Grand Unified VG Recommendations Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by wonderfly, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Magus

Magus The Boss

So while I'm not really a fan of portable gaming I did play the DS from time to time, but unfortunately I've lost interest in the DS (not interested in any of the games on it) and I'm pretty much going after a PSP now.

So far the games I've seen that I'll be going after are:

Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker - Of course this'll be the first game I go after.
    Persona 3 Portable - I haven't played any of the Persona games so I figure this'll be a nice place to start.
    Persona - I don't remember exactly, but I think I saw this game on the PSP somewhere.
    Dissidia Final Fantasy and the sequel -
    Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7
    God of War: Chain's of Olympus and the other one I can't think of
    Gulity Gear and possibly Blazblue

That's about all that I can think of off the top of my head, but I seem to recall there being quite a few games on the PSP that caught my attention. Anyway, any others you can think of feel free. Same rules apply.

No Little Big Planet
    No GTA
    No Racing
    No S/TRPGs (NEW)
    No Platformers (NEW, not my kind of game)

2. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

@Rebellion: Half-Minute Hero. It's incredibly retro and charming as you plow through it 30 seconds at a time.

I would also recommend Rock Band Unplugged. It actually is quite intense and does not require peripherals.

And one more recommendation comes from the PSN side of things: Age of Zombies. It's a small game and a twin stick shooter (you use the face buttons to shoot), but it is very entertaining and one of the best games for the Minis platform.

3. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

So yeah, I bought a PSone recently, and was wondering what some good, lesser known games there are for it. I've played PSX games before, though it's been years, so I know all about Crash/Spyro/Parappa/Medal Gear Solid/Laura Croft/Resident Evil/Final Fantasy/and so on, and I don't need anyone telling me that I need to play these games. But I know some of you know of some good gems, and I was curious to see what you guys would come up with.

4. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

It's not as popular as its cousins, but I suggest Soul Blade. It has a very nostalgic feel to it, and there are lots of things to unlock.

5. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Brave Fencer Musashi, Tomba! (You probably won't find it, but snatch it up if you do), Jumping Flash 1 or 2, Einhander, Legend Of Mana, Silent Bomber, Trap Gunner, and Bushido Blade.

Tomba and Jumping Flash for platformers, Brave Fencer Musashi and Legend Of Mana for action RPGs, Einhander for shmups, Silent Bomber and Trap Gunner for niche action, and Bushido Blade for one of the most unique fighters ever.

I tried not recommending stuff like Klonoa that have better versions on other systems (that I know you have) for far cheaper prices.

6. WolfieKiwi

WolfieKiwi We lil' devils

Sheep Raider is worth looking into. It has a huge focus on stealth which isn't hampered at all by the controls, and it's just plain fun---using acme contraptions to steal sheep in all sorts of ways. It's not perfect by any means but it's probably the best looney tunes based video game out there.

There's also Soul Reaver ( A god of war'ish game which couldn't be any more different than the former choice) and the Gex series (platforming and pop culture humor) though I'd go for the sequels.

7. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Question about Sonic Generations..

Hey guys! :)

So I've been pending on this for a bit and I'm kind of in a stump. Is Sonic Generations worth getting right now..?

I heard the game is really one big blast but its extremely short. Should I wait until there is a price drop in the future or is it worth getting right now for the current price? Thank you so much for any response!

8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Unless you are a huge Sonic fan who has to have it right away (like me), than I'd say wait. The gameplay is very, very good. What you heard is true, though. It is very, very short. My brother and I beat it in only about 3 days.

And, to be honest, story mode is a bit underwhelming. Over half-the-cast are just there. They do nothing at all. Knuckles, Rouge, Blaze, Silver, Big, Shadow. All these characters, and they just kinda stand around.

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It's only nine types of levels (18 total when you include both acts), plus four bosses. So yeah, it's a short story mode. On the other hand, there are a ton of challenges to play through, which allow you to unlock artwork and music. Those kept me playing for at least a week after I beat story mode.

2D controls were definitely a huge improvement over Sonic 4 (no odd physics), and the 3D levels weren't half bad either. Strangely, in some instances, I actually -preferred- the 3D levels, which I don't often say about a Sonic game.

10. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Ah I see! :) I'll give it a consideration, if not I'll just wait for a little price drop to happen before I get into it. Thank you so much guys!

11. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Agreed with what everyone else says. The game itself is fantastic, but there isn't nearly enough content to warrant a $50 price tag. I'd say the game is worth $30, at most.

12. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

It's not a bad game but for a big 20th anniversary one it's lacking.The story mode is lacking both in depth and gameplay. There's actually a cutscene halfway in where the dialogue suggests they expected the players to only have 2 emeralds by that point but I was up to 4 or 5. The updated levels are fun to play and there are a few easter eggs in zones but the game seems surprisingly relaxed about what's happening. Sonic doesn't even comment in levels on having to face things like Perfect Chaos again and the one level that does have banter (the last one) just uses it to complicate things. A shame since we've had things like the last battle in Shadow's own game, where the banter both helped and furthered the story.

I think really it depends on how nostalgic you are. If you like Sonic and want to play a game which offers the best of the two defining types of game play, go for it. But enjoyable as it is, I can't help feeling this is less a complete game and more glorified DLC.

13. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

Topic merged with the Grand Unified Recommendations Thread. The thread is now stickied, so, yeah, any questions on what to get/suggestions/etc. will go here. Keep calm and carry on, my wayward son.

14. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Hey guys!

So I'm having a hard time finding a new ps2 rpg game with a realllyyyyyy good story :).

So far what I have and actually all enjoyed are:

-Tales of the Abyss
    -Tales of Legendia
    -Star Ocean 3
    -Hack GU: Volume1
    -Hack GU:Volume 2
    -Hack GU:Volume 3
    -Persona 3:FES
    -Persona 4
    -Dragon Quest 8
    -Kingdom hearts 2(played through 1, RE chain, and a few other titles)

I heard the Sukioden and Wild Arms series are good, but I'm not so sure about them:sweat:. I know if I liked GU then getting the original four Hack games is a must, but I kind of want a break from the series for a while. Thoughts? Games I should be going after? Thanks!

15. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

[SUP]Since nobody seems to have responded to you Rockman (and I haven't read this forum as much lately), I'll run down a few you might like:

Mana Khemia
    Atelier Iris
    Radiata Stories
    Xenosaga 1 - 3

Suikoden and Wild Arms are fun, but they are "B" type options.

Although I suspect it might not exactly be to your tastes, I REALLY loved Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne. It's not very story driven, but it's really dark and addicting and ultimately empowering. Your character becomes truly a godlike being near the end.[/SUP]

16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I could use some advice on whether I should dive into Baldur's Gate. The "Enhanced Edition" of this is coming out for iPad and PC later this month, which is the perfect chance to get into it. But is this a notable game that's been eclipsed, or still one of the better things in Bioware's library?

I haven't really played anything of Bioware's prior to Dragon Age: Origins. So, recommendations on where to try next from them (or other developers) would be welcome.

17. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

..So, I only just noticed this response haha:p(fail on my part). Thank you so much for these titles and I'll definitely will be checking them out.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I've been mulling buying a PS3 or an XBox in anticipation of this game called Young Justice: Legacy when it comes out in March. But I've got a few lingering questions and hopefully you all who know way more than me on the subject can help:

1) What's a decent size for the XBox - 250 GB?

[strike]1a) I only ask because I noticed a 4GB version that got rolled back to $180 at a local Wal-Mart and was wondering what's with the huge discrepancy in storage space? I plan on only playing one or two games max.[/strike]

2) I've heard talk about how the PS3 servers for multiplayer online tends to get axed pretty fast, whereas Microsoft keeps theirs up perpetually. Any truth to that?

3) What's the lowest/decent price anyone has seen for a PS3 or XBox lately?
    -$230 at Walmart for a PS3 bundle with 4 games

3a) Any good 'watch dog sites' that track price shifts?

4) Anyone here use HD game captures or recorders and have some recommendations?

#118 Yojimbo, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  19. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

1. The 4 GB Xbox has no hard drive, just a little solid state memory. Not a good choice unless you absolutely don't want to download games.

3. Walmart has a 250 GB PS3 bundled with 4 games for $230. I bought one earlier tonight to replace a PS3 that died.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I see. Nix the 4GB since I'll probably get some DLC. Thanks, Shawn.