Green Lantern: The Animated Series "Reckoning" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Apr 14, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment - Green Lantern: The Animated Series "Reckoning"

1. *****

42.9%
  2. ****1/2

39.3%
  3. ****

10.7%
  4. ***1/2

3.6%
  5. ***

3.6%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Check out this can't-miss all-new episode of Green Lantern: The Animated Series today at 10:00am (ET/PT) on Cartoon Network!

Green Lantern: The Animated Series
    April 14th, 2012 at 10:00am (ET/PT) - "#7 Reckoning"

Razer seemingly betrays the Green Lanterns and returns to Atrocitus on the Red Lantern homeworld, Shard. He attempts to kill the Red Lantern leader but is found out. Hal, Kilowog, and Aya go behind enemy lines to rescue Razer and discover the secret of the Red Lantern armada.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Feel free to comment as the episode airs, too, providing your own commentary. However, do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And please remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Amazing Episode :anime:
    Nice to see Bleez,Skallox,and other Red Lanterns
    The fight scenes are awesome :anime:

3. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Not my favorite episode of the series, but I liked the weight of the Red Lanterns. Even though they won - and, hell, even though they beat Atrocitus - it still felt like a loss they barely survived. Well done.

Aya with some missing limbs was rough. Poor thing... even if she probably can't feel pain...

Not sure how I feel about Atrocitus killing Razer's wife, though. I mean, it kind of cheapens their role as bad guys with the greater good in mind. I still see it working, but Atrocitus didn't even TRY to justify himself to Razer. No "Hate is the most powerful force!" or "Your potential was wasted without the Red Lanterns!" or anything. Maybe he was just rubbing salt in the wound, though. I dunno.

Oh, and that priest guy had an AWESOME design. Possibly the best in the series so far.

4. magicdog

magicdog New Member

Looks like the one who speculated that Atrocitus caused the events that led to recruiting Razor called it!

Nice to know Razor has chosen not to affiliate himself with the RLs but it was a crazy decision to go and try to kill Atrocitus. He couldn't have thought it'd be so simple as a knife to the back.

Assuming he mellows his anger and the ring is no longer useful to him, what would his fate be?

Nice teamwork with Hal using Kilowog as his "prisoner" and getting some background on the origin of the RLs.

I was a bit worried about Aya... she didn't look so good when Razor found her. She seemed her old self by episode's end.

Speaking of which - hundreds and hundreds of warships! A big battle is a brewing!

5. Dragnatek

Dragnatek New Member

My favorite Red Lantern has yet to show up but I guess it's too early for an Earth Red lantern when Atrocitus's current plan seem to be to gather a large army without the guardians knowing. Still I hope we see Dex-Star later. I love that guy.

6. quigonkenny

quigonkenny New Member

That whole scene played like one genre reference after another. First the Dune reference with the mantra he's chanting as Hal first encounters him, then we actually see him, with his Sauron eye staff and his Alien-meets-Judge Dredd facial design.

Also, nice Iron Man reference with the HUD inside of Hal's stolen guard helmet.

More like an invasion...

7. McRowdy

McRowdy New Member

I felt this episode was excellent. The storyline was straightforward, Razer wants revenge against Atrocitus. But there were all these little touches in the episode that made it more than average for me. My favorite was probably the church where the priest was chanting and the mural of stained glass dictating what happened with the Guardians. It shows that there is a culture with the Red Lanterns besides being powerful people with a base and that they've developed from something. Ironically this was something I really loved about Avatar and Korra came on today.

Plus seeing the other red lanterns was great and the action was impressive especially when Skallox put the beatdown on Killowog and Atrocitus handing Hal, Killowog and Razer their butts.

8. Afalstein

Afalstein New Member

Nice episode, but it relied on a few cliches I was hoping they'd avoid, like the faceless Mooks patrolling the halls. The soldiers there should be Red Lanterns, their weapons should be power rings. Oa doesn't have a second class of soldier just to get knocked out and dragged into a closet for the old "switheroo" routine.

Also disappointed in the revelation that Atrocitus was behind Razer's tragedy. Seriously? It's not like Atrocitus has to CREATE rage, there's no shortage of it in the universe. And all his stuff about "seeing potential" in Razer cause came off empty--the guy left Razer to be blown up on that world. Not exactly something you do for someone you hope will "carry on your legacy." Also, Atrocitus should NOT have been blown back by Razer's rage, when it comes to anger, Atrocitus rules.

On a more positive note, I also enjoyed seeing Bleez (she can talk!) and the priest was very impressive. Somewhat sympathetic too, which is unusual in your dark clerics of false gods. Wonder what Hal will do with that bit of info. And the lead-up to Razer's attempt at assassination was nice, as was the wink Kilowog gave him. Also more interaction between Aya and Razer... series is totally building a relationship there. Should be interesting to see more of.

9. Robert McSantos

Robert McSantos New Member

The recap of Atrocitus' origin was surprisingly accurate, with only a few slight embellishments. The Guardians never demanded that anyone worship them, nor did they intend for the Manhunters to kill everybody (at least, not all of them did). They had sent the Manhunters to contain Atrocitus' people because they were using their magic to oppress the rest of their space sector (notice he left that part out), but they lost control and the Manhunters started going berserk.

