Grand Unified VG Recommendations Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by wonderfly, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Magus

Magus The Boss

My ps2 seems to be dying on me (it turns on but nothing plays) so I'm in need of some DS games. Can't say I have much of a taste in DS games since I haven't played many. I've only play Phoenix Wright: Justice for All, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, and some bits of Sonic Rush (I'm just no fan of this series anymore). I have Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's World Championship 2010: Reverse of Arcadia on the way.

Just a few things to note.

No music games

No Mario or Pokemon games. I know, Pokemon is like the heart of the DS and I'll probably get one of the games later (much later) on down the line but right now I have no intentions on spending money on it.

Try to keep the games like Tetris down to a minimum. I like Tetris and all but it's bout the only game I'd actually play. (Bejeweled is good too)

Other than that let it rip.

2. WolfieKiwi

WolfieKiwi We lil' devils

Definitely finish up the Phoenix Wright saga if you're still interested. Pick up the first Ace Attorney and Trials and Tribulations---and if you're still hungry for more, there's a spin off title [Ace Attorney: Investigations] to look into as well.

If you want an entirely new mystery/detective game, then I whole heartedly recommend Hotel Dusk.

3. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

I saw nothing against Prof. Layton. If you love brain teasers, you'll just eat this game series up. Also, Dragon Quest IX, if you're a big fan of VIII, this game will be your RPG fix for the DS that isn't Pokémon related.

4. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

Dragon Quest IX is THE game on the DS right now. Even if you're not generally into JRPGs, it's worth trying out. It's one of those rare few Japanese games that feels Western-influenced in the best possible way, not the "dude our protagonists are space marines with guns instead of spiky-haired kids with swords now!" way.

If you're into strategy, consider Civilization Revolution, which is a better translation of classic Civ gameplay to a handheld than I ever would've thought possible. Obviously given the limitations of hardware and screen size it's not as deep as its PC counterparts, but it's definitely still got that Civ "one more turn" addictiveness.

Also, if you like Bejeweled, you owe it to yourself to pick up Puzzle Quest 2. It's the same basic gem-matching gameplay, but as the battle system in an RPG. Matching gems of a particular color gives you mana of that color to cast spells. It adds a real strategic element to that simple gameplay mechanic.

Another game on that similar puzzle / RPG hybrid tip is Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes.

5. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Henry Hatsworth In The Puzzling Adventure is a great platformer/puzzle hybrid that is a treat to play. I think it's really cheap right now, too.

I also recommend the Mega Man Zero Collection as it is four high quality Mega Man games in one package. You just can't beat that deal. By the same token Contra 4 includes the rocking new game as well as ports of NES Contra and Super C. However, if you don't like difficult games, you might not like it.

Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime is probably the most unique thing to come out of Square Enix in a long time. Part Zelda style adventure, part giant robot battle, it's really all kinds of fun. The only negative is that it is quite easy and could really use a sequel.

The two Shin Megami Tensei DS games are pretty hardcore RPGs if you're into that.

Also, while you said you aren't too into Sonic anymore, I think the Sonic Classic Collection is rather cheap now, and since it includes all the sidescrolling Genesis platformers (though having to touch the screen to pause and the slight bit of slowdown in Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a negative) it is a pretty good deal.

6. Magus

Magus The Boss

I was definately curious about the Shin Megami Tensei games and the Dragon Quest (considering how I've only played bits of DQ8 and still haven't finished it) games too. Anyway, keep em coming.

7. Magus

Magus The Boss

Alright. Now I'm back for ps3 recs. I don't have one yet but hopefully I can get one between the 12th and Christmas. Right now I'm running through a list of games off the top of my head that I know I'm going to get right off the bat.

Metal Gear Solid 4 (1st game I have to get)
    Uncharted 1 & 2
    Assassins Creed 1 & 2
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2
    Devil May Cry 4
    God of War 3 (I may get the collection)
    Super Street Fighter 4
    Bayonetta

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I think I got all the ones I'm currently anxious to play.

Can't say I'm fond of getting Grand Theft Auto 4 (never been interested in the series), Little Big Planet, or Rachet and Clank at the moment.

Any others you can think of?

8. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

Little Big Planet is a brilliant game, though.

I recommend picking up Heavy Rain. It's certainly a different experience as far as video game goes and not everyone liked it, but I found it to be very enjoyable. I'd also suggest 3D Dot Game Heroes, which turns the classic 8-bit RPG on its head. Its 8-bit in 3D graphics are charming, the music is great, and it has some pretty funny humor too.

9. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

Having played both games, I just thought that I'd let you know that NGS1 is almost exactly the same game as NGB on the XBOX, except with updated graphics, some short new Rachael missions (which suck), and with some of the puzzles removed (not nearly enough to really make any difference in the gameplay, though). I suppose its worth getting if you don't any other version of the 1st game, but if you were looking to compare it to the 1st game and see if there are a lot of differences, I just thought I'd let you know ahead of time that there really aren't.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on the other hand is VERY different from the NGS2 games. The reviewers who said otherwise clearly never played the XBOX360 version of NG2, and have no clue what they are talking about. That said, most of the major differences take place on the harder difficulties. Mentor mode is much easier in Sigma 2 and honestly its almost as easy as NG2's Warrior mode. However Master Ninja mode (if you even plan to play that far) is completely different, and its just as hard as the one in the XBOX360 version but for entirely different reasons. In NG2, it has a lot of projectile spam from IS ninja and throws a lot of enemies at you at once. In NGS2, you get much less spam and even much less enemies at once, which seems like it'd be better but then you find out that they can OHK you, which IMO is even more aggravating than the difficulty in NG2's Master Ninja mode. Still, I'd say its worth getting and playing if you want to play the game for its differences, and considering how you got frustrated with certain aspects of NG2, you might actually prefer NGS2 (except for MNM), even though I was personally disappointed by it, and found it to be somewhat of a downgrade in certain aspects.

