1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Unified VG Recommendations Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by wonderfly, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

It certainly is, but I don't have any particular desire to debate it. I'm just making a recommendation, not writing a review. The game is there for people to check out or not as they so choose. I was just making the point that its similarities to DMC might make people who didn't like DMC inclined to assume they won't like it, but since I didn't care for DMC but I very much DID like Bayonetta, it's probably worth the effort of checking out even for those people.

2. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

Which is basically what I just said that I wasn't arguing with you about, but I digress. I'll just go back to making my own personal recommendations so as not to derail this topic from what I'm sure you intended it for. ;)

More recommendations:

Being that this thread seems to be for all sorts of video games in general, I suppose its alright if I recommend some older games that aren't quite from this generation, and at that, I will highly recommend both Max Payne games to people who like 3rd person action shooter games, and who has not yet tried these games out, yet. They take a lot of influence from John Woo action films as well as The Matrix for their action sequences, and the result actually works out better than I had expected it too before I played the 1st Max Payne game. Both games also have pretty decent stories compared to most otehr games in their genre, and there is even a good level of challenge and strategy that goes into each enemy encounter, especially with the bigger fights, since they pretty much force you to play cautiously if you don't want to get shot to death within a matter of just a few seconds. Both of these games can be downloaded of of Steam if you want to play them on a PC, and both of them can also be downloaded off of XBOX Live as XB Originals.

3. Magus

Magus The Boss

Shun this evil person. I think he secretly likes to see/hear people whine about how cheap _____ is :p.

Joking aside, I second that notion. Although I do love me some Devil May Cry (it's got a lot of style to it, and Dante's just the pinnacle of the word "bad###"), I will say that Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 has some of, if not the best combat/controls in the hack n slash/beat em up genre. The controls are really tight and the flow of combat feels really good. Not saying DMC or GoW are bad in the control department (but in some cases there are times where you can just button mash in the games... I'd actually like to see someone attempt to button mash in Ninja Gaiden... Can you even get far just by mashing on the X or Y buttons?), but when it comes to NG the controls just feels more satisfying.

4. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I can't recommend this enough. Especially for $20 on PSN.

Even if you don't like RPGs, at least download the demo and give it a try. It's addictive, arcadey fun.

5. Bigchill

Bigchill Member

Any Reccomendations?

I'm looking to buy some dsi ware games but don't know what I should get. anyone have any suggestions?

6. Magus

Magus The Boss

I need some opinions about the Suikoden series. Suikoden 5 to be more exact since that's the one I'm currently eyeballing. Reading/watching the reviews at a few sites, while they sound nice and all they're not really all that convincing. So I need more fan input.

7. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I only have the first 3 games, but from all fan accounts I've heard is that V is almost as good as II (and II is one of the best RPGs out there) and is the best installment on the PS2.

My friend owns every game (except a working II) and he told me the only Suiko game worth skipping is IV. Every other one is worth playing.

8. Bigchill

Bigchill Member

Getting a 360 soon and want some suggestions...

Okay, so I'm getting a 360 in about a month or so. and I'll be getting COD MW 2 with it as well but obviously I'll need some more games besides that. so what games are good for the 360? I was thinking Gears 2 or Borderlands....

9. unknown hero

unknown hero Chaos Dimension!

If you are into multiplayer FPS like MW2 I suggest Bioshock 2, it is a lot of fun.

10. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

If you're considering getting Gears 2, get Gears 1 first. Besides the 20-dollar price point, you do get the first part of the story.

If you're into stealth games like MGS or Splinter Cell, make sure that when you buy your 360 you're getting the Splinter Cell Conviction 360 bundle if it's still available. It may be 400 bucks, but you're getting another controller, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and a 250 GB drive. Although, IMO, the current Elite bundle is pretty sweet; Forza 3 is the current king of sim racing and Halo 3: ODST is probably not worth paying full price for a standalone expansion pack and the complete Halo 3 multiplayer experience but worth it if you're getting a 360 for the first time.

And, Crackdown is one of my favorite games. It may be a sandbox game like GTA but with supercops instead of criminals, but it's fun and a great co-op game.

