1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Green Lantern Corps." Feature Film News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by dmxx116, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

For those of us who thought Warner Bros. may learn their lessons from their string of terrible DC films, Goyer writing this confirms they haven't.

A Green Lantern buddy cop space movie sounds good. A David Gower penned one does not.

Is finding good quality writers and directors for DC films as hard as Warners make it out to be? Gower and Snyder should've been removed from such discussions as soon as Man of Steel was released.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

David Goyer, not Gower. I give Goyer brownie points for enthusiasm, but his screenwriting can be pretty uneven.

#62 Otaku-sempai, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Goyer has done some good work in the past, so I'm cautiously optimistic, but I need the trailer to not have any brooding Green Lanterns.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

It really is not so much the writers at this point but WB execs. We see the results. They need to leave the filmmakers alone, amd jamming in their thoughts, before they collapse the franchise. Personally I am just hoping they find someone capable of shepherding these films, or else go back to solo stand alone efforts.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I don't know he probably won't include the actual guardians or other lanterns because he thinks only virgins no who they are.

Seriously F him he does not care about what makes comics like Green Lantern great.

6. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

This is the man who thought Superman should snap necks and helped write not one but two terrible Superman movies. I can't see the justification in giving him a third chance.

Same with Snyder I suppose. Someone at WB needs to buck their ideas up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. the greenman

Well, they invited Geoff Johns back to this project, so WB clearly only has a small pool to fish out of.

8. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

There's another thing why is Geoff Johns the only comic writer who gets a special treatment he gets to write for both TV and film while DC has so many writers of their own who can't get into either.

9. the greenman

This is how think of WB logic: Albert-Einstein-Quotes-6.jpg
    Seriously, why are they using the same guys again? And no they are not of the winning team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

On the bright side, it's 3 years to go so hoping certain people leave the movie and new blood comes in. It's disconcerting they don't have a wide pool to pick from or they're not attracting talent that grew up on this material. It's not like there's a brain drain to Marvel Studios, there's got to still be some great writers out there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Definitely, but they need to attract people interested in these projects. Besides, Patty Jenkins and David Ayer, these movies seem to be mainly directed by Zack Snyder. James Wan is still on Aquaman, but Ben Affleck has shown a little hesitation with Batman (even if he's sticking with it), and the directors for the Flash keep leaving. So there could be big DC fans who grew up with these characters, but don't want to direct the movies WB is distributing. Or there could be directors who met with WB but left because of creative differences like we've already heard about.

Anyway, I have faith Green Lantern Corps could be good with David Goyer, but I want to see what he does with this rather than focus on his past work. I just don't want another GL movie to be... disappointing. GL is one of my favorite DC superheroes and seeing his first ever live-action movie flop was a slap in the face. And right now, the DCEU isn't giving me hope for their future films but I'm still looking forward to Green Lantern Corps.

12. the greenman

WB always operated on the creative vision of the filmmaker. However, now they are probably having creative differences cause the Studio is forcing a connective universe. I feel that's what the issues are. On top of the fact that they may be right. Defending core integrity of the character is more important than a director who comes in and wants to change things. That is FINE in a solo standalone film, not a shared universe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. the greenman

Of those I could see Hammer, Cooper, and Gyllenhaal. If Cruise gets it, he'll take over the project. Which seems the way things are heading over there at WB. Make a WB CBM and become an Executive producer on a solo project (Affleck on JL/The Batman, Margot Robie on Harley Quinn/Gotham Sirens, Will Smith on Deadshot, Dwayne Johnson on Shazam/Black Adam). So the market is ripe for saavy actors at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Reynolds coming back is definitely not happening, and Cruise seems like a longshot, but I could live with some of the other choices ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I can think of a few others but it all depends how they plan to mess Hal up reinvent Hal in this canon. I can see Oliver Hudson and Josh Duhamel, too. I can see Hammer or Marsden. I've heard some joke about Matt Damon. But it sounds like they might cast young for Hal and older for John?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

If this movie happens, I predict a cameo of the character Guy Gardner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

It's either Ryan Reynolds or James Marsden for me as Hal Jordan in the DCEU.

• Like Like x 1
    #80 dmxx116, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017