1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Guardians of the Galaxy" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Aug 1, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this Movie!

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

33.3%
  3. ****

13.3%
  4. ***1/2

6.7%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

6.7%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

Honestly I thought the movie was a bit of a mixed bag. Overall pretty good, but for every one thing it did really well, there was another thing that it did poorly.

Chris Pratt was perfect as Star-Lord. What a great casting choice here. He was handled great. As soon as the movie has him dancing around at the start, you know it's going to be good, and he pulled off some genuinely emotional scenes with the mixtape and his mom.

Gamora on the other hand...I wasn't feeling it. We hear that she's a deadly assassin and she's Thanos's favorite daughter...but we don't see her kill anyone and we aren't given any reason as to why Thanos might consider her his favorite, he just does for some reason. Then we've got some poorly defined romantic angle going on between her and Quill that goes nowhere and just felt like an unnecessary add-on. Hey, it's the lead male and the lead female, one's got to try to hook up with the other, right?!

Same goes for Drax. The "he takes everything literally" shtick got a few chuckles - I liked the "why would I run my finger across my throat?" line - but also a lot of groans, and I thought his was the weakest performance out of the principal cast. He didn't come across as all that intimidating or all that angry when he was supposed to be. His confrontation with Ronan was lame and lacked the gravity that it should have had.

Rocket was fantastic. I don't need to go into any detail there. He was the biggest highlight of the movie, hilarious all the time, and yet you could feel for him when he's going on about not being asked to be created, how his lifespan is short, and so on. Groot...well, I'm glad they didn't run the "I am Groot" joke into the ground, and the scene where he's taking out the battery from the panel in the background was a total delight. However, "We are Groot" was one of the most cringeworthy moments I can remember in a long time, and sort of wrecked the character for me honestly. I was enjoying him so much up until that point.

The villains were flat-out bad. Ronan was literally just a repeat of Malekith from Thor: The Dark World. He wants revenge for his homeworld - already rolling my eyes at this point - he's angry, he claims an Infinity Sttone for himself, and goes on a rampage. Sound familiar? The climax of the movie where he gets taken out by the ship and then later distracted by Quill dancing was really, really lame. Nebula was intriguing, but we didn't really see enough of her to sink our teeth into. Thanos, on the other hand, was a straight-up disappointment. As being such a gigantic foe for later on down the line in the MCU, his first real appearance lacked gravity. He was just sort of there, and apparently he's dangerous because the film told us so.

There are some other interesting characters that pass by with relatively short scenes. The scene with the Collector was a delight, full of Easter eggs, but the Collector himself was barely there at all. Del Toro had nothing to work with and almost looked bored during the scene, explaining the Infinity Stones to us. Rooker was fun as Yondu and our little glimpse at the Nova Corps was a treat, but again, all we got was a little peek. I guess we'll get more down the line.

Overall it was fun but no masterpiece. I found it to be one step forward, one step back throughout, but still a promising start for a new franchise, and I am looking forward to the sequel down the line. Also, about the post-credits scene...

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Did they say who voiced

Yeah... but going into it, I had a feeling he would be just another pawn of Thanos in the grand scheme of things so I didn't expect much. I didn't understand why he was immersing himself in that liquid in the beginning - that a Kree thing from the comics? And based on his physical appearance in the start of the film, without all the war paint and armor, it definitely looks like Nick Fury's corpse from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is a Kree one like every person online thought. I still loved Ronan's response to Quill's dancing. Just breaks from his fanatical rant and regular voice "What are you doing?" That had to be one of the funniest villain moments in the MCU, imo. I was surprised that Ronan
    If you want to learn more about Nebula and Gamora, totally read the Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude, first issue I think it was.

I bet they worked from a big list. Wasn't Bug considered at one point, too?

3. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

I had to drag my sister to this movie and bribe her with the opportunity to try a fancy new burger joint for dinner. She didn't think she'd like a movie with a talking raccoon and thought it looked stupid. Even after seeing it and enjoying herself she refuses to admit liking it or thinking it was good. "It's not as bad as she thought" and "Any movie ending with Michael Jackson ain't all bad" are her highest compliments:shrug:. But she did pony up the money for Real D 3D which we normally don't do. Last movie we saw in 3D was Gravity. And even I didn't want to bother with IMAX. But this is the kind of movie that warrants the dough.

