1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Unified VG Recommendations Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by wonderfly, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Azrayel

Azrayel Active Member

Thrillville is a fun game. (Infact it is said to be a fun game for the family) So I would recommend that for your kids as for something you might enjoy, you practically covered the three I was going to say. (Which was Marvel Ultimate Alliance, X men Legends, Prince of Persian)

2. Magus

Magus The Boss

Sure thing. It's basically a story about a boy/man (18 years old) name Ryo still on a quest for revenge. (If you get it make sure you watch that dvd because it's a summary of the first game) On his quest he looks for clues to locate his father's murderer. In a sense, you can say it's like a detective story without actual detectives and stuff because you're going around asking questions to random people and get the same answer. (Depending on your patience it can become quite a chore)

The subplot, to me, is about martial arts seeing how you come across different characters that aid you in your quest by teaching you new techniques, and other interesting things about the martial arts itself. The story's not fantastic, but there is a story there that's easy to comprehend.

As you can see I'm not good in describing things, and like The Huntsman said, Shenmue 2 is pretty difficult to explain. But basically it's a story of revenge and martial arts. The first one took place in Japan, and this one continues in Hong Kong.

3. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

Although if you want to play MvC2 on the 360, it would probably be cheaper to pick up the downloadable XBLA version than hunt up a disc copy of the original Xbox version anyway, so unless you're one of the rare few that already has a disc copy lying around, it's probably not an issue in that case.

You might try Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. It's an open-world, go-anywhere-do-anything PC-style RPG of the sort Bethesda is justly famous for. Fair warning, though, it sort of dumps you into the deep end and lets you sink or swim, so a strategy guide (or at least a trip or two to GameFAQs) is recommended.

Since I notice you listed lots of superhero games earlier, allow me to recommend Spider-Man 2, which until Batman Arkham Asylum was released last year would've been my personal pick for best superhero game of all time. There are some decent sequels, but I say skip 'em: Spider-Man 2 is still the best of the bunch.

The X-Men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance games are decent beat-em-ups, but pretty light on the RPG elements and story. They might be worth fooling around with if you're a fan of the characters, but I wouldn't expect anything particularly mind-blowing.

I don't know if you're into fighters, but if you are, Soul Calibur II is quite possibly the best entry in the best 1-on-1 fighting series of all time. It might be a tad violent for your kids depending on how old they are and how relaxed your standards are: it's the sort of thing where characters regularly impale one another with swords, but it's rendered somewhat cartoony by the fact that there's no visible blood, so make of that what you will. (It's rated T.) If you do decide the content is okay for your kids, the controls are pretty simple and button-masher-friendly at the easier difficulty levels.

4. WolfieKiwi

WolfieKiwi We lil' devils

Definitely snag a copy of Oddworld: Strangers Wrath. It's a cleverly put together first person shooter game with an even more clever story.

Unfortunately, it's not compatible with the xbox360, but the price you can get it off of amazon is such a steal, so I would still recommend it.

5. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

For the kiddies, see if you can find the 3D platformer Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc. It has bright, colorful visuals, a silly sense of humor, challenge (but not the controller-throwing kind), varied locales, and plenty of unlockable mini-games and bonuses. Don't be surprised if you'll want to play as well. ;)

6. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Yeah, that looks like it's about it, doesn't it? Wonder why X-Box never came up with a strong "sword and sorcery" line to rival Final Fantasy (then again, I guess nothing rivals Final Fantasy).

EDIT: What's this "Kingdom Under Fire" game I just read about? Anybody here recommend that?

I don't know, I'm remembering the TV show X-Play, and how they used to always warn of avoiding all movie adaptations.

Yeah, I used to play Soul Calibur II all the time years ago with a friend who had his own X-Box (he has since moved on to a Wii). I might get that when the kids get older (if I haven't moved on to the 360 by then)...

One other: Would anyone here recommend "Second Sight" for it's story/game play?

7. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

Spider-Man 2 is the exception to the rule. Same with The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay.

Also, for your kids are two games I just remembered. If you don't already own it, SSX 3 is really good. It's a snowboarding sports game where you race and do tricks, but it's really solid in the gameplay mechanics. It's my favorite SSX game. I also remember Microsoft trying to create a mascot in Blinx: The Time Sweeper. It did get some good ratings, though.

8. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

I think they tried with the 360: there are a ton of fair-to-middling JRPGs (Blue Dragon comes to mind) that Microsoft basically bribed the developers into making 360-exclusive. Unfortunately, it seems that JRPGs have become less relevant this generation. I can't think of a single real great JRPG a la Chrono Trigger or FF7 this gen.

An excellent general rule, but Spidey 2 is worth it. Once you get past the truly terrible Toby Maguire voice acting, the feel of swinging around Manhattan Island as Spidey is awesome. It's sort of like the Tony Hawk series, one of those games where the real star of the show is the controls. There's a story mode and some side missions and optional objectives, but really, I could do nothing but swing around the city for hours and be happy.

9. OriginalGagBonke

OriginalGagBonke Fan of 2-D animation.

Looking for good Wii games and VC games.

