1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Green Lantern Corps." Feature Film News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by dmxx116, Apr 17, 2015.

1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Common shows interest in playing Stewart again:

http://m.ign.com/articles/

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I'll take your word for it; the article seems to have dropped off the page. I guess Common was really disappointed when George Miller's Justice League movie fell apart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Not content with playing just a mobster killed by the Joker, eh? :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess it would be nice to know, since WB is looking at names for Hal, who they might be looking for in regards to John so we get a better idea of what WB wants for the character rather then actors continually petitioning themselves for the role to no avail :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Because the reception of the idea of him writing it went over so well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was trepiditious enough about Goyer's involvement when it came to writing the film, but having him direct it...well, that worked out so well for Blade: Trinity :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. the greenman

Yeah, Goyer is the same guy who said Martian Manhunter is a stupid name for a stupid character. He is just kinda epitome of 90's era cbm. So the industry really needs to seek out new blood.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Green Lantern from 2011 already screwed over the brand. WB, please don't mess up Green Lantern again! I'll be so sad...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

AUGH!!! Nope, nope, nope.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

John feels fine, Hal on the other hand...no. Look just because the movie was bad doesn't mean you should completely rewrite his character, not to mention it straight up contradicts what we know about the DCEU. Regardless of how you may feel about it, MoS is canonically the first recorded appearance of super beings on Earth, you really expect me to believe Hal didn't use his Green Lantern ring on Earth for any period of time for give or take 11 years? Or do we have to believe he was just in space for all that time?

Why even have Hal? If you're trying give a full reboot why not have Kyle as the main lantern?

• Like Like x 1
    #92 AnotherRandomGuy, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I really like the idea of a mentor/new guy relationship, which would go back to the buddy cop rumors from a while back.

I'm glad that Guy isn't part of the main duo. :p

• Like Like x 1
  14. the greenman

The character shouldn't be of concern. It's the screenwriter I would be nervous about. Goyer is about as hit-or-miss as Snyder was.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

I feel like character is a direct relation of this though, this turn for Hal is exactly the kind of thing Goyer would do in some sort of misguided effort to make him more "realistic and relatable".

• Like Like x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm fine so long as they cast someone in their late 30's-early 40's, because at least that won't preclude them from being active or have them looking too aged for Hal.

I mean, James Marsden is 43 and I'd love to see him as Hal ;).

17. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

And Nathan Fillion is 46. Just sayin'.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

First off, Man of Steel established that in the current era there were supposed no other super beings or alien threats generally known about. However as Batman v Superman and Wonder Woman demonstrated, there were clearly other super powered and divine beings on earth that could go toe to toe with Kal-El. Since we know that Wonder Woman was there she just remained in secret for so long because... okay that hasn't been firmly established but eh maybe a sequel to her movie could do so. Still for all we know there were other threats against the earth that could of just been taken care of by Hal Jordan without anyone being the wiser due to them not esclating to the point of Zod's message/assault.

Also thinking about it, there is an actual possibility that Hal could of been in space that time. I mean it has been established within the regular GL continuity that lanterns usually train and are given sectors that aren't their original home area so they wouldn't give places personal biases with their power. So for all we know maybe Hal found the Green Lantern's power but there were no threats or tethers on earth to connect him to really ask to go patrol in that area so spent his time off world. I mean the universe is a large place and I'm sure there are lanterns who can go quite awhile without seeing their home planet at all.

Actually that would be an interesting angle to explore this movie thinking about it. I mean maybe the core is alerted to now after the events of MoS there are actual super dangerous threats and terrors brewing in our particular solar system so want a green lantern to patrol it. However instead of having Hal do so they select John Stewart and maybe that makes Hal have a chip on his shoulder in training John and that leads to conflict in their relationship that could be the cornerstone of the movie. I mean there are possibilities there and it would be a different sort of dynamic for a super hero film to tackle and I'd be down for that. Especially if Hal is still the more rugged cocky fly by the seat of his pants sort of guy and John is more the no nonense still has to learn real ingeunity eager recruit and that's also part of their repitorore. Honestly makes me more exited if that's the plot for this movie then I was before about the project.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Tyrese Gibson confirmed he had a couple meetings with WB about John Stewart but seems they're still trying to figure out the take on the character.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

Hopefully they can comfrim him as John Stewart at next week SDCC.

• Like Like x 1