1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Green Lantern (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Green Lantern: The Animated Series - Protecting the universe starting Fall 2011!

[​IMG]
    Confirmation for an upcoming animated series based on the DC Comics "Green Lantern" property was released on May 27th, 2010. Click here for more. Continue below for the official series description, courtesy of The World's Finest:

Based upon the DC Comics super hero, Green Lantern: The Animated Series is an all-new CG animated action series from Warner Bros Animation and overseen by world-renowned producer, artist and animator Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League, Teen Titans, Batman Beyond, DC Universe Original Animated Movies).

As Earth’s Green Lantern, Hal Jordan is used to being in dangerous situations — but he’s never faced anything like this! Set at the farthest reaches of deep space, Green Lantern: The Animated Series finds Hal on the Guardian Frontier, where he must face down an invasion from by the Red Lantern Corps. Powered by pure rage, the evil Red Lanterns have sworn to destroy the Green Lantern Corps and everything they stand for. Dispatched with his friend and former drill sergeant — the gruff, hulking alien Kilowog — on the experimental spacecraft The Interceptor, Hal is soon joined by an all-new group of heroes on a mission to protect Guardian Space — and the Green Lantern Corps itself!

Stay tuned for further updates.

2. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Cartoon Net planning 'Green Latern' series

Sounds like a great way to replace Batman: TB&TB after it's over.

Oh and guys, you can officially go nuts now that the series is indeed coming...just after the movie's released.

3. Callonme

Callonme Member

Awesome! Eventful day indeed.

I'm interested in the CGi rumor we heard several months ago. I also wonder if this might mean the end of Brave and the Bold. I would hope WB would allow it to continue as cartoon support for Batman 3.

#3 Callonme, May 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010
  4. chdr

chdr Active Member

Yes! Green Lantern way overdue for his own show, especially after "First Flight". Hopefully the show focuses on the entire GL Corps and not just the one human Green Lantern.

It's also good to see a new DC series not featuring Superman or Batman, for once.

5. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

i agree.
    they need to flesh out the more obscure characters.
    give'em a lil limelight

6. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

I hope Bruce Timm is the main producer on this project.

7. jondoe297

jondoe297 Member

He is the producer as was rumored here by yojimbo if im not mistaken. CGI ala star wars clone wars. Hal Jordan as the main GL w/ the GL Corps.

8. Deadman

Deadman Active Member

looking forward to this. i wonder what approach they will take. will it only be focused on one GL, and if so who? or will it be an entire corps thing?

9. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

It'll probably be about teen Hal Jordan who has to to battle with jock Sinestro as both try to get the attention of a young Ms. Ferris. In CG. :D

10. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

Well the original rumor said that it was Hal Jordan in space.

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yup and yup.

All I have documented unconfirmed rumors/news so far is:
    January 24, 2010: A new series called Green Lantern Corps is in development. It is in CG, features Hal Jordan, helmed by Bruce Timm, and is slated for Fourth Quarter 2011. AFI Thread Page 2 and 4
    March 13, 2010: Geoff Johns says there maybe a Green Lantern animated series, it has a good chance. CBR ECCC Article
    March 19, 2010: The Green Lantern Corps series might have a 26 episode order from Cartoon Network but is unconfirmed. WF Article

And there is also the 50/50 chance this is the series that Michael Jelenic is working on in addition to Batman: The Brave and The Bold. 50/50 because it could also be Young Justice.

But given how the series is officially called Green Lantern: The Animated Series, we're bound to get more 'clarifications.'

But this is great news! I remember back in the last days of Superman: The Animated Series, I wondered if there would be a GL series. Patience is a virtue. :cool:

#11 Yojimbo, May 27, 2010
  12. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

I'll give it a chance.
    I mean, I'm not the biggest Green Lantern fan, but maybe I'll like it.

13. Collie

Collie Total Drama Llama

I have to ask, was that pun intentional?

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that Cartoon Network would get this rumored GL series after they announced that they had a Young Justice series in the works. While I'm not the biggest GL fan myself, I am interested in how they'll handle the series. I wouldn't mind an equal focus on one human GL like Hal Jordan and then the GL corp in general. I also agree that it is refreshing to see a series without Batman and Superman as the main characters. They're two of my favorite superheroes, but it's nice to give some of the less popular/less well known superheroes a chance to shine.

I wonder if they'll air it along with Young Justice at one point. That could lead to a really fun hour of superhero action. I'll definitely check out the premier of this series as well.

15. Lucho

Lucho 'Ja think I'm a cowboy?

Finally!!!

[​IMG]

This is what I hope to see, plus the eventual addition of the other Earth Lanterns.
    Although four males being chosen in a row from Earth (and from the same country too boot) is really pushing it. If they're going to build to an Earth centric team I hope they seriously consider adding a woman from Earth also, or as strange as it sounds maybe changing one of the established 4 Earth Lanterns to a woman for the cartoon.
    That the ring's second, third, and then a fourth time would ignore or couldn't find a single worthy candidate amongst the entire other half of the population of the planet, just seems pretty absurd. Not to mention straight up offensive.
    Not sure how the comic got away with that, but there's no reason the cartoon should follow suit since they are not bound to it's continuity.

#15 Lucho, May 27, 2010
  16. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

I would love to see that happen. Hopefully both will get the ratings to stay on air for a decent run. It's also interesting because some sites are reporting that the series will be scheduled for "the second year after the movie release", which would be 2013. I'm not sure if that's true or not. If it is that would make the premiere quite a while off.

17. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

Is Bruce Timm's involvement confirmed? As in, is it a fact and not just an internet rumor? If it was totally confirmed, i'd assume it would have been reported here...

Anyway, this is indeed great news!! And if B.T. is infact the head producer, and lets hope designer, then this is more than we could have hoped for :D !!!!!!

I truely wish that GL:TAS will be a Timm project threw and threw, and will be on a par with BTAS and STAS, in terms of quality, in terms of artistry, and in terms of not being dumbed down. And I too hope this doesnt turn out to be GL and Sinestro in high school or something...

As far as being CG, well, that worries me a bit. There are very few CGI tv shows that really pull it off, imo. There are some, but not many. Im not against CGI, but I am against crappy CGI.

Anyway, I can't wait. If its not a B.T. show, I'm still excited, because as everyone is saying, its high time we get a non Bat or Sups DC show, but if it is a Timm show, well, that would be about the greatest news us fans could get! Bring on the next evolution of Timm!!!! :) :) :D

#17 DerekPowers, May 27, 2010
  18. ryandcow

ryandcow Active Member

5 actually
    Hal Jordan
    Allan Scott
    Kyle Rayner
    John Stewart
    Guy Gardener

But yes it would be much better if they focused on the corps aspect over Hal. (I'm assuming it's Hal as JS had the last major role in a DC show, and Hal is the most popular)

19. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

Alright! I love Green Lantern and I loved the GL movie that CN aired a few months back so I welcome this animated series to the Cartoon Network family with open arms and a giant smile! :D

Now if only DC can come up with some more cool animated series to go along with Green Lantern and Brave and the Bold, hopefully someday The Flash and Superman will have cartoons on the network as well.

20. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

Wow, that could make for an awesome guest appearance/team-up.

Don't forget Young Justice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.