One of my friends has the Wii, and is currently tired of playing Wii sports,{And before anyone asks, he does have Super Mario galaxy}. But he's currently looking for good Wii games. E10, T, and M rated Wii games. He's also looking for good VC recommendations. So far I recommended him madworld and Donkey Kong Country...So does anyone know any good wii recommendations and VC games?

10. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

Just off the top of my head I can think of No More Heroes, No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Punch-Out!!, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition.

As for the Virtual Console side of things there's Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Donkey Kong Country 2, Star Fox 64, the Mega Man games and others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Oh, and Mega Man 9 (and upcoming Mega Man 10) on WiiWare.

11. Batmex

Batmex Avengers Assemble!

Final Fight 3, Samurai Shodown collection, King of Fighters collection, Megaman 9, Super Castlevania IV, Castlevania Rebirth, Super Street Fighter 2.

Heard that Blaster Mastter Overdrive in wiiware is awesome too.

12. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

Any specific genres he enjoys?

Since you only mentioned he has Galaxy and Wii Sports, I'd recommend Super Paper Mario, Klonoa Wii, Wario Land Shake It, A Boy and His Blob, Punch-Out and Excite Trucks.

13. Krabby Fries

Krabby Fries Better Than The Coral Bits

He got something against regular E? Because if he does, he's missing out on some of the system's best games. Like de Blob, a truly fantastic game.

14. OriginalGagBonke

OriginalGagBonke Fan of 2-D animation.

He likes first person shooters, Platforms, RPGs, and beat-em up games.

He's got nothing against it, he did enjoy De blob but in his own words most E rated games are not what they used to be.

15. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Tell your friend that if he shuns out E-rated games, he's ignoring some of the Wii's best.

If he likes Strategy RPGs, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is a great choice. Very long, and quite fun to play.

Muramasa: The demon Blade is another great one.

16. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Muramasa the Demon Blade and Metriod Prime Trilogy.

17. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Some great suggestions in this thread.

I think I'd add Deadly Creatures, House Of The Dead Overkill, SNK Arcade Collection Vol. 1 (Only version with perfect emulation), Data East Arcade Collection, and I'd also recommend the Wii Tenchu game if you can find it for a good price.

On Wiiware, Contra ReBirth, NyxQuest, and Lost Winds 1 and 2.

VC, there's a long list. But if you like platformers, Bonk 1-3, New Adventure Island, Dynastic Hero, Alex Kidd In Miracle World, Alex Kidd In Shinobi World, Sonic The Hedgehog (Master System Version), Dragon's Curse, Gunstar Heroes (part beat em up and shooter, too), Pulseman, DoReMi Fantasy, ActRaiser, Cybernator, Super Turrican, Dynamite Headdy, Mega Turrican, Ristar, Revenge Of Shinobi, Shinobi III, Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa, Blaster Master, and Wonderboy In Monster Land.

For RPGs, Ys Book I & II, Secret Of Mana, and River City Ransom (which is part RPG part beat em up) are my top 3. I'd also add Phantasy Star IV and Shining Force 1 and 2 if you still don't own them any shape.

For beat em ups, I'd also add Double Dragon, Splatterhouse, and Streets Of Rage 2 and 3.

For something unique, StarTropics, Chew Man Fu, Fantasy Zone, and Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Sorry for all the titles. I tried to think up stuff that wasn't posted that is awesome, too.

18. FireWarrior

FireWarrior The Ultimate Warrior

I'd recommend:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    No More Heroes
    No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
    Punch-Out!!
    Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Murarmasa: The Demon Blade
    The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
    Metroid Prime Trilogy
    Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
    Okami
    Resident Evil 4
    Resident Evil Umbrella or Darkside Chronicles
    House of the Dead Overkill
    Dead Space Extraction
    Super Paper Mario

19. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

Here are a few that I'd recommed:

Mega Man 9 (Virtual Console: Wiiware)
    Super Mario Kart (Virtual Console: Super Nintendo)
    Mario Kart 64 (Virtual Console: Nintendo 64)
    MarioKart Wii
    Star Trek Conquest
    Deer Drive (if he has the Wii gun it is like the old NES game "Duck Hunt" with the Zapper but instead of Ducks you are shooting it is Deer---but be careful not to hit the does; the same company also has a Wii remake of "Duck Hunt" out on the market)
    Bully: Scholarship Edition
    The Godfather: Blackhand Edition
    Mario Super Sluggers
    Any of the Sonic Games if he doesn't have the Gamecube disc "Sonic Mega Collection" (Virtual Console: Sega Genesis)
    Agatha Christie's Evil Under The Sun
    Nancy Drew: White Wolf Of Icicle Creek
    The Hardy Boys: The Hidden Theft
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2
    Lego Indiana Jones
    Lego Batman
    Prince Of Persia Rivals of the Sword
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (with the Wii Motion Plus)
    World Series of Poker: Tournament of Champions 2007 Edition (There hasn't been any recent Editions since this one)
    Dodgeball (Virtual Console: NES)
    Super Mario Brothers 1, 2, 3 & Lost Levels (Virtual Console:NES)

20. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Is Ocarina of Time on VC? If so, get that one. Not my favorite Zelda (that would be Link to the Past), but it's got a good storyline for an E game.

Eh. I think it's better to play this one on the gamecube.