Anyways, don't take what I said as me trying to influence your decision to buy either of these games. Forgive me for being the NG fanboy that I am, but since you mentioned them, I just felt the need to input my opinion on the 2 games. They are both still worth your time if you are fan of NG. I just personally prefer the XBOX versions to them (mostly with the 2nd game, since its so different, though). :sweat:

For some reason I thought you already owned this game. :shrug:

Oh well, I plan on getting that for the XBOX360 eventually. I should be able to find it for a pretty cheap price, now, but I'll probably look for Bayonetta first.

I'm not sure if either game would interest you, but I tried bits of both Demon's Souls and Infamous on my friends PS3 about a year or so back. I thought the former game was a fun RPG from what I played of it (and I'm not much into the genre), and it has a good amount of challenge (I didn't get enough time to play it to see if its really as hard as so many people claim it is, though). I also found Infamous to be a fun game, even though I'm not much into Sandbox style designs, but once again, I'm not really sure if that's your cup of tea or not. I'm just going by what I played and liked of those 2 games on my friend's PS3 (being that I don't own that console, myself).

#89 ensatsu-ken, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2010
  10. Mynd Hed

If you're interested in the open-world nature of the GTA series but not the faux-NYC thug setting, you might consider Red Dead Redemption, Rockstar's Old West open-world game.

11. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

Red dead redemption ruined gta iv for me, which I hadn't finished... Because of one thing: checkpoints. I can't go back again. I hear that the expansion two-pack has them, so I'd recommend that over gta iv.

12. Magus

Magus The Boss

I don't have the Xbox anymore.... And I feel I can pretty much play any game better if I had a sony controller. (especially if it's an action game)

It's not the thug setting that gets to me (I live in Detroit, Michigan.... I'm used to it). It's more like Rockstar's games in general just don't interest me.

13. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

Eh, That's true for pretty much most action games, except for Ninja Gaiden. I feel that NG just works way less responsively with Sony's controller (well, its not the controller's fault in this case, to be fair, but more of Hayashi's fault for making the controls feel less responsive in general for no good reason), and blocking and rolling/dashing to just doesn't feel right with that controller. My biggest issue is with the camera controls, though. I was able to get used to the camera to some extent in NG2 because I was able to constantly adjust it to my preference with the analogue sticks on the XBOX controller, but in the Sigma games it turned out to be much harder to get used to. You'll see what I mean when you actually get a chance to play the Sigma games, since from what I can tell its not just me who couldn't get used to playing NG games on the PS3 controller.

I imagine that most other hack n' slash games would be more favored with a PS3 controller, though, such as God of War, DMC, and Bayonetta.

14. Mynd Hed

So some of my friends have invited me to join in their weekly poker game and I'm looking to brush up on my skills. Can anybody recommend me a decent version of Texas Hold'Em for the DS?

There are a couple different standalone version and most cartridges of the "50 Classic Board and Card Games!" stripe will have a version of Hold'Em in there, but those things are such by-the-numbers shovelware and you can never tell how much effort went into which games, so if anyone's actually played Hold'Em on the DS and can tell me how good the experience is I'd be grateful. Multiplayer is not an issue, but a good interface is a necessity and decent AI to play against is a plus. Some kind of tutorial to teach you strategy would be ideal.

15. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I need some help. I want a good Wii Zapper game since I only have the Link game. I would prefer a FPS rail shooter.

I've got three titles in mind, though I'm not sure which would be the best:

The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
    Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
    and Medal of Honor Heroes 2

I've only ever played the last one (it was arcade mode), but war games aren't typically my thing. Does anyone have any ideas?

16. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

If you go with Resident Evil I wouldn't bother with Umbrella Chronicles. Skip right to Darkside Chronicles.

But you can't go wrong with the classic House of the Dead 2 & 3, but I have heard good things about House of the Dead Overkill. Dead Space: Extraction is also good.

17. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

House Of The Dead Overkill is great. It's probably my favorite rail shooter on the system.

18. Mynd Hed

Unless you have major nostalgia for HotD 2 and/or 3, I'd say skip straight to Overkill. It's more fully-featured (being a home console game by design as opposed to an arcade port) and intentionally as opposed to accidentally hilarious.

19. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for the advice. I looked at some videos on the nintendo channel and I think I'm going to try for Darkside Chronicles, assuming Gamestop has it. I might even take advantage of the preowned sale and pick up a house of dead as well.

20. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

Heh. I doubt anyone on this board would even pick up a poker game.

I only have one, World Series of Poker, and it's for the Gamecube. Like you, I mainly bought it as reference material. Though I did sort of get into it and cheated by constantly saving after winning a big pot and reloading after losing all my money...;)