I thought the movie was a lot of fun and was glad to see that Gamora avoided the trap of being the love interest. But Peter Quill is clearly the smitten kitten. It'll be interesting to see in the sequel if he's still a man-whore;).

If the Guardians make it to Earth for Avengers 3 with Thanos- Starlord will be a bit like Captain America a man out of step with pop culture. I don't know if he'll like ipods, reality TV, and whoever's the top pop star by then. He'll likely ask "When did Motley Crue become Classic Rock?"

I was a little concerned that "I am Groot" was going to get on my nerves after 2 hours. It certainly did on Ultimate Spiderman:p and that was only 22 minutes. Vin Diesel is a better actor than he's given credit for.

I wouldn't have expected that Drax would be the one to connect with Rocket and Groot.

Am I the only one who got mad Corsair and The Starjammers vibes from Starlord's origin? The X-Men movies are never going to go intergalactic planetary but I'd love to see them in a sequel.

I wasn't at all surprised that Nebula got "Vadered" out of the final battle so she can return for the sequel. But with Ronan gone and her hating Thanos- does this mean she'll be able to strike out on her own? And what will she do?

My theater was giving away movie pins for club members. I got a Starlord. Did anybody else get one?

4. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Huhn. You don't say. Neat.

6. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

I agree on Gamora and Drax. My girlfriend and I were actually discussing how they could of made the same movie with only Rocket, Peter and Groot and it would been just as good or maybe even better. But at the same time if you think about it, Gamora, Nebula, and Ronan were all a tough sell. I mean, how would you even begin to explain what they are, who they are and why we should care about any of them in two hours? Thats the advantage the Avengers had over Guardians , they had four movies to establish things. So yeah it makes sense that you didn't feel the villains or Gamora but I wouldn't call it two steps back. The fact that a great movie was made in spite of that should be applauded. As for Drax, Bastisa tried his best so I'll give him that.

7. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

This was probably the silliest Marvel movie to date, but it's still entertaining. I didn't have a strong affinity for the GotG characters before the movie, and afterward I still don't feel particularly strongly about them, but it was worthwhile to watch and I enjoyed it.

One odd thing I thought was kind of funny was that of all the characters in this movie, perhaps the most recognizable character to the general audience in this movie was Thanos, the guy many people jokingly called "the guy at the end of Avengers."

Throughout the most part, superhero films are centered around characters so many people know and likely loved, but definitely recognized. GotG was peculiarly in that it wasn't trying to be carried by the name of the heroes, but the Marvel Studios tag. I find it kind of bizarre because so many people I encountered knew who guys like Superman and Spider-man were, but would ask "Is he a Marvel or DC character?" Back then, the particular publisher was only important to the comic-collecting fans, particularly ones who had allegiance to either of the Big Two companies. Marvel did a good job of making people care about anything that has the name "Marvel Studios" on it, though I think I'm drawing the line at Ant-man.

It was also pretty sneaky of the creators to put in a bunch of great 70's hits into the soundtrack and saying that each song was specifically picked to match the mood of each scene. I kind of call bologna on that, other than the fact that the songs helped make the movie more fun-filled to watch.

If there's one concern I have about Marvel movies moving forward, it's that I don't want too many of these to become MacGuffin quests. We have three more Infinity Stones, and a Gauntlet; does this mean fetching those things will make the plots of 3-4 more movies?

8. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the movie but not as much as most it seems. I found the Marvel formula is really starting to get stale but thankfully this movie injected enough into it to keep it moving along nicely. The majority of the cast was great, though I found the villains, Drax, and Gamora pretty dull. Starlord, Rocket and Groot pretty much carried the movie. It was a fun movie but was not my favorite of the summer - that goes to X-Men: Days of Future Past. But I will definitely see this movie at least once more in the theatre. The crowd I saw it with loved every second of it and at times laughed so loud at the jokes it was impossible to hear the movie. I'm looking forward to catching what I missed when I catch it again. Most of the characters were likeable, the special effects were great and there were some truly great movies. The story wasn't that great and the bad guys were pretty lifeless but the movie had way more pros than cons. Another win for Marvel.

9. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I didn't pay too much attention, but I'm seeing several people note that
    And of course in the comics, Adam Warlock is reborn from a cocoon and has an Infinity Gem in his body. Perhaps the stinger was more relevant to the MCU than we thought.....

10. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

At the very least, I think this is the closest fans will ever get to a FarScape movie. Thought this was a fun sugar rush of a flick, but I still think that the summer flick to beat is DOFP (Bryan Singer, it's good to have you back), but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Obviously, they moved that sub plot along with introducing the Aether/Reality Stone in Thor: The Dark World and The Orb/Power Stone (and overall backstory of stones) in Guardians of the Galaxy in a span of 2 movies. Looking forward to Age of Ultron and Ant-Man, we may get a longer break from this subplot unless Loki's scepter really turns out to be the Mind Stone or whatever. Then the Tesseract/Space Stone and Infinity Gauntlet are on Asgard in the vault. It seems like when Thanos appears again, he'll be after another stone - Time or Soul Stone probably.

Interesting, but I take it a lot of those collections being released could have later ramifications in the MCU.

Been working on an easter eggs list from memory and articles online
    Gunn also addressed the whole survival in space thing.

12. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Actually, the purple one is the Space Gem. the red gem is the Power Gem. Unless it's been changed, it's:

Red=Power
    Purple=Space
    Mind=Blue
    Orange=Time
    Yellow=Reality
    Green=Soul

13. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

It has definitely changed, as the Tesseract is supposedly the Space Gem in the MCU.

14. RoryWilliams

Is it possible Loki's scepter is a gem or at least contains energy from one? Being able to instantly brainwash people sounds like the Mind Gem.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes, it's changed. The colors in the MCU don't correlate to the comic versions.

Kevin Feige confirmed the Tesseract is the Space Stone.
    Kevin Feige Lays Down Details on Marvel's Cinematic Infinity Gems - ComingSoon.net

Circa November 19, 2013
    James Gunn confirmed the stone in The Orb is the Power Stone
    https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/496012832106749952

The Aether's identity was never confirmed but the prevailing belief among fans is it is the Reality Stone.

The Mind Gem being in Loki's scepter is the prevailing theory. The fact that the scepter was used to close the portal to Chitauri Space could be more than a coincidence. But would Thanos really give one away like that to an untested pawn like Loki?

16. RoryWilliams

The fact that they made the Tesseract and Aether into stones was probably a big hint they weren't following the traditional pattern to begin with. In the comics neither of those items had anything to do with the Infinity Gems.

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

#37 Yojimbo, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  18. RoryWilliams

I hope the Bill cameo leads to something down the line.

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

In terms of easter eggs, forgot the part when they are scanned by the Nova Corps and their rap sheets show up. Neat to see the differences in the trailer versus the actual scene in the movie.

Peter Quill
    -A crime listed as "Illegal manipulation of Gramosian Duchess" - Gramosians are a race in the comics that first appeared on Thor.
    -"Enhancements: Translator Implant in Neck" - Thought it was neat.

Gamora
    -I don't think it was specifically mentioned in dialogue but under 'Species', Gamora is confirmed to be Zen-Whoberi like in the comics.
    -Her age is given as "24 Zen-Whoberi Years"

Drax
    -Drax's species is unknown. In the comics, Drax was originally a human from Earth named Arthur Douglas. He was killed by Thanos and as a precaution Thanos' father and grandfather took Douglas' living consciousness and put it in a humanoid body they created from Earth soil and augmented with super strength.

Rocket
    -Aside from Groot, one other was listed in "Associates" - Lylla. In the comics, she was Rocket's love interest.

20. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

If purple is power and blue is space, what does that make the Aether, which is red?