Green Lantern: The Animated Series "Lost Planet" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Apr 7, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment - Green Lantern: The Animated Series "Lost Planet"

1. *****

45.2%
  2. ****1/2

35.5%
  3. ****

12.9%
  4. ***1/2

3.2%
  5. ***

3.2%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest Administrator Moderator Reporter

Check out an all-new episode of Green Lantern: The Animated Series today at 10:00am (ET/PT) on Cartoon Network!

Green Lantern: The Animated Series
    April 7th, 2012 at 10:00am (ET/PT) - "#6 Lost Planet"

The Green Lanterns travel to a mysterious planet to save the inhabitants from an approaching asteroid that is on a lethal collision course. Once there, they discover the planet itself will not allow its inhabitants to leave. It's up to the Green Lanterns to figure out the mystery before the planet-killing asteroid destroys everything.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Feel free to comment as the episode airs, too, providing your own commentary. However, do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And please remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Yeah, I figure they're setting up a trap. Nice blatant booty shot of Aya there.

All right, Saint Walker.

3. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Member

Saint Walker!!!!!!!!!

4. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

This episode gave me so many good feels.

Saint Walker and
    chillin' together.

LOVE IT.

5. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Active Member

So Hal has Mogo for back up. Honestly that's all he needs. Mogo is an army in of himself, too bad he does not socialize.

6. Robert McSantos

Robert McSantos New Member

What's amazing about this show is that it can actually make me like three powerless filler villains. More potential recruits for the Red Lantern Corps/Sinestro Corps/Indigo Tribe/Larfleeze's dinner?

Spoilers about Saint Walker's future:

7. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

I agree.

Even then, the addition of straight-up combative skills (more defensive, I guess) doesn't hurt the character in any way (I actually think it's a brilliant addition, for the reason you mentioned). He still sounds like Saint Walker from the comics, and that is good enough for me!

8. Robert McSantos

Even in the comics, it was sorta implied he could do stuff like this.

9. FightingDreamer

FightingDreamer Mutant on the Rise

I missed bits and pieces of this, so I'll have to do a full rewatch before any kind of real analysis. I will say though that Phil Morris proves once again to be a total scene-stealer as Saint Walker; it's still that great, distinct voice, but applied to a completely different characterization than his Vandal Savage, Jonah Hex, Imperiex, Doc Saturday or Joshua Sweet. I can't wait to see and hear more of this intriguing new player.

10. Monte

Monte Active Member

It was a good episode, if i hadn't seen emerald knights i might not have been so quick to guess Mogo. And ya really love saint walker

Though there is one thing that irk's me a bit about both this and last episode... namely that Razor never thinks to power down his ring. I mean, much like how they did not want him walking around on the planet last episode Hal should be more conscious about having a red lantern in their company. If Razor would just power down, he would be able to walk around without alarming anyone. Not to mention that he lacks a battery which means that he has a limited amount of power; he should as such be conserving power and only using the ring when necessary until he can get his hands on a red lantern battery. In fact, i think this episode showed he was beginning to run low on juice as i think his ring was flickering a bit while he was playing with walker

11. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Saint Walker was GREAT. Never read him in the comics, but I'm familiar with him and love his design... but yeah, really awesome here. I like that they went with a "warrior ascetic" sort of approach, even without the Blue Lantern ring. I think it really suits their niche.

I think this episode really nailed for me how perfectly done this show is. I mean, Young Justice may be flashier, Avengers may have more fanservice, but there's honestly nothing wrong with it. Probably speaks for Bruce Timm and the whole DC Animation team: they can crank something like this out and make it look effortless.

Robert McSantos was right: even generic filler villains are interestingly designed, voiced, and characterized. I think I saw one shot where a tentacle-hair clipped through that one alien's shirt... but otherwise I can't find a flaw.

12. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Great episode :anime:
    Nice to have Saint Walker animated for the first time
    Good to see Mogo also appear

13. Riddler

Riddler Member

Loved hearing Phil Morris as Saint Walker after I just recently met him at the JL: Doom premiere! I recognized Clancy Brown in both GL and YJ today!

I thought there was some good character development with Aya... her character is starting to grow on me.

I thought maybe Razer was going to get the ring when Saint Walker gave it to him. I was not expecting Mogo.

Great episode!

14. McRowdy

McRowdy Member

This episode may me question where Razor is heading in the future. Obviously after this episode he can't keep on with the red power ring as it's begun to flicker out, and there an obvious redemption theme hanging around the character.

Initially I assumed that he would be heading to the Green Lantern Corp after sometime, but this episode made me question that some. I don't think it was just coincidence that Saint Walker was the one to start asking Razor some of the big questions. And this episode made me think how much a Blue Lantern could help their team dynamic, as we all saw how quick their rings and the ship were drained trying to stop the meteorite. On the other hand when Saint Walker presented Razor with the ring that scene seemed pretty poignant as well.

In other observations they pretty much have to let Aya become a GL now.

15. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator Moderator

And here I thought Mogo didn't socialize;)

Another good episode and I dig Saint Walker even if I don't know much about him( here or in the comics ). I just really liked his very passive almost playful fighting or defensive style with the highlight being him walking on a falling tree.

So far neither Hal or Kilowog has really been a leader in the traditional sense but it seems with Hal's "that's an order" line he might be ready to step up into it that role. Razer's arc is interesting, the obvious path is him becoming a Green Lantern and I still assume will happen but it would be a cool twist if he went a different path.

16. reflection01

reflection01 Active Member

As soon as I heard Clancy Brown, I was pretty sure he was a villain.

This ep had a lot of familiar beats and Mogo was obvious, but man it was done very well and kept me interested. Every ep I'm curious how they're going to keep it up and they do.

17. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I had no idea Juliet Landau voiced the villainess. Another DCAU reunion ep of sorts!

I actually didn't see the reveal with Mogo coming as I'd honestly forgotten him. I thought it was done well. Though I was surprised he actually killed one of the prisoners.

18. Robert McSantos

If you watched the promo for next week's episode, the gang is going up against Red Lanterns on Shard, so he might steal a battery from one of them and stay a Red for a bit longer.

Sure looked like foreshadowing to me.

I'm sure some of the Guardians will disagree. They've had a very bad experience with building robots who become smart enough to think for themselves.

Yeah, what was up with that scene? He didn't have any reason to kill the guy, but he didn't have any reason to fool Hal with a statue either. It's like he was just trolling.

19. frostedone

frostedone New Member

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

?!? Well done GL creative team. This was my favorite episode yet! I really hope that Aya makes it into the comic.

This show has the potential to really stand alongside the best of them. I hope this show creates a spinoff universe like how BTAS created the DCAU.

Think of it like DCAU 2.0. CGI edition.

I like the GL comics, but love this show more. When I first heard about a CGI Green Lantern cartoon I was a little skeptical, since I usually prefer traditional 2D animation, but you proved me wrong.

20. ndb

ndb New Member

Wow, just wow. Not knowing anything about the comics, the Mogo thing shocked me and the idea of a GL planet? Holy cow. Kilowog and the other guys conversation was well done and chilling when he revealed whose side he was on. I woulda thought that Aya would have noticed the female character walking around the ship, but eh,
    No big deal.

Now for the important part.

Oh, when the Saints go marchin in! Total show stealer! The best performance of the series right there! Yeah, I might have to buy his statue now. (anybody got a $150 lying around?)