"Guardians of the Galaxy" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by James Harvey, Aug 1, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this Movie!

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

33.3%
  3. ****

13.3%
  4. ***1/2

6.7%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

6.7%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

[​IMG]

Guardians of the Galaxy
    Release Date: August 1st, 2014
    Studio: Marvel Studios, Walt Disney Pictures
    Director: James Gunn
    Screenwriter: James Gunn
    Starring: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, Benicio del Toro

Plot Summary: From Marvel, the studio that brought you the global blockbuster franchises of "Iron Man," "Thor," "Captain America" and "The Avengers," comes a new team - â€the Guardians of the Galaxy. An action-packed, epic space adventure, Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" expands the Marvel Cinematic Universe into the cosmos, where brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the entire universe. To evade the ever-persistent Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a quartet of disparate misfits - Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon, Groot, a tree-like humanoid, the deadly and enigmatic Gamora and the revenge-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when Quill discovers the true power of the orb and the menace it poses to the cosmos, he must do his best to rally his ragtag rivals for a last, desperate stand ... with the galaxy's fate in the balance.

Related Discussions:
    Marvel's The Avengers Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

2. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

3. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

My review which I'm putting in spoilers even if it isn't my most indepth or anything.

4. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

For those of you skeptical about the film, leave your worries elsewhere, the film is utterly awesome from start to finish. It never ones delves off into a boring sci fi drama or dull space ship battles, the characters keep everything moving at a lively pace and it's probably one of the most funny, quotable action movies since the original Die Hard.

As someone who had no idea who the GOTG were when the film was announced to being only mildly interested when the trailer was released, I have to say its right up there with The Winter Soldier and Days of Future Past as one the great, great movies of the summer (this isn't an Amazing Spider-Man 2 mess.)

Bravo Marvel, you've done it again.

5. reflection

reflection Active Member

$11.2M Thursday. Biggest Thursday haul of the summer. Weekend estimates are being revised up from $60-70M to $75-90M or more.

6. The Talon

The Talon New Member

Saw the movie yesterday evening, and it's been on my mind all day. For about two years now we've all gone on about how damn out there the whole concept of this was, a space opera based on a comic-book team that even most hardcore nerds have never even heard of, featuring a living tree and a gun-toting raccoon; just how "risky" it was for Marvel to make this. Within 10 minutes of the movie with Quill, Gamora, Rocket and Groot all fighting each other on Xandar I thought to myself "Yep, James Gunn made this work". By the end of it, I realized that James Gunn made this movie perfect (as perfect as a movie like this can get at least). Being bizarrely different from the rest of MCU actually worked in this movie's favor; it made it feel like an actual open-and-shut movie rather than something to set up a sequel or team-up movie.

Masterful CGI, fantastic world-building, great characterization and acting, and some of the most quotable lines in a move this year makes Guardians of the Galaxy the biggest out-of-left-field hit since.....Iron Man.

7. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 11/1/14

Did anyone hear about some midnight screenings of GOTG ending up showing the film Rise of the Guardians instead? Must be some majority disappointed folks out there!

8. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ New Member

It's actually happening. Marvel is getting the general public to go see a movie that stars a talking raccoon and his pet tree. The summer is officially saved.

9. honorableninja

honorableninja Member

so we possibly have four of the six stones counted for

1. the tessract currently back in asgard

2. loki staff possibly mind gem in poessesion by baron von strucker and hydra but not confrimed.

3. orb purple stone locked in nova headquaters.

4. atether was in collector poessession but after his slave girl went beserk who knows where it is now.

only two stones remain.

10. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Well, the film was great.

Gunn somehow did in one film what it took Avengers five films to do: Create a team, develop all the heroes, good pacing, and the best part: all the heroes are very likable! Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, Groot, and of course, Rocket, are all very likable characters! I can't wait to see them again!

Its also very well-rounded. The funny scenes are the funniest since Avengers, the action scenes are some of the best in the MCU, especially the aerial dogfights, and the emotional scenes are surprisingly heartfelt.

Villain wise, it doesn't fare quite as good....but Ronan is pretty cool. Maybe a tad undeveloped but his "cool" factor helped. I loved his dialogue, and he is very powerful.

Oh, and as a Thanos fan....wow. They did him PERFECTLY, better than I imagined. He looks just like in the comics, and his voice, his dialogue...all spot on!

The effects and costume work are the best in the MCU, easy! The space scenes are so well done and believable. If Gunn really does direct Avengers 3....I actually wouldn't mind, if Avengers 3 has cosmic scenes.

Also, I'm not worried about Thanos in Avengers 3 anymore. Seriously, some of the characters here are very powerful (planet-buster), and this gem is VERY dangerous! No wonder the Avengers and Guardians will need to team up!

The music selection is very catchy, and they actually have a purpose in the plot. The climax is very exciting, lots going on, and plenty of sequel set-up.

So, yes. Marvel has done it again! Two awesome films in one year! Its a good time to be a Marvel fan.

One last thing: After seeing this film, there is NO reason why FOX can't give the X-Men colorful costumes!

