1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Green Lantern (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ktk

ktk Member

Certainly not great, and the animation failed to impress through most of it, but I'll still give it a shot. Hal's "attitude" may turn out to be the star of the show. (Or it may get old real fast. We'll see.)

2. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

I was planning on skipping this one based off the first preview, but now actually seeing and hearing this preview, I'll give it a try. I still think it looks ugly, but it's not as bad as I thought. Kilowog looks sloppy though. The voice acting is really good though.

3. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, the AOL article listed Michael Clarke Duncan and Richard Green, along with Robert Englund and Josh Keaton, just like that TVShowsonDVD one. Well, anyway, cool preview. Definitely the best one so far. Interesting version of Oa and a female Guardian.

5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

They probably used tvsod.com and imdb as a source, and thanks to b.t. we know it's mularky.

6. Yami Ash

Yami Ash Member

7. ktk

ktk Member

Wasn't there a Green Lantern animated series panel that was supposed to be going on out in San Diego right now?

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Here's a recap from IGN: http://tv.ign.com/articles/118/1183772p1.html

So the new Red Lantern was made for the show, Razor.

Hal's ship's AI system is named Aya, too? Hmm...

Here's a big one:
    Also looks like Dex-Starr and Larfleeze are coming.

#488 Yojimbo, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
  9. Yami Ash

Yami Ash Member

Clearly the ship's AI becomes a lantern.

10. ktk

ktk Member

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, takes the classic sci-fi element of the ship as a member of the cast to another level.

Welcome. I was surprised one was up so soon. Usually it takes a day's time give or take.

12. Robert McSantos

I don't even care if the show sucks now. That makes it all worth it for me. :D

13. spongebob673473

spongebob673473 New Member

Wikipedia says This show preimere 4 November 2011 ?

This rigth ?

14. PaperBritt

PaperBritt Member

Well, Cartoon Network posted 6 minutes of footage on on their Youtube account.
    Pros:
    The visuals are looking better than they did in the trailers

The relationship between Hal and Kilowog looks promising

I like the idea of the AI spaceship

Although his character design isn't that good, Atrocitus has a really good voice and presence. He feels like a threat.

A pretty good action scene, with the red lanterns (well, one of them) actually using the plasma blood!

Cons:
    Hals interactions with Aia are....creepy. I'm sorry, I don't care if he's a pilot or not, there is no need to have him flirting with a spaceships AI.

The new red lantern Razor, I hate him automatically. Do we need a whiny emo crybaby red lantern, who actually looks like he's wearing whiny emo crybaby makeup eye shadow? I thought the whole point of the red lantern rings was to recruit people who felt rage at great loss, what "enraged" him? His parents didn't let him go to a Greenday concert? He lost his job at Hot Topic?

Hopefully these things won't be big issues with the series.

#494 PaperBritt, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2011
  15. Yami Ash

Yami Ash Member

You know, if there's one group of fictional people that should never include anyone who is the slightest bit conflicted, it's the Red Lanterns. Heck, most of them are so filled wth rage that they can't even talk in the comics.

16. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter O Frabjous Day!

Yeah, but let's be fair about this. First of all, kids will be watching this show, so we unfortunately can't give them the Red Lanterns from the comics. One of the reasons they can't talk in the comics is because of the ACIDIC BLOOD constantly spewing from their mouths. Obviously, this isn't the case for all of the Red Lanterns, but for most of them it is. Plus, according to the trailer, they still kind of have that option.

And, to be fair, there actually are conflicted Red Lanterns in the comics. Guy Gardner was a Red Lantern twice, and both times he was conflicted. Even Atrocitus, dare I say, isn't completely filled with rage. According to Star Sapphire, there's a VERY SMALL spark of love in there too. And Razor looks like he's new to the Corps, so I'll forgive the wavering opinions.

Note: I'm not saying he isn't a whiny wuss-bag, but I'll still give him a chance.

Anyway: the animation here is a VAST improvement over everything else we've seen. It really is Bruce Timm in CGI. It's kind of refreshing. The human-like characters, like Hal Jordan and Razor look fine, and actually look pretty good. Kilowog and Salaak, however...I REALLY hate Salaak's look, personally, and I don't like Kilowog's pointed jaw parts up front, but I hate to admit, it's better looking than the JL and JLU Kilowog, so I'll live with it. Atrocitus isn't too bad, although I miss the popped collar from the comics. And even Zillius Zox looks pretty good. That leaves the Guardians. Who look like crap. I'm sorry, but they do. Yeah, they look more alien, but WAY too much so. Salaak and the Guardians are the two designs I want changed. Otherwise, I'll live.

The voice acting is great, and the casting is almost perfect. Surprisingly, I really like Keaton's Hal Jordan. And, unlike Rino Romano's Batman, I can't hear Spider-Man every time he speaks. Kevin Michael Richardson is EVERYWHERE nowadays, and I thought I'd be tired of his voice, but for some reason, I never do, and it really fits here as Kilowog. The Guardians sound good, and Zilius is fine too, I guess. I never had a set voice in mind for most of the Red Lanterns, so I can't judge them very well. And Atrocitus sounds AWESOME. Jonathan Adams makes every villain he voices AWESOME. First Kang the Conqueror, now Atrocitus! THANK YOU, JONATHAN ADAMS! Razor's OK too, I guess.

The animation has VASTLY improved, and looks a lot better than I thought it would. The way they express emotion via face and body is pretty good, and it improves a lot of the problems I had with designs. The flight animations are pretty good too, actually. The fight scene at the end was especially good.

Sorry for the ramble, but I'm actually really excited to see this show. I CAN'T WAIT!!!! And I'm calling this early: whiny wuss-face Razor is going to leave the Red Lanterns, or be kicked out. "For the greater good, AND VENGEANCE." Please. Red Lanterns don't give a crap about the greater good. They just want to punch you in the face. And Atrocitus and Zox show that desire. Atrocitus says the whole "We save millions later" thing just to shut Razor up.

I can't wait for this show.

17. Yami Ash

Yami Ash Member

I'm not asking for acidic blood, and it's really the "standing around" part rather than the talking that I dislike. It was way too calm for people whose entire scheme is based on rage.

I haven't read past Blackest Night, but my impression of Atrocitus is that he has no moments of self doubt. He'll calm down a little, have a discussion, but he keeps that rage motivating him to stay on his path throughout it all.

And the Red Lantern Guy Gardner I remember was violently lashing out at anybody, friend or foe.

18. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

They showed a clip on CN during Super Hero Squad with Razor, I think, and another Red Lantern chasing Hal Jordan after he ran out of ring power. He ends up charging up by saying the oath very quickly and putting his ring into the spaceship.

EDIT: It's also at the end of that youtube video posted earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOAirIjnvIs

#498 Dreyfus, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2011
  19. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

The show looks fun and I can't wait for it. though I kinda dislike what we have been shown in regards to the design's of Kilowog, and The Guardians. I also think the show shouldn't just focus on Hal Jordan (he's cool, but he is the most boring GL IMO) it should focus on John Stewart, Kyle Raynor, Guy Gardner I suppose, and another Idea I think would be cool, would be to have episodes just about other alien GLs like Kiliwog, Tomar Re, and Abin Sur. It should also maybe have a few easter eggs like having it mention JL/JLU characters, or battles from JL/JLU, or just some sort of nod to fans that the DCAU lives on, but again this is all just my opinion, :)

D.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The footage looks really great. That was neat idea to have a power battery as the energy source of the ship's engine.

Took some screengrabs:

Nope, no official date was announced yet. If there's no reference to back it up, it's usually false.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.