1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Unified VG Recommendations Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by wonderfly, Feb 8, 2010.

1. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Personally I prefer the Wii version. =p not to start a war.

2. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I don't think I've ever seen this version in store. Serious.

3. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

The only place I've seen the Gamecube version was like on a little shelf at Target when it first came out, due to it being overshadowed by the big Wii Display it had. There weren't many GCN games left that the store sold, so basically there were only one or two rows devoted to GCN Games, all being at the bottom and overshadowed by all the new Wii Games that came out during launch. I guess it also doesn't help that GCN version was released later than the Wii version, so I guess that could have put a damper of trying to find it in other stores. There's that and I've seen various preowned copies at GameStop.

As for my recommendations, I say go for the

Sam and Max Season 1 and 2 (Wii)

Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People episodes 1-5 (WiiWare)

Tales of Monkey Island 1-5 (WiiWare)

Phoenix Wright Series (WiiWare)

Punch-Out!! (Wii)

Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Wii)

Star Fox 64

Muscle March (WiiWare)

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (WiiWare)

Those are a few that come to mind.

4. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

I'd think twice before buying any WiiWare or VC games, personally. The way Nintendo handles their downloadable wares is less than consumer-friendly: the downloads are tied to the console they're downloaded on, meaning that if your console should break down and need replacement, you lose all the content you paid for unless you physically mail the broken console to Nintendo to have it transferred by them.

If you're okay with that, then that's up to you, but make sure you understand what you're getting into before dropping a lot of money into a service like that.

Lots of good suggestions here, but I'll chime in again for the No More Heroes series. Unless he's on a budget and the first one is significantly cheaper, I'd say skip straight to the second and only go back to the first if you're really hungry for more. Suggesting first-party games on a Nintendo system is kind of a no-brainer, but Galaxy is one of the best Mario games in more than a decade, and NSMBW and Kart are great fun as well.

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

If you want a simple and fun arcade experience and one of the very best shooters on the system. you want Geometry Wars: Galaxies. Chaotic, colorful, good fun. It's very cheap these days. It also includes the original XBLA game.

6. K-S-O

K-S-O Secret Best Wii Game Ever

When I dropped a lot of money into the Wiiware service, I knew I was getting into a lot of good games. Here are some of my recommendations.

Art Style series
    Bit.Trip series
    Alien Crush Returns
    Mr. Driller W
    Toki Tori
    Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy Rush
    Neves Plus
    NyxQuest
    Swords and Soldiers
    LostWinds series
    World of Goo
    Mega Man 9 (and the Endless Stage DLC)
    Tomena Sanner
    Rebirth series

I agree with most of the retail suggestions.

7. Duke

Duke Truer Words Were Never Spoken

Klonoa and A Boy and His Blob are two great underrated platformers, and Klonoa is only $20.

Pretty much any of the Lego licensed games (Lego Star Wars, Lego Indy, Lego Batman, Lego Rock Band) are great buys. Star Wars, the first Indy, and Batman are all $20, though if you want Indy action, go for the second one instead.

8. JimmyValmer

JimmyValmer New Member

Wii
    Super Mario Galaxy (I know you already have it)
    Metroid Prime Trilogy (BEST GAME EVER)
    Super Smash Brothers Brawl
    New Super Mario Brothers Wii
    MadWorld
    No More Heroes 1+2
    VC
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Super Metroid
    Super Mario Brothers 3
    The Legend of Zelda: OoT
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's mask
    Sonic the Hedgehog 1,2,3, and Knuckles

9. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

That's asinine. Why do they do that? I can redownload my PSN games and DLC all I want. Heck, I was even able to make a duplicate of my account on my brother's console and download them there so we could share them. It just seems like Nintendo's way would only discourage people from feeling safe about their purchases, because all consoles break eventually.

10. BigLouMan20

BigLouMan20 Dancin' away my worries

From what a customer rep told me is that if you link your Club Nintendo account to the Wii, and the system breaks down, you let Nintendo know and they will allow the content to be transfered to another Wii.

