see Gunn continue the story of the Guardians and shepherd them again once more post-Infinity War :D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

We'll have to see how GOTG vol 2 turns out. If MARVEL sees it under performs, things could change. I'm just hoping this isn't a paradigm shift of comedy, comedy, funny, humor, blah blah yada yada. Unfortunately it feels that is where Disney would steer the films. I hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This is one reason I really like Gunn - he comes across as super passionate about these films (not to mention self-aware, seeing as how he brought up the third-film curse).

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Better to announce it now than be hassled for the next 3 years about it. Smart.

Hmm, at the earliest, there's that unassigned May 1, 2020 slot for Phase 4.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Well unless people for some reason just disappear off the face of the earth I can't see why this movie would under-preform, especially since it's test screening got like a 100% test ranking and from what I heard that's really rare. Stuff like Age of Ultron and even Amazing Spider Man 2 under performed mostly because of some negative word of mouth so if the movie has a lot of great buzz going for it which it does and delivers which seems like it will I see Volume 2 doing really well. Plus I'm sure at this point Gunn got a bit of free pass from Marvel to make a trilogy of movies for the GotG part of the MCU so I don't see that changing unless Volume 2 does like.... less then 150 million overall as that would be the lowest an MCU movie ever performed and again that seems really unlikely.

I am really hyped for part 2 so glad Gunn wants to make a Part 3. Especially since we've yet to see an MCU trilogy of films all helmed by the same person and all turn out well. Captain America is for the best trilogy but even that was started by someone else so if GotG succeeds in all three parts it will be a first for Marvel and a super rarity in general for any sort of franchise.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I'm happy to hear how passionate Gunn is about the characters and isn't working on the third movie just because people want him too. I do admit, I'd like to see the team portrayed a little closer to their 2008 counterparts from the comics, but what we've been getting is already really great.

If only one new character could join the team, I'd choose Adam Warlock if he's not in Avengers: Infinity War. If he is in the next Avengers movies and join the team, then I'd choose Phyla-Vell/Quasar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Curious what that will mean. When he says "iteration," I'm reminded of how in the comics we went from the Valentino Guardians to the modern version that the movie was based around.

Maybe the opposite might happen here :p?

Though I guess it could also mean that with the end of this team we'll have a completley new set of Guardians made up of all-new cosmic heroes, with the implication being some of them will pop up in this film :).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Could mean anything - some get killed off, some quit, more join, and/or the Guardians disband leading to solo adventures. Vol. 1 was mom. Vol. 2 dad. Guess Vol. 3 is the divorce. :p

• Like Like x 1
  11. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I was thinking the Guardians 3000 (the original Guardians of the Galaxy from 1969) or likely a new line-up of Guardians. The same thing will probably happen with the Avengers after Phase 3 like a new line-up or a totally different team (i.e. New Avengers, Champions).

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. the greenman

Let's not forget the 90's iteration existed in the 31st century. So, yes, it would be cool if they explore that alternative timeline.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm disappointed we won't get to see him confront Thanos in Infinity War, but I'm happy to know that we'll likely be seeing Adam in the MCU in the near future ;).

Really curious to see how Gunn depicts him...especially given his propensity for reinventing characters and how he'll be using Ayesha in Vol. 2 :ack:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. the greenman

For all we know, Nebula ends up stealing the gauntlet. I just am disappointed our boy Adam Warlock won't seize it yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I would expect that to be a given as a main cast member, but given this will be post-Infinity War and the final fight with her father, as well as the debut of her comic love interest Adam Warlock...I can see her having a major storyline :cool:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

19. the greenman

Hmmm. So this with the info on GotG 4 being a new team, totally fits. I am thinking Feige may be making room for new "old" characters. I'm thinking FF, but maybe even other cosmic guys like Quasar.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Like most have guessed, Gunn implied he's shooting for May 2020, saying he's going to work on Vol.3 for the next 3 years. EDIT: Yep, May 1, 2020 is one of the assigned slots.

• Like Like x 1
    #20 Yojimbo, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017