1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest Movie Villain Ever!!

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by SpideyFan914, May 15, 2011.

1. SpideyFan914

SpideyFan914 Greatest Poster Ever!

Well, if you didn't vote for Vader, I'd've kicked him out instead!! I mean, Joker's easily Top Five villains, but Bates is Top THREE!! So yeah, Vader's going down for kicking Joker out. 'Cause that's what REALLY happened....

2. Blankments

Blankments The Sparkle Rises!

Never saw Psycho, but Joker's number two to Darth Vader. I can't think of a villain besides Vader who deserves to win. (I know you're going to argue with me on this, so could you please use movies I've seen? Thank you. :p)

3. SpideyFan914

Well, I don't know what you've seen, but how about Sidious? I mean, Vader's really just an overblown henchman, and Sidious is the true main villain of the series. And he's totally awesome.

Vader's a good villain, but I just take preference to guys who are really EVIL, guys who take charge of the situations, who feel unstoppable. Yeah, Vader's supposed to be the most powerful Sith/Jedi/whatever, but he still takes orders from an old man with better monologues.

Of those who have already passed onto Round Six.... I like all of them better than Vader. Chigurh is more threatening, Dracula is the ultimate villain, Bill the Butcher is (as someone else put pretty well) a perfect mix of realism and exaggeration, Lecter is plain creepy, and Norman Bates is seriously awesome. You should see Psycho, even though we've technically spoiled it for you. It is among THE greatest films of all time. And besides, is vengeance really worth anything is you don't know who you're taking it on? ;)

(PS: Everyone here has seen The Dark Knight. Maybe half of us or so have seen Psycho. Norman Bates still beat The Joker. Thus, we have officially voted him the better villain. Thus, if Bates loses now, that would be like saying that the Joker lost to a loser. However, if Bates makes the finals, that would be saying that Joker may have been finals material in a different match. Understand the logic?)

4. jph139

jph139 Immortal

1. Alex DeLarge ~ Of course, obvious first.
    2. Baron Frankenstein ~ Remember, this is the HAMMER version, not the Universal. Much more villainous. I mean, he's a serial killing, grave robbing rapist!
    3. Bateman ~ Though I'd like to see him move on too. Either way.
    4. Saruman ~ Only vaguely remember.

5. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

1. Saruman
    2. Frankenstein
    3. Alex DeLarge
    4. Patrick Bateman

6. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

1. Baron Victor Frankenstein- This Halloween season, you guys really need to watch the Hammer Frankenstein films. They are not just classic, but the performances are brilliant. Cushing's Frankenstein is not borderline, he is a maniac in the worse worse way. If your only vision of Frankenstein is the Universal Clive Frankenstein or worse off Wilder's comedic Frankensteen, you guys are doing yourself a disfavor. I can tell you that with the exception of Saruman, Cushing's Frankenstein pretty much did everything these other guys did in some form or another. Seriously.
    2. Alex DeLarge- Punk unrepentant kid in a dismal future.
    3. Saruman- Feel bad to put him here, but honestly I didn't expect him to get this far anyway.
    4. Patrick Bateman- He's no Lecter or Chigurh.

7. cradleman

cradleman Member

so just to be clear, this frankenstein is actually from Curse of Frankenstein and its sequels and not the original universal Frankenstein? I didn't realize he was that different from the original version. well, i will find out soon enough, i have Curse on my DVR.

8. the greenman

Yeah, he appears in six films starting with Curse which is a loose remake of the original film. Then he returns in the following:

The Revenge of Frankenstein
    The Evil of Frankenstein (kinda hard to find)
    Frankenstein Created Woman
    Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
    Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell

Horror of Frankenstein is a remake of "Curse" and does not star Cushing at all, but supposedly meant to be a black comedy, I would warn you to skip it.

#1088 the greenman, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011
  9. JustLeagExpansio

1. Bateman-Spidey owes me one now.
    2. DeLarge-Spidey owes me one now.
    3. Baron Victor Frankenstein
    4. Saruman.

Even though Spidey was mainly responsible for Allo and Genghis Rex's downfall in Alien,I have controlled by emotions this long and will show self restrai-YOU KILLED DINOSAUCERS YOU ##$%(@%$@(%@

Just kidding.

10. SpideyFan914

Hm.... Grr, if only you'd put Frankenstein in last!
    1. Alex DeLarge (Absolutely awesome. Easy Top Four out of the remaining.)
    2. Patrick Bateman (Seriously should move on as well. This sucks....)
    3. Saruman (Way too far.)
    4. Frankenstein (Threat! If only I could kill him....)

