1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest 2010 Film!

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by Blankments, May 2, 2011.

1. Blankments

Blankments The Sparkle Rises!

Hola from the Greatest 2010 Film Thread!

Here are the rules: I will randomly put up two films and you will choose the better, which will go on while the other is cursed to obscurity forever and ever. To make this go faster, I will put up two matches at a time.

I promise that the matchups are random. If you think there's any cheating, PM me. If you want to know all the nominations, go check the thread.

Round 1!

Remember Me
    [​IMG]
    Directed by Allen Coulter.
    Starring Robert Pattinson, Emilie de Ravin, Chris Cooper, Lena Olin, Tate Ellington, Ruby Jerins, and Pierce Brosnan.
    Summary: Tyler, whose parents have split in the wake of his brother's suicide, and Ally, who lives each day to the fullest since witnessing her mother's murder, fall in love.

VS.

Burlesque
    [​IMG]
    Directed by Steven Antin.
    Starring Cher, Christina Aguilera, Eric Dane, Cam Gigandet, Julianne Hough, Peter Gallagher, Alan Cumming, Kristen Bell, and Stanley Tucci.
    Summary: A small-town girl ventures to Los Angeles and finds her place in a neo-burlesque club run by a former dancer.

AND

Jonah Hex
    [​IMG]
    Directed by Jimmy Hayward.
    Starring Josh Brolin, John Malkovich, Megan Fox, Will Arnett, Michael Shannon, and Michael Fassbender.
    Summary: The U.S. military makes a scarred bounty hunter with warrants on his own head an offer he cannot refuse: in exchange for his freedom, he must stop a terrorist who is ready to unleash Hell on Earth.

VS.

To Save a Life
    [​IMG]

Directed by Brian Baugh.
    Starring Randy Wayne, Deja Kreutzberg, Joshua Weigel, Steven Crowder,and D. David Morin.

Summary: After a childhood friend's death, Jake Taylor, an all-star athlete must change his life and sacrifice his dreams to save the lives of others.

I vote for Remember Me and To Save a Life.

#1 Blankments, May 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011
  2. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

I'm going with Remember Me and Johan Hex

3. Superpan

Superpan Member

Wow, movies that I've heard are either terrible or second-rate.

Remember Me, because I've heard Burlesque was worse.

Jonah Hex, because if I'm gonna have an annoying, predictable, shallow movie it better have ULYSSES S. GRANT!

4. JasonFox

JasonFox The Maniacal Movie Critic

Remember Me

To Save A life.

5. Frostbite200

Frostbite200 New Member

This.

6. cradleman

cradleman Member

for the first match, i don't care

for the second, i caught Jonah Hex on Saturday. My lord. i've never seen To Save a Life, but it just HAS to be better, so i'm voting for it.

also, these are the kind of lame matches i warned against going to 128 because of. none of these even got nominated, and for good reasons . . . but whatever.

7. SpideyFan914

SpideyFan914 Greatest Poster Ever!

This.

8. Superpan

Superpan Member

Jonah Hex is still on my tivo. "Sloppy" is how I would describe the first half of it. Also, the movie is very short.

To Save A Life is just abrasive, but I'll admit my problems with that movie stem from the major issues I have with the psychological and religious implications and thinking that were the driving force behind the movie.

9. SpideyFan914

Oh? I've never heard of the movie, but this sounds like another Pan-essay waiting to happen.

10. Superpan

Superpan Member

I think forum rules forbid me from discussing the movie actually, but...let's just say I'm not a big fan of "youth groups" of any sort, secular, religious, or otherwise and how far too many of them, in my opinion, try to take a teenager and make the teen value the youth group and its leader over their own individual lives and families.

11. SpideyFan914

Put it in spoiler tags! :p

12. Superpan

Superpan Member

No, it's a religious film. A poorly acted, small-budget, Christian film about a young man who rejects his life of alcohol and partying and joins a youth group at his local church after...so-and-so...commits

However, the people around him are confused by his change, as he devotes all his time to his church and youth group.

I probably should put it in spoiler tags, but honestly if you haven't figured out the plot from the DVD cover and the trailers they show before it comes on, then...well then, you're in for a surprise after-school (church) special.