11. ensatsu-ken

Hmmmm....shouldn't this question be asked in the Grand Unified VG recommendations thread?

Oh well, I'm not sure, but as for your question of good XBOX360 games, I can't really recommend anything, myself, unless you have some specific preferrences of what you're looking for. Like, do you want more games in the line of FPS games or shooters, or are you interested in action games, or any other sort of genre. At any rate, I will say that a lot of the best games on the console are actually stuff that you can download from XBOX Live Arcade, such as games like Shadow Complex (which is perfect if you like old-school metroid-esque exploration games with the level design having you play through most of the game on a 2D plane.

12. Bigchill

Bigchill Member

k, thanks for the recommendations people. I'll definitely take those into consideration ;)

Yeah, I really like FPS/Action games and any game that has online Multiplayer would suffice as well.

13. Mynd Hed

If you're into online shooters, you can't do any better than the Left 4 Dead series. The first and second one are largely interchangeable so just get whichever one more of your friends have.

I'll second Bioshock 2, with the caveat that you really should play Bioshock 1 first. It's a much more story-driven series than most FPS so it pays to start from the beginning, and it can be had for $15 brand new or around $10 used these days so there's really no reason not to.

14. ensatsu-ken

Well, lets see:

For FPS games, I'd definitely suggest The Orange Box, which contains Half-Life 2 and its 2 episode expansion-pack sequels, Portal (which is a brilliant puzzel game), and Team Fortress 2, which seems to be a pretty well loved online team-based multiplayer shooter.

I would also recommend both F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R. 2 (each of which can be found for $20 or less) if you like horror-themed FPS games.

I will also second Mynd Hed's recommendation of BioShock (the 1st one, anyways, since I myself have yet to play the sequel).

As for 3rd person shooters and action games, I would recommend:

Gears of War 1 and 2- Both can be gotten for fairly cheap prices now (I actually found a used copy of Gears of War 2 for $20 at a Game Stop near my house), provided that you actually like its "duck-and-cover" over a more simplistic "run-and-gun" style of gameplay that are more common in FPS games. Also, its extremely violent compared to most games (even for an M rated game, that is), so you might want to skip it if you lots of gore turns you off. If not, though, then its one of the most solid action game series on the XBOX360, IMO.

Shadow Complex- As I mentioned earlier, this is a great Metroid-esque 2.5D style action game with lots of exploration features to it. And for only $15, you're really getting quite a lot of gameplay for your money.

Bayonetta- If you like DMC-style hack n' slash games, then you can't go wrong with this game. Its a brilliant action game with a purposely cheesy and over-the-top story, and even as someone who personally can't stand its overtly-sexual theme (and I mean how it always has Bayonetta doing all sorts of things that seem like the game is being marketed more towards horny teenagers or something), this all becomes trivial and is easy to forget as soon as you get into the intense and awesome gameplay. Also, its been noted by several reviewers that the XBOX360 version of the game has noticeably better textures than the PS3 version and also runs significantly better with less loading times, so that's yet another reason to pick up the XBOX360 version of the game. You also don't have to worry about difficulty, since the game has much easier modes for those who don't want a difficult experience, and harder modes for those who want a real challenge.

Ninja Gaiden II- Alright, while this is personally my favorite hack n' slash game from this generation and my favorite XBOX360 game, this is more of a hesitant recommendation on my part. This game is a lot rougher on new players so it might feel a bit too challenging on an initial playthrough of the game (honestly, its really made quite easy in many ways, but it still requires a bit of a learning curve). Also, its very bloody, so its a game that I would advice against if you are turned off by excessive violence. However, otehr than that, it easily has some of the best, slickest, and most fast-paced fluid combat in the hack n' slash/beat-em-up genre, and in that regard it can be really fun and easy to get into. At the same time, it has a lot more complexity and depth to its combat which it rewards you for once you discover more useful techniques with each weapon, and the key difference between this game and most other action games in the same genre is that the enemy AI are actually quite aggressive and work well together in team tactics against you, requiring you to constantly be on your toes and fighting more offesnsively, while being cautious and effectively using defense when necessary. Its very different from most other hack n' slash games in how its design is approached, but IMO its just as fun as the best titles in the gerne, so I'd say that its worth checking out, and it can also be found for quite a cheap price these days.

