"Green Lantern: The Animated Series" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Green Lantern: The Animated Series - Saturdays at 10am (ET/PT) as part of DC Nation on Cartoon Network! Encore presentations Sundays at 10am (ET/PT).

[​IMG]
    Continue below for the official series description, courtesy of The World's Finest:

Based upon the DC Comics super hero, Green Lantern: The Animated Series is an all-new CG animated action series from Warner Bros Animation and overseen by world-renowned producer, artist and animator Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League, Teen Titans, Batman Beyond, DC Universe Original Animated Movies).

As Earth’s Green Lantern, Hal Jordan is used to being in dangerous situations — but he’s never faced anything like this! Set at the farthest reaches of deep space, Green Lantern: The Animated Series finds Hal on the Guardian Frontier, where he must face down an invasion from by the Red Lantern Corps. Powered by pure rage, the evil Red Lanterns have sworn to destroy the Green Lantern Corps and everything they stand for. Dispatched with his friend and former drill sergeant — the gruff, hulking alien Kilowog — on the experimental spacecraft The Interceptor, Hal is soon joined by an all-new group of heroes on a mission to protect Guardian Space — and the Green Lantern Corps itself!

Stay tuned for further updates at The World's Finest and check out the The World's Finest Green Lantern: The Animated Series subsite!

Previous Discussions:
    Green Lantern: The Animated Series News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Current News:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
  2. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter O Frabjous Day!

I CALLED IT!!!! Let it be known that I called this! According to the live blog of the Green Lantern panel at SDCC on Friday, Razor, the whiny wuss-face Red Lantern, is going to defect from the Red Lantern Corps, and eventually join the Green Lanterns. I KNEW it!!! "But should we harm the inoocents, Mister Atrocitus? Wahwahwahwahwah!" OF COURSE he was going to defect!

PROOF: http://www.ugo.com/tv/comic-con-2011-green-lantern-animated-series-coverage-and-panel

3. PaperBritt

PaperBritt New Member

Well, its good to know he won't be there long (if they were willing to spoil it, it probably happens early on), but my big beef is how did the red lanterns let him on in the first place? The red lanterns are fueled by rage, rage that most of the time blinds them with nothing but hatred and violence. I don't mind the show giving them more personality than "I HATE EVERYONE RAWR!", but how does someone like him even qualify?

I guess we'll have to wait and see more of his whiny antics before we can judge him, I suppose..

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Just to recap from Part 1, links:

Youtube; The WB
    *WB guy interviews Volpe, Timm, and Krieg at signing, spliced in with footage. Nothing exclusive except one or two of Atrocitus. 2-3 minutes.

Youtube; CN
    *CN posted the 6 minutes of footage shown at the presentation-panel
    *I took some screengrabs if you need a quick look: here

CBR Article
    *Talks about Razor; a "reformed Red Lantern" "for the ladies" as a "bit of a bad boy," and he will give viewers insight into the mind of a Red Lantern.

Atrocitus wanted revenge against Sinestro in the comics, so I'd imagine Razor wanted revenge against someone but perhaps unlike Atrocitus, Razor and probably a lot of the others don't have the same mastery of their rings/rage that Atrocitus does. Or Razor is a raw recruit that isn't fully indoctrinated yet.

5. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

The new footage looks GREAT. The show really looks amazing. I love the designs, the animation, the whole look of the show. Cant wait!!!

6. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

The recently released six-minute Green Lantern: The Animated Series Sizzle Reel can be found here in the standard Quicktime format.

7. Lockjaw

Lockjaw New Member

Thanks alot for that.
    I got to say after seeing that sizzle reel im getting more pumped for this series. The voice acting was great, Josh Keaton has done a very good job as Hal. Even though the CGI is lacking in detail such as terrain, models and architecture it looks like for the most part, it animates very well for a CGI series especially compared to the likes of Iron Man: AA and Spider-Man:MTV. The body and facial movements were spot on and the fight scene at the end looked very decently choreographed.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

I found some Q&A videos on Collider and Movie Web. And what looks to be the entire recording of the panel on Youtube.

So far I only watched Collider's chat with Mr. Timm. Some interesting nuggets to chew on:
    Star Sapphire or Star Sapphire Corps? Both? Hmm.

This one isn't verbatim but you get the idea...
    So we pretty much have Aya's origin. Very interesting to see what happens when they return from the fringes of space and how the Guardians and others in the Corps react to her.

