1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, May 3, 2017.

?

Rate this movie!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. ****

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I am Groot?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

"You only get one chance to save the galaxy twice"

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    Release Date: May 5, 2016 (May 4 advance screenings)
    Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel Studios
    Directors: James Gunn
    MPAA Rating: PG -13 (for sequences of sci-fi action and violence, language, and brief suggestive content)
    Screenwriters: James Gunn
    Starring: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan Pom Klementieff, Kurt Russell, and Elizabeth Debicki

Plot Summary: Set to the backdrop of 'Awesome Mixtape #2,' Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 continues the team's adventures as they traverse the outer reaches of the cosmos. The Guardians must fight to keep their newfound family together as they unravel the mysteries of Peter Quill's true parentage. Old foes become new allies and fan-favorite characters from the classic comics will come to our heroes' aid as the Marvel Cinematic Universe continues to expand.

Discuss Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 right here!

Related Discussion:
    -Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Pre-Release News and Discussion Thread
    -Doctor Strange Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Guardians of the Galaxy Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Thor: The Dark World Feature (Spoilers)
    -Marvel Cinematic Universe News & Discussion (Spoilers)

2. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

We have now begun the official summer movie season and to start things off we're going with what is honestly the Marvel property that benefitted the most from the MCU, Guardians of the Galaxy. And yeah I know there were major bumps with Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Hulk, Avengers and many others because of the movies and associated licensing in terms of overall property but... just the fact that Marvel was considering making a Guardians movie gave the property a lot of attention. And the fact it was so well received and popular and profitable kind of cemented the brand as just a thing that generally existed in all forms of pop culture. 10 years ago... who would of known about the Guardians? I mean at least Iron man Captain America and others were characters who had shows and fairly sizeable fanbases outside of just comic book geeks but that is not true for Guardians. And honestly that popularity is well deserved too as yeah like everyone else I agree the movie is awesome. And though maybe the new cartoon or books featuring these characters aren't that great I am glad to see them continue to be successful. Of course what I look forward to more is the continued brand succession with the films. Yeah next year will be extra hype as the Guardians and Avengers team up but this year seeing another adventure from them got me pretty buzzed. Especially because this looks like it could break the streak. Since we've seen Marvel movies start off on top of the world like Iron Man and Avengers with super well loved by everyone first films and the follow up catching some meh reviews. And yeah Captain America's third movie I guess broke that streak as both Civil War and Winter Solider were the Russo Brothers but that wasn't the first Cap movie. Guardians so far has been piloted by James Gunn and he's going to do the third as well so is Gunn able to capture the magic that made the first so good in a way so many of his peers haven't been able to?

WARNING RATHER LONG SPOILER FILLED REVIEW AHEAD WHICH MARKING WITH SPOILERS TAG JUST TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T SEE IT UNLESS YOU WANT THINGS ABOUT THE FILM SPOILED FOR YOU.

• Like Like x 1
  3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it. Hit the same beats as the first, but that can get old real fast. . . which it did. It seems this film may be a little more personal. Alot of heart in this one. I like the set up to old school Guardians in the sequel, and quite possibly Nebula showing her hand (no pun intended) as the one who might usurp daddy.

Btw, some of those After cred scenes have interesting stuff, even the credits themselves. Pay attention.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So this film isn't as good as the first (which isn't a slight, the first one is great) but I still had a very fun time.

Gunn really gets these characters. He gives most of them character beats and character arcs, and most importantly, gets us invested in them. I mean...when these characters call themselves family, you believe them. They have serious chemistry.

Almost all the characters are likable in some ways. Rocket is still fun as ever, Star-Lord gets some more depth beyond cocky and witty.

But it's Yondu who almost steals the film. Wow. He not only gets the best action scene in the film, but also the most emotional!

Which, major kudos to Gunn. Amidst all the screwball humor, he really does craft some genuinely tender and heartfelt scenes, some of the best in the MCU. The theme of family (no offense Fast and Furious) is done right here, only occasionally almost reaching cheesy levels.

