1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Green Lantern" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Cortez2301, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

If you have a Nintendo 3DS, a 3D trailer for Green Lantern is available on the eShop.

2. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

Check out over 25 brand new images of the Green Lantern Corps members, many of which are the first official look at how they'll appear in the movie rather than the promo art we've seen in the past:

http://greenlanternmovie.warnerbros.com/sectormap/

3. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

An interesting look at box-office predictions for Green Lantern:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/06/10/did-this-hollywood-player-make-a-huge-mistake.aspx

Let's keep the movie bashing to a minimum please. This is actually pretty interesting stuff.

4. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

WB's dreaming big... a little too big. I expect Green Lantern to be a hit, but there's no humanly possible way that it's going to live up to the studio's expectations.

5. Kool345

Kool345 Starting at 8/7c on ABC

I'm looking forward to this movie. I think Green Lantern deserves more exposure.

6. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My dad and I were just talking over the weekend about how much is riding on Green Lantern, in regards to opening the door (or shutting it further) for eventual big screen appearances by other DC characters. We're especially hopeful GL's success will light a fire under someone to finally get The Flash on the big screen.

7. Don_East

Don_East A regular character.

I also want this to do good. If it succeeds, WB/DC will finally start work other heroes like the Flash and prove that a comic book movie doesn't need to be like the Dark Knight. If it doesn't, expect David S. Goyer to get more work from DC.

8. dmxx116

9. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I was wondering why there were no "Rotten Tomatoes" reviews, and I guess this is the reason. According to this Green Lantern was not screened in advance for critics, in fact it's being held so it will be just late enough that most print outlets will miss the deadline for their weekend movie review sections. I'm sorry but that does not scream "confidence in our product" to me.

http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com...green-lantern-screening-after-press-deadlines

10. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

Shawn, for the last time, if they had confidence in their product, it wouldn't have taken so long to get any DC superhero movie that wasn't Batman made. They didn't have confidence from the beginning.

11. Shawn Hopkins

Did we talk about this before? :) I was referring to this film only, I think DC and Warner Bros. certainly do have confidence in their product in general, they have the most iconic superheroes and they know it. It's just that most filmmakers are very clumsy about bringing that to the screen.

I'm still going to see it, though, even if it is bad. I see almost every superhero movie in the theater. Yeah, I'm that kind of sucker.

Also, those "reviews" in that Youtube spot are just blurbs from industry insiders. I couldn't find any of those reviews online anywhere.

I did find this one, though. It's a very negative 2 of 5 stars review from Time Out.

http://www.timeout.com/film/reviews/89557/green-lantern.html

#491 Shawn Hopkins, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
  12. Don_East

Don_East A regular character.

Maybe it's another SFX issue. That has been something that happened to the movie. I hope it's that. I want this movie to be good, I've waited years for this moment and I don't want this to be in the same bin as Daredevil & Catwoman.

13. Shawn Hopkins

I don't think so, because they screened it for industry insiders and distributors, that's where all those tweets about it come from. Review embargoes and late screenings are pretty common tactics for bad movies. I'm not saying Green Lantern will be a bad movie, I don't know. Just that the studio has chosen tactics that are often used for bad movies.

14. Kindness King

Kindness King Active Member

I have a couple of free tickets from a blunder that happened when I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean 4. I have a feeling this movie will be good, but at least either way I'll be covered. ;)

Please do not compare Daredevil to Catwoman. It's NOTHING like that movie, and the Director's Cut is better.

15. Shawn Hopkins

I thought Daredevil, yes the director's cut, was really bad. Like, super bad. Especially if you're a fan of the Frank Miller comics, they get just about everything you could get wrong wrong. Put me down with Don as hoping Green Lantern is at least better than that.

16. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yea the DD Director's Cut makes a horrendous movie into just a regular bad movie. As for GL..yea that doesn't inspire confidence. Hopefully WB is worrying over nothing and that the reviews end up pretty good.

17. dmxx116

#497 dmxx116, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
  18. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Yikes! Total Film is usually a little picky, but I was surely expecting 3 stars at least.

Village Voice is a little more positive, but where's the photo from? It's an entirely different costume.

19. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

LOL! That's the fake photo some fan created last year. So much for researching the subject of your review. :D

20. Shawn Hopkins

It was still really negative, though. When you get the words "soullessly cycles," "nonsensical," "boilerplate," and "ADD" in a review, it's usually not a good thing. About the only things they liked were Sarsgaard's campy performance, the Parallax FX, and Reynold's abs.

It's funny that both reviews used the same "light up your life" line, though. I think that'll probably end up on about 30 percent of reviews.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.