I'll admit I didn't really watch it. I was just on Toonzone while my family was watching right behind me and I caught most of it. However....it's just not my type of movie.

EDIT: Apparently, the summaries I've found on Yahoo don't mention the youth group. Weird as I remember it being most of the movie.

13. SpideyFan914

Sounds boring. Why can't we talk about that on ToonZone?

14. Superpan

Superpan Member

Well, I can't, because my main objections to the film was its religious message. However, there' s a whole secular side about high school we can talk about!

Alright, so in the movie, even his own dad criticizes him to talking to "geeks" and "outsiders". It's speculated or outright stated that because he gives up hanging with the cool crowd, he won't even be going to college! The film makes his friend out to be a martyr of the high school system and him to be a messianic figure in the way that he reaches out to all the suicidal kids.

Needless to say, that high school is not that bad and if kids are suicidal, its probably more than just "the injustices of the high school caste system" that are making them feel that way. The idea that the solution to all this is some guy with a blonde Justin Bieber hairdo deciding to be friends with everyone is basically the statement that the solution to all the world's problems is when everyone tries to be friends with everyone else, which sounds great in practice, but in reality, it s TERRIBLE idea because all those friendships can only be at the most one-sided because they only come from feelings of pity or a certain person's need to be liked by everyone thus rendering those friendships null and void.

This is why people are communicating over Facebook and stuff like that because in reality, there isn't any difference between online friendships and real friendships because they carry the same amount of emotional depth. Your only other choice is to conform to another more overbearing person's sense of personality and form close-knit friendships that hold people back from becoming better friends with other people!

....I think I started talking about something else by the third paragraph...not quite sure...what were we talking about again?

15. SpideyFan914

Hm.... I mean, I see what you're saying.... But I am definitely that guy who's friends with everybody.... I honestly do not fully understand the concept of hating another human being. We're all still people, after basically the same things. Even the jerks and the morons - there's obviously some reason they're like that, and you can't really say you know how their mind works. It just doesn't make sense to me to hate someone you don't understand. Maybe it's also the existentialist in me, with that whole "There's no free will, so we never really have a choice," thing.

If you're reaching out to people in need, then that's a pretty strong thing. I don't really see how you can do something like that purely out of pity. Of course, one guy can hardly solve all the world's problems. From my experience, depressed high schoolers are more frequently that way due to an internal rejection; it's not that they don't have any friends, it's that they don't realize the friends they have because it seems like the "popular" kids have it so much better. Meanwhile, the popular kids usually have a few secretly depressed members as well.

Either way, the movie still sounds pretty boring. Probably cheesy and preachy too.... I still don't know why we can't talk about religion on ToonZone, seeing as Jesus Christ won Greatest Historical Figure.

Wait, what? Online friendships carry the same emotional depth as "real" friendships?

Okay, I don't know about you, but I for one would choose my in-person friends over this place any day of the week (no offense). True, the internet is great at removing that whole "social awkwardness" boundary, but it is most definitely not the same when you talk over the Internet as when you sit down and have lunch together. Facebook chat is simply not the same as being able to look someone in the eye, to share an experience with them. We have a lot of fun on here, yes, but we're never going to be able to watch a movie together, to stay up late in our parents' basement, to ride the one Subway with some crazy guy wearing snakes around his neck. We can't even high five.

I think it was in my psychology class that I was told babies need the human touch in order to establish some form of mental/social stability. To say that it's essentially the same to communicate over Facebook or texting would be to imply that you could spend your entire life hooked to a machine, meeting other people through this machine, marrying someone you've never even met. Would you want that kind of life?

16. Superpan

Superpan Member

..Well, I think there are far too many people out there who just try to be friends with everyone and don't really act like a friend except for a few.

As for the part about the internet, you might not have that problem. However, I highly doubt that people who spend hours on facebook have a lively social life. Again, this may be part of me acting like something's new when really it's been around forever, but I feel that friendship has come to mean less.

Basically, here's what I think. Most people I know seem to think that when you meet a new person, you have two options: either be their friend or hate their guts. That's a ridiculous way to judge people, but since most people think that way, they try to be everyone's friend.