Oh, and, even though you didn't express any interest in fighting games, if you do have any interest in it and haven' already picked it up for the PS3, then I would recommend Soul Calibur IV. Granted that, its probably better to have a fight pad for a fighting game on the XBOX360, but SC4 does a surprisingly good job of actaully be quite manageable on an XBOX360 controller (I have actually been able to still play quite well on online matches even when using the regular controller with its muddled d-pad). At any rate, its personally my favorite 3D fighting game from this generation, and its online gameplay is great.

#74 ensatsu-ken, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  15. Bigchill

Bigchill Member

:^: Okay, thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into those.:D

16. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Well I'm getting a 360 and wanted to know what to get..

So I've decided to get a 360 for my birthday next month and now I'm trying to figure out what to buy. The games on my list to get eventually are..

-Batman Arkham Asylum
    -Tales of Vesperia
    -Banjo Nuts and Bolts
    -Blue Dragon
    -Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2(Coming out in a few months)
    -Final Fantasy 13
    -Possibly Lost Planet games?

I love plateformers and rpgs. Yet I don't like a overload of blood(it depends, if it's rated M and it has a massive amount of blood then..I'm mostly out). I mean of course it can be violent but just not over doing it you know? I'm a good soul I suppose. I've always been a Nintendo boy so it's kind of odd going over to the Microsoft side now. :p

Any ideas guys?

17. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Eh, I thought Lost Planet was boring as heck. I couldn't even force my way through it because it just dragged. The sequel looks like a massive improvement, though.

I recommend Mirror's Edge if you like platformers. It's a bit challenging to get used to, but a lot of fun to play through. There's also some cool platformers on XBLA like 'Splosion Man, Bionic Commando ReArmed, and some of the indie games like the Arkedo series. They also have the best versions of some of Rare's N64 games there like the Banjo games and Perfect Dark if you're into them.

If you want some RPGs, I've heard great things about Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata, so you might want to look into them.

18. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

- Lost Odyssey (traditional FF-esque flair)
    - Last Remnant
    - Mass Effect 2
    - FFXIII «-- only FNC game on the 360. Versus & Agito will be Sony exclusive FF games. Versus (on PS3) and Agito XIII (on PSP)

19. Mynd Hed

'Splosion Man may very well be the best 2D platformer since the 16-bit days, and I include the New Super Mario Bros. games in that statement. Gameplaywise, think one of the better 2D Sonic the Hedgehog games, except with copious walljumping.

As far as RPGs go, Fable II, Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, and Oblivion are the cream of the crop. ME2 is still pretty new, but the rest can be had for cheap these days. Fallout 3 can be pretty gory, but the others aren't any worse than Arkham Asylum which I notice is (deservedly-- great game) on your must-buy list.

20. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

I'll put Crackdown, yet again, on the table for recommendation. Yes, it's rated M. Yes, it's violent. Yes, it's an open-world third-person shooter. Yes, there's no plot. But, there is some good platforming and you can spend half the entire game hunting down mystery orbs and agility orbs scattered up and down and all over the town to improve your supercop. Plus, it's not that bloody in my opinion.

As for XBLA/XBLIG (Xbox Live Arcade/Xbox Live Indie Games) titles, pick up Arkedo Series - 03 PIXEL (imo the most polished of the three Arkedo games on XBLIG), Beat Hazard (XBLIG twin-stick shooter/music visualizer), Castle Crashers, I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1 (the hit XBLIG title that isn't bloody), the 2 Johnny Platform games (both on XBLIG), and Peggle (because it's Peggle).

Also, if you plan on getting some RPGs like Fable 2 or Fallout 3, pick up the Platinum Hits version of Fable 2 and the Game of the Year version of Fallout 3, as they contain all the downloadable content for both games on a separate disc.