As much as we'd all like as many cameos as possible, using a unique character for every single soldier on Shard would have brought this episode way over budget. On a CGI cartoon like this one, every new character model takes loads of time and money to create, so uniformly designed characters with reusable models are inevitable.

10. Riddler

Riddler Member

What an exciting episode!! Lots of great moments. The animation even seemed a notch up this week.

Razer should have brought Atrocitus back to the Interceptor when they were escaping!

They are going to need some serious reinforcements to take on that fleet of ships.

11. Master Toon

Master Toon New Member

This episode was great! The series started out good, then pretty good and now it's really good. However one thing bothered me though:

- Why did Atrocitus make Razor so mad during the fight? If I'm not mistaken, aren't the Red Lantern rings powered by anger and rage? So he pretty much boosted the power of someone who already really, really wanted to kill him in the first place. Yeah, think about that for a few minutes.

12. Dragnatek

Dragnatek New Member

This is sadly something some people don't realize. There are some people that call CG lazy who don't realize the work, the time and money a good CG show needs. It it's really not much lazier or even easier then a traditional hand drawn show.

Yes having simple reusable designs is something all animated TV shows like to do.

Anyway the episode itself. It was really good. Yes I agree there is no reason for Atrocitus to create Red Lanterns himself. There is no shortage of hatred in the universe, so there is no reason to add to it. Really it seems to have only been done to make Razor more sympathetic and Atrocitus more of a personal enemy to him. It was not really necessarily.

13. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

And of course the entire Red Lantern origin story scene hinged on Hal mugging one of the guards and stealing their uniform. I'm not sure how exactly that'd work with a Red Lantern when their clothes are essentially constructs from their ring.

14. jak d ripr

jak d ripr New Member

I loved this episode, was nice to get some backstory for the red lanterns but I was also disappointed in the whole atrocitus killed razers wife story. I was hoping(and still am) that the reds are bad, but righteous bad and going to a planet and killing all its inhabitants along with the dudes wife is kinda hard to sell as righteous.

It should be interesting to see what the true story behind how the manhunters slaughtered atrocitus's people, no doubt there was some red lantern embellishment but I get the feeling(or at least Im hoping) that the guardians aren't completely clean in this regard.

Should be fun seeing where the stories go down the line with the reds having a full on army in the back.

15. Robert McSantos

In the comics, it was a Guardian who caused the Manhunters to go off the reservation. (Though he wasn't officially a Guardian at the time. He had been cast out for various reasons.)

16. FightingDreamer

FightingDreamer Mutant on the Rise

Well. THAT was certainly an eye-opener. Laundry list!:

-The action just gets more and more intense with each passing episode. I can't wait to see how this conflict will now escalate with the threat of warships and the new Lantern colors we know are coming. I wonder if Hal will end up having to try and unite the various spectrums against this threat. That could be pretty awesome.

-I think the scene with the priest... worm thing was my favorite in the episode. Corey Burton (at least, I'm fairly certain that was him) gives him dignity and religious fervor, and I love Hal's stunned reaction to the backstory. He's quite literally speechless, and I have a feeling he's going to shove this in the Guardians' faces as soon as he gets the opportunity.

-Also, I can't be the only one who laughed at the goblin-esque stained glass depiction of the Guardians.

-I actually like the revelation that Atrocitus "created" Razer. It highlights the former's essential hypocrisy, in that he's become exactly the type of monster he believes the Guardians to be. I eagerly await the moment when someone calls him on it.

-Man, Kilowog is basically the Worf of this series: kick the crap out of him to show how serious things are. I don't terribly mind, as he still gets to be pretty awesome, but it's definitely noticeable.

-Unsurprisingly, the "ripped from a corpse so freshly dead" line from the Red Lantern Oath got changed (even with how intense the show's allowed to be, I can see Standards and Practices going, "OK, that's a *little* too much, guys"), but otherwise it's intact.

-Calling it now: Razer's going to abandon the ring at some point and become a Green Lantern. Yeah, others have done that, but I really think it's going to be a great evolution for the character.

Can't wait for more, as usual.

17. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

This suggests to me that Atrocitus is almost a double- that he represents Razer's dark side.

Razer does seem to exhibit some willpower but I think it might be more interesting if he joined a different Corps.

18. Robert McSantos

I could see Saint Walker and the Star Sapphires going for it without much convincing, but Larfleeze would be a tough sell. Assuming he's even in the first 13 episodes, which is kinda doubtful considering the show's production schedule.

I'd rather they just have him call himself on it. It's no secret that he believes the only way to defeat an evil is to become an even greater one.

19. ndb

ndb New Member

It's rare that we see a cartoon character's religion discussed, especially a bad guy's. It seems to me that the Red Lanterns fight for a religion, which in my eyes makes sense. I'm a Christian and I would die for my beliefs if I had too. (Note: I wouldn't start a attack, so you know.) It's better than the usual for money; for power story.

I really liked the episode, not my favorite, but it was very cool! Five stars!

20. Robert McSantos

Their religion is "hating the Guardians". That's a faith I think we can all get behind!