Then on the Movie Web one, Bruce Timm noted
    As always since the pool is rather deep, it'll be interesting to see which other GL's get picked as guest stars.

9. Robert McSantos

Robert McSantos New Member

I remember Geoff Johns once saying that when he writes Larfleeze, Daffy Duck is the voice he imagines in his head.

With that in mind, if Larfleeze does appear in this show like Bruce Timm may have hinted at, it would be pretty great if they could get Jeff Bergman to do his Daffy voice for him.

10. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

For some reason I'm digging the animatio a whole lot. I dare say that Clone Wars looks better cause it seems to have more details in its artwork. That and everyone looks like an action figure in that sizzle reel :p. And this is coming from a guy who loves CG

11. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

That got me looking forward to this series. While all my problems with the cgi are still there it does look like a fun show to watch. The voice acting is very good as well, which does help a lot.

12. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

This just got me that much more interested in the series...

The animation is still a concern as everything seems too bright/undetailed/kiddified... but it's also very fluid and the facial expressions are wonderfully rendered. As long as the story and acting are good I can definitely overlook the style.

Big shout to Josh Keaton who it seems is going to do a fantastic job as Hal Jordan.

13. DerekPowers

So what was the reason Sinestro can't be in the show? Is it just for season 1?

Also, in the panel discussion, what did Bruce Timm show at the end. He said it's something he'd been working on on the side.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

It wasn't brought up at the panel. Last year, they were "staying away from Sinestro for now because of the movie franchise." So that sorta implies he may appear after season one granted they are renewed and what not. This year, Sinestro Corps was off limits. They were directly told during a meeting not to use them. One theory floating around is they are being used for a DC Universe animated movie.

Conan's Flaming C.

15. suss2it

suss2it New Member

I hope that's not the reason. Owlman was able to appear in both Brave and the Bold and Crisis on Two Earths​ and they came out within a year or two of each other.

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Even then TBATB only got approval to use Owlman. But you have a good point. Could the reason then be because of what's going in the comics (i.e. Flashpoint)?

17. DerekPowers

Thanks.

Geez, I hope it's not another stupid embargo. If it is because of the movie franchise, which seems the most likely reason, then does that mean he wont appear at all? A sequel to the movie, if it's coming, probably wouldn't happen for at least a couple of years, so what the heck??

This series seems AWESOME, I'd hate for it to not feature the hero's arch enemy. It would really hinder the show and it's legacy.

There seems to be a strange trend or willingness in pop culture these days, of saving the arch enemy for "the sequel" or "down the road" (Nolan Batman, GL movie, Sherlock Holmes movie, off the top of my head) and it's a real shame. I think it really hurts the property and makes everything preceding the arch enemy's arrival feel like a throw-away.

Hopefully this wont be the case w/ GL:TAS, but the no Sinestro news is a real bummer.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

I think this is just a case of overreacting to "no news" on Sinestro. The Brave and The Bold got to use the Joker in all three of its seasons, even when TDK was around in 2008 so it'll be eventual for Sinestro. The case stands that season one's principle villains will be Red Lanterns and Manhunters. There'll probably be some good surprises, maybe a mention of Sinestro to set up a future appearance. It's not a bad thing he's not showing up first, I mean that's only happened everytime in animation the past few years. GL's got a pretty interesting rogue's gallery, and to get it fleshed out in season one may be a good thing.

19. Lockjaw

Lockjaw New Member

My guess is the execs at WB dont want the animated show spoiling anything in the sequel to the GL film. It could be very frustrating if the embargo is tied to the second movie, assuming thats made in the next 2-3 years like most sequels then we may have to wait until the third season to finally get Sinestro (if its been renewed of course). While i kind of understand their motives, A:EMH was allowed to use Loki who played a big part in that show and that didn't seem to have a big detriment on the box office success or critical reception of Thor.

At anyrate i agree i think GL has an diverse enough rogue's gallery to compensate for the loss of Sinestro and not starting from the beginning is for the best in my opinion when you have the movie and DTV. With that said does anyone know if there is similar embargo's for the likes of the Anti-Monitor, Parallax and Hector Hammond?

20. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

They kind of let the cat out of the bag with the post credits "surprise." But I agree that it will be nice to see an expanded rogues gallery. Still, I would like to see Sinestro, or at least some of his corps at some point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.