1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Green Lantern (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Sweet! Is that Atrocitus on the right? Also nice to see the DC Nation logo. BTW, where'd you find the image?

EDIT: Nope. Doesn't match with Atrocitus from NYCC 2010. After a quick search...looks closest to James Kim if that is a Red Lantern at all on the bag.

That's right. Forgot about that one. I'm okay with not seeing the pilot until March 2012, cutting out the 4 month wait, especially if that means we get one more Friday of new episodes of YJ and TBATB.

2. TeddyBear

TeddyBear Member

I've slowly begun to appreciate Batman The Brave and the Bold but Young Justice is my sweetheart as I grew up watching Teen Titans and loving it on Cartoon Network. I have no real negative rubbish to put off on Green Lantern The Animated Series. I didn't like the 3D visuals but I'm sure it will grow on me. I think it's the story and the ability to create a program that draws the view in more than visuals in any case.

@Aaron, I haven't seen Green Lantern yet but I thought that the Thor movie was epic and I've watched it at lest 3 to 4 times now and I'm looking forward to it's release on DVD.

3. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

I found the bag picture here. I thought I was downloading the hi-res version, but it turns out you could see it just as well by right-clicking on the thumbnail.

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Thanks, yeah I just saw it on Robot 6/CBR, too. I got to say, the new character looks slick. Wish we knew who it was.

5. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Member

What a difference a picture can make;). Someone please tell thats how Hal is going to look in the show and its not just for the purposes of the promo bag. He looks so much better than the bulky, very disproportionate model shown in the teaser. The legs are still a little thin but i'll still take it.

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

To me the Beast Wars comparisons are invalid because that show was made in the mid 90's and premiered 15 years ago. That is a decade and a half. A show made in 2010/2011 should look a lot better.

Also Timm was saying Fall 2011 debut for this show at the All-Star Superman premiere.

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, here's a 'timeline' of the start date talk

• May 27, 2010: "Scheduled to premiere during the 2011/2012 television season" WF
    • May 28, 2010: "Set for November 2011" WF
    • October 10, 2010: "A preview will come out in late 2011 and the series will officially start in Spring 2012" io9
    • February 14/17, 2011: "Fall 2011 debut" Paley Center
    • June 20, 2011: "Green Lantern is coming to Cartoon Network in 2011!" Bottom line on CN's GL:TAS website
    • June 23, 2011: "Don’t miss out, or you’ll be waiting ’til 2012" WF on SDCC panel
    So we have overwhelming certainty the pilot will air on Thanksgiving 2011 like YJ in 2010, then all of sudden the SDCC panel synopsis throws a curve-ball. I'm willing to think whoever wrote that panel summary made a simple mistake.

8. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

9. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

10. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

That's not what I mean...

That's not what I meant by that.
    Not as a direct comparison of visuals.
    I meant that Beast Wars was a show with lousy visuals, but great story.
    This could very well be the same.
    i.e. you're not impressed by the lackluster visuals, but the story could be very well done.
    And just like Beast Wars, I'm certain both will get better as the show progresses.
    That's all I was trying to say.

11. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Interview is up with Josh Keaton.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JakeLester/news/?a=41856

12. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

So is it true that Saint Walker is going to appear in the series at some point?

Because if he does, I sure hope they don't neuter his character. =V

13. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

According to Yojimbo and YouKnowWho.com, Yes

14. Dayspring

Dayspring Active Member

I friggin' love this image. It gives me much more faith in the visuals. Maybe the trailer was the worst of the worst. I remember the comic-con footage of Hal and Killowog vs Manhunters looking much, much more like this bag does.

As for the Red Lantern, he looks kind of robotic like the new GL made just for this series is. This is total speculation, but I bet she gets introduced to the series because she needs help against this guy, who is the Red Lantern for her sector (taken from the same planet as her).

Random further speculation: they are Katma/Sinestro parallels. He'll be a renegade GL who got kicked out of the Corps for whatever reason, only instead of going Sin's route, he just gets really, really angry for being "abandoned by the Corps." The result is that a Red ring chooses him because of this anger.

OR: This guy always dreamed of being a GL. Only instead of him, the ring chose her. He gets really angry, so the Red ring chooses him.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for posting it. Though with some typos in it, I did like that Keaton reiterated this: "They are really trying to explore the Green Lanterns and not try and be another Justice League or something like that. This is about the Lanterns."

It was reported through a news website but not confirmed by WBA, yet. However, some of the series synopsis' released by WBA seem to hint at the Blue Lantern Corps, imo.

Link: WF Article 3/24/11

Good idea. Never considered that one to have a possible link to Aya.

16. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

What's there to neuter? Saint Walker isn't a crazy badass or anything. He's super chill and believes in hope.

17. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

DC Direct will be releasing a tie-in maquette to Green Lantern: The Animated Series, with details available at The World's Finest.

18. jondoe297

jondoe297 Member

19. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

The animation still looks like a generic PS2 cut screen. The FMVs in Batman Vengeance look better than that. Kilowag sadly looks like a mess of shapes.

Writing appears to be witty, and Keaton still has it. I'll be giving this a shot when it debuts.

20. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought it looked decent enough, not great but not as bad as I thought after that low quality vid and screenshots. The animation seems nice enough in parts( like when Hal arrived at Oa )and not great at other parts( when he was flying ) but overall it looked nice. The enviroments look a little bland but at least there's some lighting in that shot that made it look a bit nicer, again based on those screenshots I was wondering if there was anything other than a basic light being used..luckily that wasn't the case. VO was good, Josh does sound like a respectable Hal and not anything like his Spider Man voice. He sounds more like a nicer Ocelot:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.