Now let me ask you this. What's more hurtful: a person you know is mean insulting you or your "best friend" running away from you mid-conversation to go talk with someone else. I can tell you what it is, but I think you can guess.

I can speak from experience that when people try to be friendly with me, I usually try to ignore them for several months because I know that when I try to be friendly with them, they'll ignore me and hang out with the friends they like better. But it's okay because occassionally they'll remember to say hi to me and maybe compliment me and they "love everybody". No, it just makes it more hurtful because you don't really care about me, you just like keeping up your number of people you can talk to at any time.

See, I define "love" as "caring about another person before yourself". By definition, you CANNOT love everyone equally. See Spideyfan's post for an example. It is easy to tell when one person loves another more and the person who is not loved as much can tell as well. That second person can't ever think that other person loves them as well, but that person can never complain because that other person meets the minimum requirements for a post-modern "friendship". However, that person knows where he or she stands.

Again, if you're lucky enough to fit into a group of people who love hanging out with you, that's great. However, for those of us who have said hello to a "best friend" in the hallway and just watched them pass by know that "loving everyone" is a falsehood people attach to themselves to improve their own self-esteem. Personally I'm a fan of a viewpoint I read in a article that stated that "tolerating and understanding" everyone else is a much more honest and easier-to-live by statement.

(By the way, this was a generic essay. I wasn't criticizing anyone in particular.)

Also, Spideyfan, I think Jesus was allowed because we were judging him as a person, not as a God figure.

17. Jmill

Jmill Person

First match: Remember Me
    I haven't seen either (this is going to become very common response here), but it seemed somewhat interesting. So that's why I'm picking it.

Second match: Jonah Hex
    My church was having their teen group meeting up to see this. I'm not very active in my youth group to begin with, but it was bring a friend night so I tried to. Inevitably, something happened and neither of us went. So I haven't seen it yet. I Googled it. It doesn't seem like the movie I'd enjoy. Jonah Hex, however, does, so it gets my vote.

18. Frostbite200

Frostbite200 New Member

That or people refused to admit they watched a film starring Cher and Christina Aguilera.

19. Superpan

Superpan Member

My mom admitted it....she told me it was the biggest waste of her money that year.

20. Blankments

Blankments The Sparkle Rises!

Honestly, I voted for To Save a Life because of a Facebook conversation with a guy who insisted that Toy Story 3 was a movie for little babies and that Jonah Hex was better since it has more explosions. Yeah... I kind of have an vendetta against Jonah Hex now. Anyways...

Remember Me wins by 6.
    To Save a Life wins by 2.

Next Matches!

The Tempest
    [​IMG]
    Directed by Julia Taymor.
    Starring Helen Mirren, Russell Brand, Reeve Carney, Tom Conti, Chris Cooper, Alan Cumming, Djimon Hounsou, Felicity Jones, Alfred Molina, David Strathairn, and Ben Whishaw.
    Summary: Usurped by her brother, Prospera is sent off with her four-year daughter on a ship. She ends up on an island, a tabula rasa with no society, so the mother figure becomes a father figure to Miranda. This leads to the power struggle and balance between Caliban and Prospera, a struggle not about brawn, but about intellect.

VS.

Restrepo
    [​IMG]
    Directed by Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger.
    Starring no one you know.
    Summary: A year is spent with one platoon in the deadliest valley in Afghanistan.

AND

The Ghost Writer
    [​IMG]

Directed by Roman Polanski.
    Starring Ewan McGregor, Pierce Brosnan, Kim Cattrall, Olivia Williams, Tom Wilkinson, Timothy Hutton, and Eli Wallach.
    Summary: A ghostwriter hired to complete the memoirs of a former British prime minister uncovers secrets that put his own life in jeopardy.

VS.

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
    [​IMG]
    Directed by Sam Liu and Lauren Montgomery.
    Starring William Baldwin, Mark Harmon, Chris Noth, Gina Torres, James Woods, Bruce Davison, and Josh Keaton.
    Summary: A good version of Lex Luthor from a parallel Earth comes to the Justice League's dimension for help to fight their evil counterparts.

I vote for The Tempest and The Ghost Writer.

#20 Blankments, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011