11. Mynd Hed

What is the procedure for doing so? There's no information about it anywhere on Nintendo's web site that I can find. Do you have to call Customer Service? E-mail them and wait for a response? Physically take the system somewhere? Mail it somewhere? What?

Like I said, "less than consumer-friendly." "I heard from a dude on a forum that he heard from a customer rep" is somehow less convincing than knowing that if I sign in with my Xbox Live or PSN or Steam account on any machine anywhere, I'll have access to all my downloaded content in the time it takes to re-download it, no hassles.

12. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Ideally copying your downloaded stuff to a SD card would work, but a quick google search suggests that it doesn't. Disconcerting to say the least.

13. evildevil97

evildevil97 Member

Make an account at club.nintendo.com, then go to the shop channel. It's in the options at the shop channel. It doesnt take much time at all.

14. Mynd Hed

No, what is the procedure for transferring your downloaded content from one machine to another? There's no mention anywhere on Nintendo's web site of this being possible.

Not only that, for most games you can't even transfer your saved game onto an SD card so that you can take it over to a friend's house. Talk about annoying, especially when you're dealing with a game like Brawl where half the content 1.) needs unlocking and 2.) is highly desirable to have when playing multiplayer.

15. Azrayel

Azrayel Active Member

Recommendations for PSP and Xbox 360 games

Alright I plan to get both of these systems soon, and I wanna know what are some good games these systems have to offer.

I've never had a psp so let me start there. The types of game I'd like to play on a handheld are action, adventure, and multiplayer.

For xbox, the types of games I like are shooter, action, adventure, multiplayer, and some family games.

16. Mynd Hed

We've had a few recommendation threads lately, so I took the liberty of merging them so that we'll have just one thread to go to for game recommendations.

Don't have a PSP so I can't help you there, but as far as the 360 goes, if you're into multiplayer shooters, you've got a plethora of choices. Gears of War 2 has some great action-movie set pieces, good shooting, a fun cover mechanic, and a great co-op campaign mode either splitscreen or online. Sure, it's meathead space marines doing meathead space marine stuff, but it's big dumb fun.

The Left 4 Dead series is some of the best co-op shooter action on any system today, and stands as just about the only game to date where I've actually had fun playing online with random strangers. I haven't tried the sequel yet, although it's supposed to stick pretty close to the original. Your choice of which to get will likely depend on budget and what your friends have.

Castle Crashers is a downloadable retro-style side-scrolling beat-em-up that's tons of fun, but I only recommend it if you've got someone local to play with: the online is buggy and the only people still playing these days are likely to significantly out-level you. All Xbox Live Arcade games are required to have demos, so you can always try before you buy, which is very nice.

Bayonetta is what Devil May Cry would be if DMC were good. There's no multiplayer and the plot is ridiculous nonsense, but the combat system is button-masher-friendly on the easiest difficulties and just as deep as you want to make it on the harder ones. There's a downloadable demo available for you to check out.

Batman Arkham Asylum is another single-player-only game with incredibly deep, fun combat, plus Metroidvania-style exploration and some light stealth elements. I'm generally not the biggest stealth fan, but this game is the exception: it's incredibly fun to creep around and scare the crap out of Joker's thugs. If you're a fan of the old 90's Batman: The Animated Series, this game also has most of the same voices. It's pretty short, making it a good weekend rental. There's also a downloadable demo.

Fable II only counts as an "adventure" game insofar as "adventure" tends to be the catch-all genre descriptor for games that don't fit anywhere else, but it's too good a time not to recommend it to anyone. Its combat is fun although not incredibly deep, and it's got some light RPG elements and a fantasy setting. You can pick it up for under twenty bucks these days, which is a screaming deal.

17. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

For the PSP, in terms of action and multiplayer, you can't go wrong with the SOCOM Fireteam Bravo series. I haven't played it (not my thing), but it is popular enough to have three installments; the third one came out last week and has online play. Here's some PSP games I could recommend.

