Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer moves to Freeform

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by mimitchi33, Nov 1, 2017.

1. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Idol Time Countdown!

Now here's something I didn't expect to see on this year's 25 Days of Christmas schedule. Apparently, Freeform is showing Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer on December 21st and 22nd at 7AM. The runtime is exactly the same as the version the CW, so I assume it's the 1999 Film Romain special, which is odd, because Turner usually airs it on the CW, Cartoon Network and Boomerang. Maybe they gave up the rights to this? If they did, I wouldn't be surprised, seeing as the special got fewer and fewer airings as time went on. For example, last year, Grandma got only one airing on the CW if I recall correctly, and it was on the night of the first part of The Voice season finale. Maybe the CW saw how poorly the special did in recent years and sold it to Disney? Only time will tell if it appears on ABC as well...

2. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Good riddens to bad rubbish. It should have joined the pile of long-forgotten, awful Christmas special long ago.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

I'm surprised anyone actually wanted this piece of sludge at all, but not surprised at the same time. I'm sure they can justify it. Somehow, it managed to run all those years on the Turner/Warner networks and was still able to sell ads.

From my years of watching Christmas specials, it's an easy conclusion to make that it's a genre full of programs that will definitely make money regardless of their quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #3 Gear3dGryph0n, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  4. Looney Tunes Fan

Looney Tunes Fan Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

If I had to take a guess, CW will still air the special, unless Warner sold free-to-air TV broadcast rights to ABC/Disney along with cable TV rights (most of the time, for whatever reason, I've seen companies keep these two sets of broadcast rights separate).

Interesting that it won't show up on CN and Boomerang this year though. I wonder if CN and Boomerang are trying to downsize the amount of 3rd party stuff they have on hand?

5. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what channel it comes on, I'm still not watching.

6. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

It's about time that this special got out of the Turner channels. For the most part this special was just wrong on so many levels from the cast just feeling absurd to the story being way too long and conveluted.

Now CN can dedicate better time to who knows what, Its better than seeing anymore of this.

#6 jaylop97, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  7. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Yeah.....

I think CN/Boomerang can benefit from NOT having this on their channel(s) ever again. And that's FACT - besides that I consider it a good thing CN is opting for more original material and less reliance of 3rd party stuff (in general!), honestly.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I just did a recheck on the secret Boomerang app pages. Yep, this special is NOT on the list. I guess the rights reverted back to Film Roman. Thank goodness for that, because I don't think I could've stood this special any longer.

And what better network to dump this special on than Freeform? That's a pretty fitting fate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. D-nice is the man.

I'm honestly surprised (not that much) that people here actually hate this special. Honestly, I didn't think it was good either considering the was based off a song about someone's murder. But no one can't say that "Grandma is gonna sue the pants off of Santa." is the best part of the movie, but whatever.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ikey2

ikey2 Member

Reckon that I'm one of the few that watches each year. This isn't the worst special, many that could be considered worse. Personally always felt gets the same treatment as Halloween I I I, if you changed the name from Halloween movie to just season of the witch people seem to like it better. So in that case if this was called something other than the title of the song, some people might think of it in a different light.

Ike's phone

11. mimitchi33

I honestly think the Turner channels dropped it because of poor ratings and lower interest. They did this with another special, Scary Godmother, in 2014. Either that, or Disney brought out the Film Romain library to air on their networks. If the latter is the case, I'm guessing we may also see A Garfield Christmas on ABC this year, since they also made that, to fill in the hole left by Olaf's Frozen Adventure when it was changed to be a theatrical release.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Honestly, I didn't think that the special was that bad. It's certainly not one of my favorite Christmas specials, but I think it's watchable enough. It's not quite in the so bad it's good territory, but it's probably close. It might also help that I liked how it wasn't as weirdly dark and depressing as the original song was. Still, I'm not surprised with its reputation due to the quality of the special and the song itself. I don't know if I would say it's one of the worst Christmas specials, but I can easily understand why others would feel that way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

That was one of the weirdest christmas special ever. I mean, I like the song and all, but that special was awkward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I don't know, just so teen titans go can get even more play time, something different is better then the same.

15. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

They didn't. Film Roman is owned by Waterman Entertainment.

That's more likely to be on the Boomerang app, since they already have the other Garfield specials on there.

16. mimitchi33

1. Never knew that. Maybe Disney purchased the rights to just that special because CW didn't want to air it anymore?
    2. I just read about that today and was excited. If they can show the specials, they're probably gonna stream Garfield and Friends.

That's true. The last time they played Scary Godmother, they only aired it once that year because they wanted to play "Serious Business" for the umpteenth time that week (at the time, it was the most recent episode). And when they did air Grandma last year, it was often played very early in the morning (particually on weekends) so that they could air that 8 to 12 TTG block (which used to be the Top Five).