12. reflection

reflection Active Member

So so good. It's right up there with Avengers, Iron Man, and The Winter Soldier as the best Marvel movies and with those three and the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy as my favorite superhero films. Just amazing work. So many quotable lines. Such a deep cast and everybody was used effectively. I actually liked the villains a lot, more than the villains in any movie except Loki's three.

To add to my post above, the latest projections have the movie getting close to reaching $100M this weekend.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

So there is a chance it could even pass Winter Soldier's opening weekend? Wow, that's really impressive, and well-deserved.

This film proved that Marvel can make a good film for ANY comic character. I honestly believe Ant-Man won't bomb now.

14. reflection

reflection Active Member

Apparently.

15. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Went and saw it today. Very good, and very funny in spots. The vibe I get falls into a mix of A-Team, Suicide Squad, or even the Galaxy Goof-Ups (!). Loved the 70's soundtrack. I actually thought Gamora would fall for Peter, but no. Hey, there is a sequel, so.....!

As a WWE fan, I am reminded of when Batista left in June to go on his promo junket for the movie, and Triple H, in storyline, said he hoped the movie bombed. Looks like some crow is in order for him, don'tcha think? This will bump Lucy from the top spot, easily.

16. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Wow. Was this what it was like when Star Wars first came out? Becuase this movie just felt amazing. Episode VII has to live up to this next year.

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Saw it today. I agree it's Marvel Studio's best yet hands down. 2 really great and 2 really different Marvel movies this year. So good. Awesome lines, comedy, action, the soundtrack, cameos - Gunn and everyone involved really pulled it off.

"...What are you doing?" WIN.

So worth it to sit through the credits. lmao. Lot of people still left before the end teaser. Still, I was a bit surprised no teaser or trailer for Age of Ultron at all but that was accomplished at the end of Winter Soldier. But still

18. Neo Yi

Neo Yi :D

Saw it on release day and I agree with the rest of ya: Guardians of the Galaxy was epic fun.

I really loved the focus on all five cast. The overall message of a bunch of losers sticking together due to their outcast nature and loneliness worked beautifully. The film really goes out of their way to emphasize why they're rejects by society at large or forced to make decisions that causes them to end up in the state they are. I think it's only natural their bond ultimately saves the galaxy. It could have been super cheesy, but the power of friendship is extremely appropriate in this case. It also neatly ties back to Quill's guilt for never holding his mother's hand during her final hours.

In fact, the movie did a bang up job displaying his issues through his actions. The implication I'm getting is that Quill never bothered to return to Earth because there's no reason for him to - he's likely ashamed to. His mother's death and his regret for dishonoring her last wish severely weighs on him, so much that he refuses to open the gift she gave him twenty years ago. His treasures the walkman his mom gave him, going out of his way to retrieve it, and seems really distressed when Gamora needed rescuing. That scene where she's dying in space had Rocket telling Quill to let her go since nothing can be done, yet he nearly sacrifices himself for her when previous moments established he's somewhat of a selfish jerk. If the main characters of this film ever reunites with the other MCU cast on Earth, I totally want a scene where Quill and Captain America bond over the decades of change. 2014 is a farcry from 1988!

I liked that Drak had at least one confrontation with Ronan to realize he's hopeless outmatched and needed to work together. I think his acceptance of Gamora was a bit quick without much interaction between the two, but otherwise I'm good. My only issue with Gamora is that I wished she and Nebula had more sibling rivalry and interaction with each other, but I notice the film didn't kill Nebula off. If there's any tension that can be milked off for the sequel, then this is definitely a subplot I feel is worth revisiting. But oh God, Rocket and Groot. The talking raccoon was what originally sold me and I went in hoping he'd be the best character. And he was. I love Rocket. This guy is a fantastic, hilarious jerk. I actually like how bombastic they made him out to be and how thorough he plans his stuff out. I think a lot of that is to overcompensate for his small stature and general disdain by others. People see him as some harmless, freak rodent? He'll pump several rounds of lead in you. But for all his hardcore personality, he is really upset when Groot sacrifices himself for the team. I'm glad the movie didn't attempt to hide that (which is probably why Groot spent most of the movie being the closest to a "traditional good" protagonist) and it's the definite emotional core of the film.

Normally I would chide the flat villains (which I do think Ronan fits into), but given it's a brand new movie that focuses on five brand new characters and their issues, I'm perfectly fine letting the villains step down in order to focus on the protagonists. In this case, the film needed that. But kudos anyway on exploring Nebula's family issues with Gamora. The "I hated you least" line must have meant a lot coming from her.

It's probably my second favorite MCU movie of Phase 2. I loved the endless parade of humor and I loved the epic stuff. Oh, and that surprise cameo at the end was ridiculously funny.

Also, that Jackson Pollock line is one of the funniest jokes I have ever heard.

19. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Was thinkg about the same thing, and I`d love a nodding line to how everything from back then is mega-famous in modern earth pop culture. Though with the amount of Freedom quill has had, I`d imagine he was able to keep up with earth culture if he had wanted to, such as seeing movies, depending on how detached he was.

20. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member