1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest Filmmaker Ever!

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by SpideyFan914, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpideyFan914

SpideyFan914 Greatest Poster Ever!

"I'll tell you a secret. The last act makes a film. Wow them in the end, and you got a hit. You can have flaws, problems, but wow them in the end, and you've got a hit. Find an ending, but don't cheat, and don't you dare bring in a deus ex machina. Your characters must change, and the change must come from them. Do that, and you'll be fine." -Adaptation. (2002)

FINALS!!!!!!!!

That's right! We've went through thick and thin, and widdled it down to the best of the best (minus Chaplin)! And now, we've got our final four, and it's time to determine, out of these great filmmakers, who truly is THE GREATEST FILMMAKER EVER!!!!

For those new to SpideyFan914-hosted Greatest ____ Ever threads, the Finals work a bit differently than the rest of the competition, as we segue into one-on-one matches. Here's the rundown:

SEMIFINALS: Two random one-on-one matches, run simultaneously. Winners go to the Championship Match, losers to the Bronze Match.
    BRONZE MATCH: Losers of the Semifinals go against each other to determine 3rd and 4th place.
    CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Winners of the Semifinals go against each other to determine 1st and 2nd place.

Here are our finalists:

STEVEN SPIELBERG
    MEL BROOKS
    BILLY WILDER
    ALFRED HITCHCOCK

In but a moment, I will post the Semifinal matches, and this game will arrive at the beginning of the end!

"I know how to finish the script now. It ends with Kaufman driving home after his lunch with Amelia, thinking he knows how to finish the script." -Adaptation. (2002)

2. SpideyFan914

SEMIFINALS, MATCH A

[​IMG]
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000229/
    Steven Spielberg VS. Mel Brooks
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000316/
    [​IMG]

SEMIFINALS, MATCH B

[​IMG]
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000697/
    Billy Wilder VS. Alfred Hitchcock
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000033/
    [​IMG]

Hm.... Something is eerie in the state of ToonZone when I agree with cradleman, but I'll have to vote for Spielberg and Hitchcock. Although, I must say, it really quite sucks when the Gods of Cinema verse each other a match too early - Wilder and Hitchcock should have been the champions!

3. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Brooks and Hitchcock, though I doubt Mel will be bringing home the bacon. I don't mind, though, 'cause Spielberg is probably my favorite to win at this point... all for Indiana, boys.

4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Same here.

Speilberg & Hitch

5. cradleman

cradleman Member

this.

6. JasonFox

JasonFox The Maniacal Movie Critic

this.

7. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

I'm going with Mel Brooks and Billy Wilder :anime:

8. Superpan

Superpan Member

Mel Brooks & Billy Wilder.....yeah, I like being unique. Also, they both had a great sense of humor which I feel is missing from most of Hitchcock and More pervasive than in Spielberg's....not that I'm criticizing Spielberg.

#1068 Superpan, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
  9. Frostbite200

Frostbite200 New Member

This.

10. SpideyFan914

Wait. Mel Brooks isn't pervasive? What movies have you been watching? ;)

11. Blankments

Blankments The Sparkle Rises!

I vote for Steven Spielberg, being the only person left I truly know, and Billy Wilder, just because I think it'd be easier for Spielberg to beat him.:evil:

12. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator

I love both Mel Brooks and Billy Wilder. I'm really tempted to vote for both of them. But if you really get right down to it, this is Greatest Filmmaker Ever. Steven Spielberg & Alfred Hitchcock may just be the two greatest filmmakers of all time. And they deserve to be the final 2. So I vote for them.

13. Superpan

Superpan Member

Wait, I meant to say Spielberg wasn't as pervasive as the other two....TO THE EDITING BUTTON!

14. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

Speilberg and Hitchcock.

15. SpideyFan914

Steven Spielberg- 7
    Mel Brooks- 4

Billy Wilder- 4
    Alfred Hitchcock- 7

I'll put up the Third Place Match later tonight.

16. SpideyFan914

TRACKING THE SUCCESS OF MEL BROOKS, an explanatory essay by SpideyFan914

In light of recent events, some of you may be asking yourselves a pressing question: How in the world did Mel Brooks make it this far??

Though beloved by all and indeed the idol of Jewish fanboys, Mel Brooks has never quite been compared with the likes of Spielberg, Hitchcock, and Wilder.... until today. After overcoming countless battles and just barely squeezing by through many rounds, the famed comedian has at last overcome two out of cradleman's Top Five filmmakers, and made our ToonZone finals!

It hasn't always been easy for him, though. In Round One, Mel Brooks found himself pitted against acclaimed directors Sam Raimi, J. J. Abrams, and Clint Eastwood. Though it was a close match between three of these contestants, one man managed to dominate the competition - and it wasn't Mel Brooks! Sam Raimi, in fact, beat the future finalist my a margin of 8 points! Meanwhile, Brooks himself just barely slipped, beating both of the other two by merely a few points.

The score:
    MEL BROOKS- 14
    Sam Raimi- 22
    J. J. Abrams- 11
    Clint Eastwood- 13

It seemed from this start that our apparent favorite would receive a fair amount of support, but probably would not make it past Round Three. After all, Sam Raimi, the Spider-Man director who pwned Mel Brooks, lost in the next round. Though it was a close match, Raimi lost to both Frank Capra and Lee Unkrich, who tied at 17 compared to Raimi's 15.

Meanwhile, our hero found himself in a rather easy match, against the Gojira director Ishiro Honda who has a small cult following around here, recently passed Bonnie and Clyde director Arthur Penn whose masterpieces remain unwatched by a portion of our population, and Sixth Sense director M. Night Shyamalan who "hasn't done anything since." Naturally, Brooks won in a landslide, but seeing Raimi lose the next day led many to believe that the comedian would fall the moment he found himself in a more difficult match.

The score:
    MEL BROOKS- 25
    M. Night Shyamalan- 7
    Arthur Penn- 5
    Ishiro Honda- 18

In the next round, Brooks found himself in a more difficult match. He faced Charlie Chaplin, the legendary icon of the silent era, Robert Zemeckis, fan-favorite creator of such legends as Back to the Future and Forrest Gump, and Billy Wilder, the writer-director who would later join our hero in the finals.

To emphasize the difficulty here: Chaplin had previously defeated both legendary and popular directors including Woody Allen, Roman Polanski, Martin Campbell, and Wes Craven. Robert Zemeckis made one of only two sweeps all competition in Round One, and then when to defeat two more legends in Round Two with James Cameron and The Coen Brothers, even bypassing second place Brad Bird. Billy Wilder had managed to defeat the popular Guillermo del Toro in Round One, and in Round Two made a landslide victory over three more favorites, Sergio "Dollars Trilogy" Leone, Frank "Shawshank Redmption" Darabont, and Jon "Iron Man" Favreau.

The score:
    MEL BROOKS- 18
    Charlie Chaplin- 11
    Robert Zemeckis- 14
    Billy Wilder- 17

It was called a fluke, as the forum looked on in shock - Mel Brooks had beaten three of the most popular directors we had! Meanwhile, Lee Unkrich (otherwise known as "the man who beat the man who trumped Mel Brooks) lost to Spike Jonze and Walt Disney.

Both Spike Jonze and Walt Disney fell from their pedestals in the next round. Disney to Steven Spielberg and Akira Kurosawa, and Jonze to Billy Wilder and Alfred Hitchcock. Both came in last place in their respective rounds, further falling below Stanley Kubrick and Fritz Lang, respectively.

Mel Brooks, on the other hand, found himself in a slightly easier match than in Round Three. Still, having already passed the point where he was expected to fall, it was difficult for many to conceive how Brooks could win. His competition: Brad "The Incredibles" Bird, Charlie "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" Kaufman, and Sergio "Once Upon a Time in the West" Leone.

Really, when one thinks about it, previous votes would show that Brooks had the upper hand here. Bird had previously fallen just below Robert Zemeckis, and Leone had previously been topple-trumped by Billy Wilder, both of whom Brooks had scored higher than just one Round ago. Kaufman, meanwhile, though possessor of a small following on the board, had just barely slipped through Round Three and was already building some resentment. And yet, it still came as a shock when the results came in.

The score:
    MEL BROOKS- 19
    Brad Bird- 16
    Charlie Kaufman- 10
    Sergio Leone- 15

This had gone too far for some. A few posters were now raving for Brooks' head, complaining that he'd made the top eight, otherwise an elite group of filmmakers. In Round Five, Mel Brooks found himself facing Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorcese, and Christopher Nolan. He didn't stand a chance.

There was no doubt in anyone's mind that Spielberg would move on. He is, after all, Steven Spielberg, and had made first place in every single previous round, almost entirely landslides. He'd even beaten Walt Disney, who you may recall as the man who defeated Lee Unkrich. Along with Frank Capra, Unkrich had beaten Sam Raimi after Raimi supposedly surpassed Mel Brooks. Meanwhile, Capra went through only to Round Four. And the directors he lost to were none other than Martin Scorcese and Christopher Nolan - Brooks new competition.

So to make this perfectly clear, if Mel Brooks is to make it to the finals, he must defeat the two men who obliterated the man who beat the man who humiliated our hero. It is as though there is some sort of cycle of revenge here. After all, if the comedian couldn't beat Raimi, what chance would he have against Capra who defeated Rami? And if he can not beat Capra, what chance does he have now against Martin Scorcese and Christopher Nolan - legends who have already wiped Capra off the map just one round ago?

And yet....

The score:
    MEL BROOKS- 13
    Martin Scorcese- 11
    Christopher Nolan- 11
    Steven Spielberg- 24

How did this happen? Perhaps we will never truly know. There was not that much of a change in voters - indeed, nearly every last one of Mel Brooks' matches involved precisely 10 votes (the exception being Round Two, where one vote would not have made a difference anyway). However, I believe it can be said that the man has marked his revenge. Through some strange, indirect, cyclical process, our hero has at last defeated Sam Raimi once and for all.

17. SpideyFan914

What, no applause? I worked hard on that! I even did - gasp - RESEARCH!!

Okay fine, I'll update....

18. SpideyFan914

THIRD PLACE MATCH

"Mr. Marceau, how would you like to appear in the first silent movie made in nearly fifty years?" -Silent Movie, 1976

[​IMG]
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000316/
    Mel Brooks VS. Billy Wilder
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000697/
    [​IMG]

"Audiences don't know somebody sits down and writes a picture; they think the actors make it up as they go along." -Sunset Blvd., 1950

I'm gonna vote for Wilder, 'cause as great as that essay was, Wilder is seriously a god.

19. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator

Loved the Mel Brooks analysis Spideyfan. ;) And I'm voting for him here. I love Wilder too, but Mel is the greatest comedy creator of all time, as I've said before. His movies were never mindless, but always clever. And that made them higher quality than most other comedies. He wasn't quite great enough to beat the Top 2 in the competition, but I'd love to see him get 3rd.

20. Superpan

Superpan Member

Well not to pop your balloon, but I believe Disney barely edged out Kubrick 15-14....so, yeah....Actually, I almost think you could write a bigger essay about the controversial Walt Disney who overcame a near death start to survive another 2 rounds until he finally brought down his much more popular adversary with him in his final match.

Anyhoo...

Billy Wilder. Sorry Mel, but Wilder's the only guy who I think got his deserved placement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.