-Half-Minute Hero: It's unique, bizarre, and perfect for handhelds. Wiki describes it as "a hybrid real-time strategy/action RPG/shoot 'em up" in which you generally have 30 seconds to save the world. It has 120 levels divided up into 4 gameplay modes - a RPG, a real-time strategy game, a shoot-em-up, and a tower-defense-esque game (where letting the clock go down to zero is the goal). It also has a retro charm with its 8-bit graphics. It's really good.

-Metal Slug Anthology and Metal Slug XX: They're both represent a classic arcade shooter and both are 20 bucks each. Anthology is a collection of seven Metal Slug games, 1-6 and X. MSXX, which came out this past Tuesday, is a port of Metal Slug 7 from the DS but with additional content.

I'll check back with more later, but this is a start. I also second getting Gears, Castle Crashers, and Left 4 Dead. Plus, I'll throw in The Orange Box for good measure (if you don't have it for your PC, it's 5 great games for 20 bucks).

18. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

I just thought I'd go ahead and list a couple of my personal recommendations, if only because I'm bored and having nothing else to do, at the moment:

As far as action/adventure games on the XBOX360 go, I'd recommend Ninja Gaiden II above all-else, personally. As someone who loves beat-em-up/hack-and-slash style action games, the NG games stand well above most of their competition for me, and quite a few other people that I know. As for NG2, it offers some of the best and most fast-paced melee combat out of any game on the XBOX360, so far. Also, one thing I have always liked about NG games which I feel that more developers making these types of games could learn from, at least a little bit, is how well-designed and challenging the enemy AI is. The enemies work very well together in teams, with some closing in to attack you while a couple otehrs stand back and try to hit you with projectiles. In other words, it actually feels like the enemies are really trying to kill you off as quickly as possible. But, the game gives Ryu enough useful moves and abilities in his arsenal to deal with each enemy encounter very effectively, and nothing feels more bad-ass than coming out of a fight with extremely over-whelming odds after having mastered the skills needed to overcome the challenge.

Furthermore, the animations in this game are superb, and help make the combat in this game feel more fluid than any other form of melee-based combat in any other hack-and-slash game, so far. The only major problem with this game was that it was rushed into its release, so therefore there are some clear signs of it not being completely finished, with quite a few very noticeable glitches present, as well as a camera that could have used a good bit of tweaking (its not nearly as bad as many people love to exaggerate, but it takes some getting used to, and its absolutely horrible when it comes to fights in wihch many enemies are spamming projectiles at you from very far away; although, most of these problems still have ways around them, and are only even problems starting on the harder difficulty settings). Overall, this game is much less about just simply looking stylish and juggling around enemies which don't put up much of a fight, but rather it puts more focus on overcoming challenging fights and learning how to properly adapt to fighting the deiverse enemies in this game, each of which have different AI patterns than the other enemy types, making battles feel much less predictable. As for the story, its the only major turn-off of the game for those who care a lot about story in these types of action games, as its composed of completely ridiculous and nonsensical plot-points and B-movie style dialogue, which has come to be expected of Ninja Gaiden games since the NES ones. If you don't care very much about story in your action games, though, then this games weaks tory won't be a problem.

As far as first person shooters go, I'd highly reccomend The Orange Box above all-else. You'll be getting quite A LOT for your money. It comes with 5 games on one disc (well, except for the PC version, in wihch I think you have to install each game separately). Half-Life 2 and its 2 episode expansion pack sequels take up most of the package, and while HL2 is technically a game from the last generation of games, it was so revolutionary for its time that it still holds up extremely well today (its not like it gets much competition from the plethora of generic and uninspired FPS games out there these days, anyways). Portal is a short but EXTREMELY innovative and fantastic puzzle game, which will really boggle your mind when you come to some of the much more cleverly designed puzzles. Last but not least, Team Fortress 2 is a very unique and interesting team-based multiplayer game, which can be really fun when playing it with friends that you know on your team. As far as other FPS games go, though, some other good ones include BioShock, F.E.A.R., and both of the Left 4 Dead games.

