1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest Comic Book Superhero Ever

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by SpideyFan914, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpideyFan914

SpideyFan914 Greatest Poster Ever!

Never heard of it. And to be frank, Spider-Man's also a hero trying to be an average man! It's his sense of responsibility which gets in the way! :p
    I do like Supes, I just don't like him that much! He's kinda bland, to be honest, and he's waaaaaay overpowered! I prefer my role models to be someone I can, y'know, model myself after.... Superman a bit too larger-than-life for that....
    I know he's the first superhero, and without him, none of this would have ever happened, but to be honest.... I don't really think that matters.... Comics and superheroes have evolved over the years - the first one isn't always the best one! Just look at the Batman movie franchise!

2. SpideyFan914

On a sidenote, Tomato Surprise just told me that he, Johnny, and comics_the_qb are working on a Justice League RPG, sorta like D&D w/ DC guys.

3. Comics_the_QB

Comics_the_QB My common sense is tingling

Ah well. I still think Bats is the best, but what can you do? But the top 4 is actually who I would've chosen for the top 4, except in a different order.

Thanks for a good game, Spideyfan.

4. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Because he's SUPERMAN. He gets things done. He's surpassed hero into icon. Spider-Man's a kid, Batman's brooding, the Flash is a jokester, Iron Man's a drunk... Superman's none of those things. Truth, Justice and the American Way! He's a man of action in a world of thinkers, a guy who's not afraid to punch down a door and save a hostage. He's the shining symbol of hope in a world of darkness. He's Jesus, Uncle Sam, and Hercules in a single package.

Sure, he's not flawed. He's overpowered. He's overexposed, easy to mock, and hard to adjust to. He can be boring. He can be badly written. But he was the first of his kind. Superman was knocking down bad guys when Stan Lee was still learning how to read.

You don't have to like him - and honestly, I'm not sure if I do, either. But you damn well respect him. He's the big blue boyscout and the father of the industry.

5. SpideyFan914

Yeah, I respect him. So? We're voting on the Greatest Superhero, not the most iconic! :p
    (PS: Spidey and Bats are almost just as iconic as Superman - in many ways, they're even moreso.)

Spider-Man: 100 (See my username. I am obsessed.)
    Batman: 9.2 (He's awesome. I don't collect, 'cause I'm more into the Marvel mythos (nothing against DC, I'm just intimidated by those large numbers and would rather work in the area that I started in), but maybe someday. Undoubtedly awesome and I do watch the serieses. :anime:)
    Green Lantern: 8.1 (Just so you know, I never give high ratings. For me, an 8 is really hard to get. So yeah, I love GL. Wouldn't have been my choice for third, but he's probably in my Top Twenty, so I don't mind....)
    Deadpool: 7.9 (Hilarious, and a great backstory. My one friend has offered to lend me some Deadpool comics, but I haven't accepted yet 'cause I still have those Moon Knight ones he lent me a year ago. :sweat:)
    Nightcrawler: 8.1 (To be honest, the religious angle is the biggest drawback for me. :p I love it when it's done right, though - WatXM pulled off Nightcrawler really nicely. I'm also a subscriber to the "demon on the outside, angel on the inside" thread.)
    Flash: 8.0 (He's really funny and he does have development - a little more would be nice, though, and then I'd give him higher. I probably just need more exposure, but yeah, Flash is cool.)
    Captain America: 5.7 (To be honest, I used to hate him. I used to consider nothing more than a government employ who would blindly follow orders and be considered a hero even if he wound up doing something that we would find controversial. Then I read Civil War and realized I was downright insane. (He flippin' charged the S.H.I.E.L.D. guys and leapt out the bleepin' window!!!!! :eek:) Now I'm a Cap subscriber.)
    Superman: 4.8 (If nothing else, I respect him. I like the very, very small tint of darkness hidden inside which really only comes out in cases like (using DCAU examples) Legacy and The Justice Lords. But.... he's also very bland and overpowered.... He's worthy of Round Two, for sure, but that's about it.... I prefer J'onn J'onnz.... :cool:)

6. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Nah. Superman's SUPERMAN. His name means superhero. The first, the last, and the best.

7. SpideyFan914

The last? What about every other superhero ever made? :shrug:
    He is the first superhero, yes, but that does not by default mean that he has more quality as a character. I don't hear you saying that The Great Train Robbery is the greatest movie ever, or that Pong is the greatest video game ever. Things evolve, and as such, they frequently improve with time - proving the opposite of your claim!

8. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

But unlike Pong or The Great Train Robbery, Superman has been free to evolve and progress among other superheroes. Even just recently, there have been comics like Kingdom Come, Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?, and All-Star Superman that show him for what he is. I dare you to read those and still say that Supes is a bland hero.

9. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Superman wasn't the first comic book he was the first comic book SUPERHERO. He's the Mario of the comic book world - a constant icon of the industry itself. Is he the most complex character? Is he my favorite character? Not at all. But he's been a quality character in quality media since before my grandparents were born, and I'd bet he'll still be one when my grandchildren are dead and gone.

10. SpideyFan914

Good point, actually.
    Still, he doesn't have the quality that heroes Spider-Man and Batman have. The first is not always the best, even when the odds don't work against it....
    Think of it this way: If you have a dart board and twenty darts, and each shot has just as much of a chance to hit anywhere on the dart board, how likely is it that your best shot is going to be your first one? The answer: 5%.
    Now think of superheroes - there's a lot more than 20 darts. :p
    The "he's the first superhero" argument is irrelevant with respect to quality.

But if he isn't your favorite character, then clearly there are others you believe are higher quality....

11. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Quite the opposite. Just because I like something better doesn't mean it IS better. I mean, I'd rather get a burger from McDonalds than a restaurant-quality steak, but I couldn't really argue that McDonalds makes better food than trained professionals. It's not high quality, however much I may enjoy it.

It's not simply about how much you LIKE someone or something. Another example - politically, I'm not a fan of Thomas Jefferson or his policies. But he's THOMAS JEFFERSON. He's on the nickel for Chrissakes! Whether you like him or not, he's obviously one of the greatest presidents of all time based on renown, based on impact, based on sheer historical importance.

Greatness is something impartial. It's more than just "this guy is cooler than that guy." While personal feelings towards something are certainly involved, they should take a backseat to the cold hard facts.

12. SpideyFan914

Hitler's a lot more important than Jefferson, y'know.

13. jph139

jph139 Immortal

And that's why he was Time's Man of the Year. See, proves my point entirely - Hitler was undoubtedly a horrible person, but still among the greatest historical figures of all time. Just because he's not my favorite guy ever doesn't mean he's not one of the greatest in a "Greatest Historical Figure" tournament.

14. SpideyFan914

I'm too tired to think of a witty comeback, but to be a great leader, you need respect for the people as well as efficiency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.