Baron Victor Frankenstein- 11
    Saruman- 9
    Patrick Bateman- 10
    Alex DeLarge- 12

END ROUND FIVE!!

11. SpideyFan914

"You needn't take it any further, sir. You've proved to me that all this ultraviolence and killing is wrong, wrong, and terribly wrong. I've learned me lesson, sir. I've seen now what I've never seen before. I'm cured! Praise god!" -Alex DeLarge, A Clockwork Orange (1971)

ROUND SIX

12. SpideyFan914

ROUND SIX, MATCH ONE

Contestants are....

[​IMG]
    Baron Victor Frankenstein (Frankenstein)

[​IMG]
    Bill "The Butcher" Cutting (Gangs of New York)

[​IMG]
    Alex DeLarge (A Clockwork Orange)

[​IMG]
    Dracula (Dracula)

Again, that's:

Baron Victor Frankenstein
    Bill "The Butcher" Cutting
    Alex DeLarge
    Dracula

My vote:
    1. Dracula (My favorite to win!! If Count Dracula himself is not the greatest, most iconic villain of all time, I don't know who is. So chock full of mythology and archetypes, he is, plain and simple, the personification of evil. You're not seriously going to tell me that the personification of evil doesn't deserve to win, are you?)
    2. Alex DeLarge (An insane murderer/rapist/gang leader/general chaos maker. He does everything the Joker does, and all at the age of 14. But he also loves classical music - seriously, how awesome is that??)
    3. Bill the Butcher (Arrgh!! He's so awesome and gleefully insane - I'd love for him to move on too, but alas, the others here are simply better and more classic. Still, Day-Lewis was brilliant in this role, and he's easily one of the most interesting villains I've seen on the screen.)
    4. Frankenstein (In this match? Hell no!! Okay, so I looked this up. Greenman nominated him, under the flag of "Frankenstein films". Now seriously, that can mean anything, and since the Frankenstein films I've seen are generally separate stories, I simply put him down under "Frankenstein". And he's still down under Frankenstein, as he has been the entire contest thus so far. If the films you're talking about are really meant as a separate universe, then, well, you've been voting for the wrong guy and this should've been clarified long ago. As it is now, he's simply not that villainous, especially in this match!)

13. JustLeagExpansio

1. Dracula
    2. Alex De Large
    3. Bill the Butcher Cutting
    4. Frankenstein.

14. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Bill "The Butcher" Cutting
    Dracula
    Alex DeLarge
    Baron Victor Frankenstein

15. cradleman

cradleman Member

1. Bill: uh, duh. he's just so damn cool.
    2. Dracula: classic
    3. Frankenstein: this version is less classic than i had previously assumed
    4. Alex: no farther!

16. Blankments

Blankments The Sparkle Rises!

I'd argue, but I have a headache. However, Vader is the only one left in this competition who I care about, so yeah...

17. jph139

jph139 Immortal

The character nominated is "Baron Victor Frankenstein." He's Henry Frankenstein in the Universal films and is never referred to as Baron in anything but the Hammer films. If he was supposed to be a more general character he should have been nominated with a more general name...

...but Peter Cushing is the best Frankenstein of all time, so he's definitely the one that should be in the competition!
    1. Dracula ~ Bela Lugosi singlehandedly created an icon; the stare, the accent, the costume. A single line, a single trope from this movie evokes entire mythologies... that is a great villain.
    2. Alex DeLarge ~ He treads the line between sympathetic and horrific, which is something I very much enjoy.
    3. Bill the Butcher ~ Same with him! Though he's more... of a nutjob, I suppose?
    4. Frankenstein‚Äč ~ Though fantastic, I agree, he's definitely not up to snuff here.

18. SpideyFan914

Fair enough. I admit I never caught his first name.... Would've been nice to have been corrected sooner though - I'd never have voted for him if I'd known. :p

19. the greenman

1. Baron Victor Frankenstein- Pity vote. I voted him in as the Hammer Frankenstein. However, I am confused why Superman was both Reeve and Routh. I am still confused about if we all really voted for particular "characters" or just "characters in one film". We had two Jokers and two Batmans, and I don't think it was successful. I know this is not a character contest, but you have to admit that it did come into play in our thinking alot. It seemed like at some point it didn't matter. We were seeing Obi Wan as both McGregor and Guiness. I don't know, water under the bridge.
    2. Bill the Butcher- A great villain. Made it this far deservedly so.
    3. Alex DeLarge- A crazy kid indeed. However, would've been better had he died.
    4. Dracula- Not a big fan, iconic or not.

20. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

1. Dracula
    2. Baron Victor Frankenstein
    3. Alex DeLarge
    4. The Butcher