The climax of the film is very well done, even though I'm sure it'll get flack from some people for being too explosive. But it was exciting, and emotional, and Pac-Man!

The final scene of the film was impressive. Unlike Thor 2, the funeral was handled with dignity, and Gunn didnt wreck the mood with a cheap joke. In fact, it was the most somber ending to an MCU film yet except maybe the first Captain America.

Sadly, the film falters in the humor department. The first film's humor felt effortless, but this one felt try-hard at times. The humor is more hit or miss; what works does, and what doesn't...welp. Mostly Drax scenes, which can either be too immature, or just mean-spirited (poor Mantis).

Speaking of, Mantis felt...underused? Hopefully she gets more to do later.

Ego is one of the better MCU villains. I mean...he's brutal, killing all his kids (and even Meredith!). Taserface was a joke - but his final scene was hilarious. Ayesha was interesting, but I'm more intrigued by her after-credits scene.

Overall, the first film is better because it's more consistent (it's good throughout, and funnier), BUT I think this film, at it's very best, is better. But at it's worst, it certainly worse. But man, it was fun.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DaffyDonaldQW93

What I don't get is that why does Groot has all of the merchandise and tie-ins if Groot shared EQUAL screen time by the other Guardians?

6. the greenman

Not to make light of your ignorance, but it's ALL about making $$$$$$$$$$. The only reason why they (Disney) allowed a Cars trilogy is the same. As the great Yogurt said, it's where the real money from the movie is made.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

It also helps that Groot is the cute character that can easily appeal to people of all ages and genders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I was a little surprised there wasn't a Spider-Man movie but it made sense 3/4 were space-based -- Last Jedi, Thor Ragnarok and Valerian. Everyone groaned at the other trailer, The Wall. Also dug they had the Defenders trailer before the movie previews started, looked even cooler on the big screen.

Yeah, they did a great job of making Ego a three dimensional villain and not the mustache twirler -- there was no outright malice in his voice about killing his past kids or putting the tumor in Meredith, it was justified in his mind. But blowing up a god definitely gave the Guardians some street cred. One nitpick I thought of as he explained his plan, he's pretty lucky on all those planets he seeded -- not one bulldozed the land and built something where he planted his essence.

The Sovereign. They were amusing down to their '2 bit video game' set up for their ships and dissing each other like people in an arcade room and also laughing at Taserface. lmao. That bit were the blue carpet got stuck in the snow cracked me up. And well, the one end credit teaser gave us what many have wanted since mistaking the cocoon in Vol. 1 for. I guess he and Ayesha will be the big bads for Vol 3.

Ravagers. Pretty cool to get a peek more into their culture. 100 er... 99 factions. Some of the other captains. His old crew being the OG Guardians. That's a lot more than I thought. I agree Yondu stole the movie. Dug he got included in Peter's flashbacks. Loved the funeral.

Another nitpick, I'd agree on was the Guardians were all paired off in the final battle and didn't save the day together like they did in the first one but it got written into a corner so to speak that only Groot could do it. Yeah, the Peter vs. Ego battle could have been a little longer, maybe not. Pac Man was still dope. I wonder if Gunn went through a list of ideas on what Peter would form. I thought though, it was a nice bonus that Gamora and Nebula seemed to have patch things up. And add Nebula to the list of people out to kill Thanos -- interesting reveal that she's trying to make a ton of money to buy herself an armada to fight him with.

All those celeb cameos were dope. Nice seeing Howard the Duck again. The old Guardians.

On the Stan Lee cameo, I bet some are going to nitpick it. Cause his FedEx cameo took place in 2016 but this sequel takes place back in 2014. Y'know, Stan Lee in a old school space suit talking to Watchers at the edge of the galaxy they can get past but...

I guess my favorite teaser was Kraglin and Drax. I laughed the longest on that one. heh.

