1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

A sequel is in the works. First reported July 26, 2014
    James Gunn spoke a bit about the sequel to Variety

#1 Yojimbo, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I imagine that Star-Lord's father will be one of those mysteries, and Adam Warlock will probably be addressed as well. Thanos might not factor into the movie as the Big Bad, but I expect we'll get another Stone debut with the Soul Stone at least.

As for new members... maybe we'll finally get Bug? He was apparently in the roster of the original draft. In terms of diversity in more ways than one, Moondragon and Phyla-Vell would be nice to see. Especially the latter, if only because I doubt we'd ever see the rest of her family in the MCU :sweat:.

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Correct. A few months ago, Gunn hinted Star-Lord's father, Nebula, Drax and Yondu would be part of the sequel. He has ideas about the clash of cultures like with the Kree and Xandarians and about the Ravagers.

On Star-Lord's father:
    *Feige pointed out "I think there's a reason we seeded it at the very end of the film like that. I think that would certainly be part of a next Guardians adventure. Certainly, that would be part of it."
    *Gunn admitted "about Peter Quill’s father and his relationship" and "I wrote up a lot. [Kevin Feige] knows all the stuff, and if I died tomorrow they could go make a movie. They could write the story of Peter Quill’s father and it would all be there."
    *Gunn confirmed "It’s definitely not the character who it is in the comics, I’ll say that much."

On Nebula
    *Feige pointed out she could return the sequel but another movie "I would say any character that doesn't overtly perish is certainly fair game to come back. If people know the comic lore, Nebula has a lot of varying different roles to play over the course of a lot of different titles in the comics. We have somebody like Karen, and you have a look that is so weird and so great. I think that's something we'd all like to see again."
    *Gunn stated "I think Nebula is really important too"

On Drax:
    *Gunn teased "and a lot of stuff about Drax that nobody knows."

On Yondu
    *Gunn teased "a lot of stuff about Yondu"
    *Gunn also stated "I think Yondu is a very important character, a really important character in this universe"

On cultures and groups
    *Gunn said "There are a lot of things that are part of the overall schematic that already exist, not to mention a lot of stuff about all of the cultures. There’s a lot of stuff about Xandarian and Kree culture that I’ve written down or I have in my head, as well as Krylorians and Ravagers."

On Thanos:
    *Gunn stated "He will show up if he helps our story and he will not show up at all if not. Thanos is not the most important thing in Guardians 2, that’s for damn sure. There’s the Guardians themselves and other threats the Guardians are going to be facing that are not Thanos."
    *Gunn also mused "I think Thanos has been lonely for a long time. He can handle it. He’s used to his loneliness. He’s got some other kids out there. He’s got to look after them. Nebula’s probably the sweetest of them, which tells you what his kids are like..."

As for Adam Warlock. Not too sure, I think so far he's only confirmed that's his cocoon in the museum.

Perhaps. Bug. lol on that last bit.

4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Won't be seeing Bug, he's not owned by MARVEL.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, yeah. Hasbro was trying to relaunch the franchise the past 5 or 6 years?

6. the greenman

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, going by Yondu's comment, Quill's father might still share being a big jerk with J'Son, Quill's dad in the comics, at least :p.

Not the most knowledgable on Drax, but I wonder if it might somehow incorporate his human origin from the comics or that he may have been experimented on like Rocket?

Fitting considering he was one of the original Guardians, as different and more morally unscrupulous as he is compared to his comic counterpart. I wonder if we might ever see any more of the original Guardians pop up in the MCU?

Wouldn't Gamora be the sweetest ;)?

I wonder if we might see some more Thanos' children pop up in the next movie, or at least the Black Order searching for the Infinity Stones maybe? They might not even have to encounter the Guardians, but perhaps as an after-credit scene showcasing Thanos as a still ever-present threat.

8. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Hopefully the hints about Drax might point to his daughter showing up.

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

You mean
    I'd dig that! The character is pretty cool, and yet has never really appeared outside the comics.

(Should that be spoiler-tagged? I wasn't sure.)

10. the greenman

It's funny, when the movie began seeing Peter Quill's mom made me think of her. I think there was another lady in the Collector's collection that favored her too. Be interesting.

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Nah.

That's what I was thinking, too.

lol, yeah. Can't forget that scene.

You never know. It's a big universe.

Agreed, Thanos needs to start racking up come wins to keep looking like a legit threat.

12. the greenman

The big bad can win without it even looking like one. At least he historically should. If we saw how Vandall Savage and The Light orchestrated things in the YJ, I'm hoping Thanos in this MCU is on par. The upcoming Civil War thing may be incidental, or not.

13. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

No subtitle yet, but the sequel is moving on up to a new date!

[​IMG]

14. the greenman

My guess is this will finally give us Adam Warlock.

15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope so. I want an Adam/Thanos interaction scene. Those are great in the comics.

16. the greenman

Well, between HIM ;) and Dr. Strange they're almost essential to the Infinity story. Only missing a surfer made of silver unfortunately. But I think the Guardians are his replacement.

17. the greenman

18. the greenman

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Gunn also stated Guardians 2 isn't subservient to the upcoming Avengers movies nor advancing them.

20. the greenman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.