Green Lantern: The Animated Series "Into the Abyss" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 24, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment - Green Lantern: The Animated Series "Into the Abyss"

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

16.7%
  3. ****

33.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Check out an all-new episode of Green Lantern: The Animated Series today at 10:00am (ET/PT) on Cartoon Network!

Green Lantern: The Animated Series
    Saturday, March 24th, 2012 at 10:00am (ET/PT) - "#4 Into the Abyss"

The Green Lanterns are called upon to save a cargo ship caught in a dangerous black hole-type anomaly. With help from Red Lantern Razer and Aya, the Interceptor's AI, Hal and Kilowog must bring the ship and it's valuable cargo to safety before they're crushed alive.

Comments?

2. Blackmanba

Blackmanba New Member

30 seconds in an Kilowog is already picking a fight!

Edit: The obligatory bonding episode, nice! Also good to see Aya in her body.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  3. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Meet the newest GL.

Sent from my Motorola Triumph using toonzone

4. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Great episode :anime:
    My favorite parts are the Kilowog and Razar fight scene and Aya's Robot Form

5. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

This show is nearly ignored on here. I didn't think I would like this show, and didn't even watch the sneak peek last year. It just didn't look "good" to me, in style and substance, but I watched all of the episodes since the block launched and I'm really enjoying it. I liked this episode. I like Young Justice more, but it feels like this show should be warranting more than three replies in its talkback thread.

6. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme

I gotta say, I didn't see the twist involving Aya's pieces being the shadowy bugs coming at all.

7. Riddler

Riddler Member

I thought there was a lot of good action and suspense. The animation was really nice and vibrant - the scene where Hal flys the ship around the pinhole to gain speed was very cool!

So when Aya is in this body, does she have all the powers of a regular Green Lantern?

8. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

An enjoyable episode. My favorite moment was when Hal was trying to break up the first argument between Kilowog and Razer and tells them to shake hands, and they start shaking their fists at each other, followed by Aya debuting her robot form.

9. hugo

hugo New Member

Agreed.

In fact, a lot DC modern animated shows seemed more or less weird to me when I first heard of them, and however I rarely was disappointed by them:
    • Justice League (John Stewart and Hawkgirl as founding members ???)
    • Teen Titans (manga style ???)
    • Brave & the Bold (Dick Sprang and Jaime Reyes ??? Green Arrow without beard but Aquaman with one ???)
    • Young Justice (Dick Grayson and Superboy ???)
    • Green Lantern (the Clone Wars team ???)

The only "weak" points for me were The Batman (more targeted to young audiences, and not all of them) and Legion (didn't see a lot of episodes, anyway)

I even enjoyed more the DTVs I expected the least (Wonder Woman, Red Hood) and was less convinced by all the Justice League ones (New Frontier, Crisis on Two Earth and Doom)

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

This episode was a lat better then I thought it was going to be. The summary made it sound boring, but it wasn't. There wasn't even really a villain, and the episode still mangaed to hold my attention. The CGI isn't bad, IMO. I think that it maybe isn't as good as Transformers: Prime's animation, but still. A lot better than the haters would have you believe.

I like Aya. At first I thought that she would annoy me, but.... I'm warming to her.

So far, the only weak link for me is Razer. He is the voice of doom, and he doesn't shut up about every single negative thing! I mean, c'mon. He needs to be a bit more optimistic.

11. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

It was a pretty enjoyable episode. My favorite part was probably seeing the beginning of some camaraderie between Kilowog and Razer but it was also cool to see Aya coming to the rescue in the way that she did. I really didn't expect that the episode would just be a rescue mission but I'm glad that I wasn't bored with that basic plot. I probably just have poor TV CG taste but I have no problem with the way most of the visuals on the show look. Nothing I'm seeing ever takes me out of enjoying the show.

Not to necessarily draw a comparison to a classic CG series but I can't help but think of Dinobot every time old "Negative Nelly" Razer is speaking. I hope he can prove to be as memorable as Dinobot was.

12. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member

I thought it was a pretty good episode, all in all. I am however quickly growing bored of Razer. Nobody has any in-depth characterization this early but still, the constant bringer of bad news act is getting old.

13. Robert McSantos

Robert McSantos New Member

That seems to be how it always is with solo hero shows. Batman: The Brave and the Bold didn't usually get a lot of comments either. I guess people just like team shows more?

My friend said, "Does she need a ring?"

I said, "She is a ring!"

14. jph139

jph139 Immortal

I really like Aya. Not a huge fan of her design, mind you - the face seems a bit too "human" which I get is what she's going for, but, still. I prefer the eyeball. Cuter, I guess you could say.

But yeah, this is probably my favorite episode yet (which probably isn't saying much, since we're only four in, but, still). I like that the scope is a lot smaller than something like Young Justice - it's classic space cop stuff. Save a cargo wreck, escape from a black hole, save the last vestiges of its species... made me think of Mass Effect, which I've been playing lately. Man, what a game that would be, eh? A Green Lantern RPG?

But anyways great plot. Simple but effective. Very tense ending, too, with the slingshot... not to mention the walls closing in... so solid.

15. Robert McSantos

Robert McSantos New Member

Ironic choice of words, considering the scope is technically the entire universe. :p

I get what you mean though. The stakes are lower, at least at this point in the story.

16. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

I quite enjoyed this episode. The Razer-Kilowog moments were pretty funny (I got a few genuine laughs out of them), this iteration of Hal is proving to be an enjoyable character in his own right, and Aya! She's so adorable!

Although I can't help but draw a parallel between this and a certain character in 'Mass Effect 3', I felt this handled the topic/trope a hell of a lot better.

17. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

This was an enjoyable episode. The pacing was a bit off, though, and it felt a bit padded with them taking an awful long time to get to the engine room.

I did like that the little attention to detail that black holes suck in light, along with everything else, so all their ring constructs were getting pull into it. Though they kinda screwed-up a lot of other details about black holes, that because of the gravity distortion time warps as well so time appears to slow down the closer you get to it, then there's the fact that they don't glow. What with the whole sucking light in, an' all. But that's just the Sci-Fi nerd in me picking up on the little details.

While this Kilowog is enjoyable he's a far cry from the comics version. There he was a lovable but tough drill sergeant. Here he can't think of reasons why/how Green Lanterns are picked. He should have a list a mile long about what makes a Green Lantern, but this isn't the comics and this isn't that Kilowog. Different character interpretations and all, I just prefer the comics one but as I said this one's enjoyable for the show.

I'm a little surprised they gave Aya a body this early in the season. I expected it a little further down the line not the forth episode. I like the design; it looks nice and sleek but also compact and robotic. Anyone else reminded of the Portal games with Aya's robot bugs and her body? It looks a little reminiscent of the style of tech from there, to me at least.

18. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Yea I'm getting a mix of Portal bots( I don't know what they're called ) and EDI from Mass Effect when it comes to Aya. Which is a good thing in my eyes. Thought the episode was good little adventure even if a little padded near the end. Also liked Kilowag's construct rocket pack. And yes the shaking hands bit was good.

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Great to see Matt Wayne wrote this one. Also neat that Wayne Knight ("Newman...") voiced Captain Goray. Interesting to see bits of Razer's role for the Red's being revealed - first with that Hunter-Killer Drone in the pilot and now his admitting he laid the pinhole trap.

I'm thinking she has more power than regular Green Lantern's power ring. Consider when Hal Jordan tapped into the Interceptor's power reserve in the pilot and how he totally blasted Razer and Zox off the planet.

20. quigonkenny

quigonkenny New Member

He never admitted to laying a pinhole trap specifically, especially this one (as it wasn't a trap). What he admitted to was that he was the one who planned out the GL traps like the ones he and Zox sprung on Rev and the unnamed(?) Frontier Lantern who Zox killed at the beginning of the series.