1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest Episode Ever!

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by HEATXZ, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Superpan

Superpan Member

No. Let's look at the characters you mentioned.

Magneto: "MY OPPRESSED MINORITY!"
    Jackal: "GWEN!" "CLONES!"
    Two-Face: "CHANCE/ THE NUMBER 2!"
    Harry Osborn: "FATHER!" "Spider-Man/Peter!"
    Batman villians: " MY OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER!"
    Smythe: Sociopath/ FATHER!!!
    Richard Fisk: FATHER!!!
    Lady Deathstrike: FATHER!!!!
    Harley Quinn: MISTAH J!!!!!

What makes Mr. Freeze unique is instead of "NORA!!!", he's "Nora." He has been utterly destroyed by what's happened to him. He's a remorseless killing machine, the worst thing that could happen to a person. I'm not a fan of him, but he's far from generic.

Also, Arnold's Christmas was just "We have to save Leech...I mean we have to prove to Dil that Santa Claus is real...I mean we get Plutonium...I mean we have to prove to Virginia that Santa is real...I mean we have to reunite the family!"

Every Christmas special is about family, which annoys me for two reasons.

1. Her'es the REAL meaning of the main Winter holidays.

England 100 A.D.

"Ahhh, honey, it's cold outside! Quick, get a log to set on fire and all our tribesmen, so we don't freeze to death before we go on the hunt! BUT MAKE SURE THEY BRING FOOD!

I was going to make Hanukkah and Christmas jokes, but not sure if that would be a good idea. Their meaning is kind of obvious, so let's skip to...

1850 AD

"HONEY, WE'RE RICH! Let's spend as much money on our kids to make us love us even more without everyone else judging us!"

2. Why is it so important that a close friend or family isn't enjoying the holidays? That always seems to be the moral of these episodes, which raises a few questions. Would Arnold and the other characters not find their friend's daughtter if it wasn't the holidays? What about all the people who can't be with their families at ANY time during the year that the character doesn't know? They can just go do whatever they're doing? How come the brotherhood of man only extends to the character's social circle?

I'm not saying it was a bad episode nor that it was bad that the creators made it. I'm just saying it's not the breathless drama of the human race you're describing it as.

2. SpideyFan914

SpideyFan914 Greatest Poster Ever!

So.... he's a horror movie villain....? That COMPLETELY sounds like Michael Myers, or the crazy lady from Audition.

.... I don't get it. How does listing all the specials that AREN'T like Arnold's Christmas helping your argument?

If you think that's bad, look at the origin of Thanksgiving. ;)

Actually, that helps prove my point.

Firstly, Mr. Hyung is NOT part of the character's "social circle," as you put it. He's that really weird boarder who nobody likes. That's what him such a perfect choice - aside from being a foreigner in NYC, and aside from living in the boarding house, Mr. Hyung really is not an important Hey Arnold! character, and he really is not one of Arnold's favorite people. Remember the episode where they were collecting rent? Yeah, Mr. Hyung's the one who made Arnold and Gerald spend hours slaving over minute chores in his apartment. Afterward, Gerald exclaimed "ANYONE'S better than that Mr. Hyung guy!" (And then we met Oscar....)

Besides, it really isn't about he's sad at the holidays. He's sad all year round, but hides it and doesn't want to talk about it. It's just seeing everyone happy and with their families for this time of year reminds Mr. Hyung of what he is missing. When Arnold learned of Mai Hyung, all he wanted was to get them back together again. That's basically what Arnold is all about - he just wants to help people, and in this episode particularly, it seemed like an impossible task.

You don't have to frown away from touchy, "feel good" episodes. When done right, these episodes really can be very deep and can show you how the simple things in life truly make all the difference. It gives you hope that miracles really can happen. You don't need to overanalyze it - you just lose yourself to it, and you're sucked in by the emotion behind the episode. It's so simple, and yet so powerful.

Regardless, however, we're really just arguing in circles now. You're entitled to your opinion, even though I disagree with it.

3. Superpan

Superpan Member

YOU SIR ARE WRONG!

I read that Hey Arnold! took place in Seattle. Isn't that where the creator came from?

4. SpideyFan914

SpideyFan914 Greatest Poster Ever!

.... O..kaaaay....

To answer your random question, it takes place in New York City. And I have no idea where Craig Bartlett is from.

5. Six Year Man

Six Year Man Member

Hey Arnold takes place in a mix of several real-world cities, including the two afformentioned ones.

6. Superpan

Superpan Member

Ah, alright thanks, Six Year Man and Spideyfan. That was a joke and yet also a serious point.

7. Six Year Man

Six Year Man Member

Please, just call me Six. I hate my username.

8. Superpan

Superpan Member

But apparently not your sig.