And just as a brief mention, I'd highly recommend Shadow Complex to anyone who enjoys Metroid-style exploration games. It can be downloaded off of XBLA and your definitely getting it at a bargain for only 1200 MS points (approximately $15).

I'll probably try and post recommendations for some other genres of games as well, later on.

That's a purely opinionated statement. I enjoy what I've played of DMC and of Bayonetta (I'm not a huge fan of either, so I don't own any of those games, but I have played quite a bit of the DMC games as well as Bayonetta thanks to friends who own those games). To me, Bayonetta is essentially the same thing as DMC gameplay-wise, but just with an opposite theme (as in, a "Witch" slaying "Angels" Instead of a "Devil" slaying "Demons"). Of course, its combat is a bit more advanced and a bit faster which is better, overall, but I don't really see it as some huge improvement over DMC. At any rate, my biggest problem with both games is that the enemy AI is basically brain-dead, and rely on the same attack patterns which can still be challenging but only until you get the gist of things, after which time the game gets much easier and eventually a bit boring to play through once you've mastered it (including on the harder difficulty settings....well, I at least know that for DMC, anyways, since that's what a friend of mine tells me once he beat each one on DMD mode).

19. Mynd Hed

Umm, yes it is. What's your point? If we didn't share our personal opinions on this thread, then we'd just be repeating bullet points from the backs of the boxes.

Bayonetta is very similar to Devil May Cry, but with some improvements (not as punishingly difficult on the lower difficulty levels, a better camera, loads of simple usability improvements like being able to practice combos during load times) that make it a much better and more polished package at the end of the day.

If you liked DMC, then Bayonetta is a no-brainer, but even if you didn't (I didn't care for any of them personally) it's still worth checking out the demo. Worst that'll happen is you still don't like it.

20. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

I wasn't making a "point," I was just sharing my own contrasting opinion, and I usually have a habit of starting something like that off by saying something along the lines of "well, that's fine if that's your opinion, but personally....etc." At any rate, I really don't see how you'd take that in any offensive manner as if I actually have a problem with you stating your opinion. :shrug:

The only DMC game that was "punishingly" difficult on its lower difficulties was DMC3, and that was fixed with Special Edition.

That's debatable. In all honesty I had just as many problems with Bayo's camera as I had with DMC's, which actually isn't many, because just like with Ninja Gaiden, I always find that people exaggerate how bad the camera is in games like DMC. Its subjective, but the fact that people can get used to the camera and pull off no damage runs on the hardest difficulties of games like this, which wouldn't be possible with a bad camera or anything less than a decent one, kind of makes me see the camera as just being annoyingly akward from time to time, rather than being a big hindrance wtihin the game itself (that's not to say that its flawless, as I have already stated that i have had problems with DMCs camera, but so to have I run into annoyances with Bayo's camera from time to time as well; its just not very frequent for me in either game, though).

Well, I do love being able to practice combos during load-screens, but I don't see how that alone makes the game more "polished" than DMC. Would you mind kindly listing a few more usability improvements which I may not have taken into consideration? Since you did state that there are, in fact, a "ton," listing a few shouldn't be a prlobem, and I'm asking this sincerely, not to try and argue, or anything like that.

I'm not arguing or disagreeing with that. All I was doing was defending DMC a tad bit (and I'm not even really a fan of it). Its just that the way you put it was "Bayonetta is what DMC would be if it were actaully good," which is implying that people should not play DMC as it is not worth their time compared to Bayonetta. Since this is a recommendation thread, I thought I'd help DMC out a bit over here by suggesting that it is still worth playing even if DMC might be more advanced than it. It wasn't to try and argue with your opinion, if that's the impression that you got. :sad:

I don't see what's so wrong about that. :sweat: