Green Lantern: The Animated Series "Heir Apparent" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 31, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment - Green Lantern: The Animated Series "Heir Apparent"

1. *****

15.2%
  2. ****1/2

42.4%
  3. ****

33.3%
  4. ***1/2

6.1%
  5. ***

3.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Check out an all-new episode of Green Lantern: The Animated Series today at 10:00am (ET/PT) on Cartoon Network!

Green Lantern: The Animated Series
    Saturday, March 31st, 2012 at 10:00am (ET/PT) - "#5 Heir Apparent"

The Green Lanterns travel to Betrassus, a high tech yet medieval world, where they become embroiled in a murder investigation that could bring down Queen Iolande's kingdom before it even begins.

Comments?

2. Blackmanba

Blackmanba New Member

With Hal's constant flirting, I can see why Star Sapphire is trying to kill him.

Okay so the Queens brother is the killer.

Edit: Or at the very least he seems like the most likely suspect.

3. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

"For future reference, while in my physical form I dislike being pushed into the dirt."

Oh, Aya.

That was the murderer walking in the background just now. Bum-bum-bummmm.

4. Blackmanba

Blackmanba New Member

Jousting, is not just a human sport.

Yeah Hal! that was pretty obvious.

Okay Ayalonday(is that how you spell it?) came as a surprise to me, I could tell she had the right stuff to be a lantern though I didn't even think about it.

5. Dorko

Dorko New Member

Iolande. She's been a Lantern in the comics for a few years and even had a cameo in the movie.

6. Blackmanba

Blackmanba New Member

Thanks!:D

7. FightingDreamer

FightingDreamer Mutant on the Rise

This show just keeps bringing it, week after week. Laundry list!:

-I had a feeling DiMaggio (I can't remember how to actually spell his character's name) wasn't the true culprit; he was too obvious. Ergo, I liked that he immediately jumped into action to help rescue Iolande and offered his full fealty at the end.

-By the same token, I loved that Hal and Kilowog played it smart, setting a legitimately clever trap for Ragnar. It shows that our heroes can think of solutions to fights beyond "punch it 'till it falls over".

-Razer and Aya's... whatever it is, it's fascinating to see that relationship develop.

-Kind of weird going from Will Friedle as Lion-O straight to, well, this. But hey, he gets to show off his acting range, so it's all good.

-Iolande not joining the crusade at the end is bittersweet; they helped her out, sure, but that doesn't mean she can up and abandon her people. It's not going to be that easy, guys.

8. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Great episode :anime:
    Nice to have Iolande turn into a Green Lantern

9. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Really! A surprise to me... looking her up, it seems her backstory was pretty much identical to this episode. I had no idea - I guess an advantage of never reading Green Lantern makes things even fresher than usual.

Even so, it WAS a bit predictable. I knew the brother would go evil from the first "So how exactly do you BECOME a Green Lantern... oh, another one has to die...?" conversation. And once the fake ring avoided Iolande I had a feeling she'd already gotten one. Of course, the death of the first Lantern was a surprise. Frontier Space seems to have a pretty high casualty rate!

Like I said, a pretty by-the-numbers episode, but I think the show's strength is that even with simple, one-off plots, it's still really engaging. I think it's the strength of the characters and their actors. Hal flirting, Kilowog downing his ale when he volunteers, Aya being terrible human AND robotic, Razer coming into his own... all feels really organic.

But did anyone else get a hefty dose of foreshadowing at the end? The brother being dragged away, saying he'll become a Lantern one day and they'll all pay? I could see a red ring coming his way for sure...

10. Blackmanba

Blackmanba New Member

I second that! with the anger and resentment he has towards his sister and the rest of the lanterns he could become a good candidate for the reds.

11. jak d ripr

jak d ripr New Member

It would be awesome if will friedie made his return to DC with a villain, but Im not holding my breath. Another awesome episode, and once again the writers took what pretty much amounted to a filler episode and turned it into something extremely engaging. Honestly hats off to the production crew, this show keeps impressing me with each episode, I honestly can't wait till we actually start dealing with plot related stuff.

Correct me if Im wrong, but the hot head warrior was john dimaggio and the other green lantern was keith david right? Felt kinda like a waste of good talent, especially davids character, I was hoping he would join them eventually but what can you do?

The fact that the only complaints I've had with all the episodes so far is that they are only 20 minutes just shows how awesome this show is. Glad to see its living up to my expectations.

12. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

I really enjoyed this episode, maybe my favorite so far. Hopefully we will see the Red Lanterns again soon. I think they are due for a return appearance to keep the over arching arc moving along.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I liked this episode. I admit, some parts felt too predictable, but I still enjoyed it.

My only complaint is that Razer and Aya didn't really get to do much at all in this episode.

14. Mistah K88

Mistah K88 New Member

I'm surprised these don't get too many posts...Anyway, I have to say that Iolande's brother being the culprit behind the murder was a bit predictable after he asked how the Green Lanterns were chosen. However, I did wonder when Kilowag's ring came off and it chose him. I was thinking "HOW?" with Ragnar being a murderer and all.

15. Robert McSantos

Robert McSantos New Member

Wow, this must have been an expensive episode! Just look at all the new props, sets, and characters they had to build.

Oh yeah, that reminds me...

Future Black Lantern Masterlist:
    M'tek
    Shyir Rev
    Elana
    Dulok

I knew it must have been some kind of hoax. Ragnar isn't even from the same space sector!

16. McRowdy

McRowdy New Member

That was pretty good, but predictable. I knew it was the brother after the indecent amount of brown nosing and inquiry he had. Still enjoyable none the less, and it was nice to see the Queen become a Lantern at the end.

I'm not much of a shipper, but I got a little hint of Aya/Razer in the ship when they both told the other they looked good. The whole scene was just sort of strange even if I don't look at it in that light. I might just be seeing nothing though.

17. wakawakawaka

wakawakawaka New Member

i liked the epsiode but i though the princess they spoke of would be somebody else

18. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

It was a predictable episode, plot-wise, but sometimes it's how you tell the plot that makes or breaks it. Fortunately, this episode was pretty good! I'm saddened Iolande didn't get her awesome cape, but oh well.

I have to admit, my shipper side is squeeing p. hard at the Razer/Aya hints. It might not amount to anything -and it could very well be sunk in an episode or two-, but idek... Aya's so adorable and I think she and Razer make good foil for one another, at least.

19. ndb

ndb New Member

Thoughts:

Hmm, I wish the plot was thickening, but oh well, an entertaining episode is always fun to watch. I'm only afriad this will hit the same level as Geneerator Rex where a little plot was added every episode, but it soon became boring. I hope not! This is my current favorite show! Here's to 5 more seasons! (I wish)

Aya and Razor investigating the body was interesting, I wasn't expect them to show it. Character development for Aya and Razor is interesting also, afraid to ask where it could go.

Finally, my prediction is for the finale is all the lanterns Hal finds in this season gather for the big battle. The things is, didn't Bruce Timm say that Atrocitus would be "bored, cause there are no more lanterns to slaughter".

Oh boy.............. Whatever you do, don't get too attached to the characters.... (Please don't kill razor!)

20. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

In the bold: nice to know I'm not the only one wondering where those two may end up.

Agreed, good episode overall. Nice to see Iolande get a speaking role after non-speaking cameos in the animated films.