• Like Like x 1
  9. the greenman

The thing surprising about that is the very real fact Marvel was allowed to use them, as they're owned by FOX as well as Ego. We know about Ego happening, but what of them? Hmmmmm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

They were probably part of the same deal they made to use Ego.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. the greenman

Why didn't they reveal that before? Besides, Ego by all rights should have belonged to MARVEL anyway as he premiered in a Thor comic. The Watchers, specifically premiered in Fantastic Four. Yeah, maybe they just wanted to leave some surprise for the fanboys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, yeah, it was a surprise cameo. Nothing else to it. I'm sure Gunn will talk about their cameo soon enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #12 Yojimbo, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  13. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Apparently, Fox only has the rights to Uatu the Watchers are their own thing like Inhumans or Black Panther.

Comic Rights are stupid I think Major Victory didn't show up because they revealed his backstory in a Fantastic Four comic. Which sucks because I think he's a pretty underrated Avenger.

• Like Like x 2
  14. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

• Like Like x 1
  15. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

By Major Victory, I take it you mean Vance Astro, who was an original Guardian, like Charlie 27, Martinex, Starhawk (both the male & female halves) and.......Yondu.

Those original Guardians, mind you, turn 50 next year, while the current incarnation of the Guardians team turns 10. I think Gunn realized enough peeps knew who Yondu was, so we get the rest of them in a sequel.

OMG: Stallone is the male Starhawk? I'd stick that mug on a CGI Watcher instead.

Quite the thrill ride. Still shipping Peter & Gamora, but now Drax & Mantis??

Speaking of Drax, the original concept was that he was a human who lost his family (daughter became Moondragon), and was transformed into a killing machine. Here, he's got some personality (Can someone cast Dave Bautista in a comedy?), although he might still be a bit slow on the uptake.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

I'll be honest, comic movies as a whole have kinda lost their luster on me a bit, but darnit if Guardians didn't find a way to squeeze into my heart.

Everything about it had a sense of joy surrounding it that is not a thing to have around these days, and I can gladly say not a single character was wasted, not even the villain who are typically the weakest link in any given Marvel movie.

I really really hope the upcoming Wonder Woman can be just as good, if not better than this, because I want to be excited for these kinds of movies again

Sidenote: Really wasn't expecting to see Howard the Duck again, but I welcome it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. the greenman

I have to admit Rocket is now my fave character. His scene in the forest and the dropping bodies from the trailer was perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Thinking of the Zune scene still cracks me up. Triangle-faced monkey is a close second.

Yeah, all those traps then fighting those two Ravagers was pretty awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Egon1982

Egon1982 Member

Fantastic sequel! nearly surpasses the original and Ego is nicely performed by Russell and i like how Stallone was used in this movie as it's like Tango and Cash went their own separate ways in space, LOL.

Emotional ending and who else loved Howard the Duck's cameo? hopefully they do a spin-off show.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I went to see it today and I really enjoyed myself though I do prefer the first one. There were parts that kind of dragged for me in parts here while the first one bounced at the same energy throughout. I sometimes hear people kind of dismiss Guardians as a comedy act but the emotional bits really hit me during the first movie, and the same thing happened here. I found myself getting a little misty eyed during certain scenes, and the emotions I feel during a movie are always part of what makes it a lasting movie experience for me, so I think it was a job well done on that front. They got me to love Yondu with this one. I was really puzzled as to why and how they'd make Ego Starlord's father but they did such a good job with that. As I think of it, the movie was like really rough, cosmic family therapy and I loved that.

I was kind of stunned when I saw that big old Uatu face on screen. I don't think anyone around me had a similar reaction though. I'd forgotten Sly was going to be in this, and I kind of expected he'd be some random space weirdo but he seemed very believably badass as a ravager. Seeing him interact with Yondu definitely gave me some Cliffhanger flashbacks. As a kid, I would have loved to have seen Sly and Kurt Russell in Marvel movies, but I never could have predicted the roles they'd get. After the movie, I had a little fun trying to explain Adam Warlock and the best I could really do was Space Vision.

We were discussing Drax/Mantis after the movie, and someone else thought potential couple while my first thought was surrogate daughter. Either way it goes, it's always nice to see a guy like Drax let someone in after becoming the cold murder machine that he became after losing his family.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #20 Rick Jones, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017