1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotham "The Mask" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Nov 10, 2014.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

It's back to school for Master Bruce! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on FOX.

[​IMG]
    "The Mask"
    Monday, November 10, 2014 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on FOX
    GORDON AND BULLOCK INVESTIGATE A DEADLY FIGHT CLUB ON AN ALL-NEW "GOTHAM" MONDAY, NOVEMBER 10, ON FOX

Gordon and Bullock investigate a Gothamite who runs a deadly fight club for candidates applying to work at his financial firm. Meanwhile, Bruce returns to school and gets a visit from a new friend.

#1.07: "Penguin's Umbrella"

FOX.com/Gotham

2. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

All that's missing from that one scene where Bruce slaps that one kid for mentioning his mother is him yelling, "MY PARENTS ARE DEAD!!!"

3. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Episode #8

The people in this city are crazier by the episode. Those office workers, Marone, Cobblepot's mom, Fish...they're all crazy. Cobblepot especially is crazy, but it's a controlled, fierce sort of crazy. He'll go far.

I love that scene between Bullock and the Captain. We got to see ol' Harvey without the mask of put-upon cynicism.

Substituting morphine for a whack upside the head. This city is great.

Sionis doesn't even try to hide it. Talk about delightful insanity. Again, this city is great.

Bruce returning to school was kind of pat. I think it would have been more interesting if he secluded himself at home and was allowed to dedicate every fiber of his being to his training.

I loved how Alfred is such a badass in this continuity.

All of Sionis' employees watching Gordon get his ass-kicked is hilarious. This city, my God, this city. I love it.

Oho, Fish's mama isn't so dead, is she?

4. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Two more Batman villains introduced in this episode with at least one more on the way next week.

5. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

A good episode that actually keep's up with last week's series high point. My favorite moment was Bruce getting his revenge on Tommy. It took nine episodes but the subplot with Bruce and Alfred is finally getting interesting. The main story was pretty good and I like how it's following up with Gordon being basically abandoned by the GCPD last week. And seeing Black Mask was cool and a nice first step for the character's eventual rise into organized crime. The Tommy Elliot easter eggs was also cool.

6. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

There's a villain on the loose, but let's take time to focus on Bruce in school and his bullying problem. Gosh, what's next, "The DA got half his face burned off, the Red Hood is on the loose, and prom is tomorrow!!!"? Its everything I feared it would be. Still entertaining though. (I can find enjoyment in Batman and Robin.)

7. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

You must not like TV or any form of media if you can't handle multiple storylines with multiple characters.

8. darkdetective

No, I just find the idea of following a child version of Bruce Wayne stupid.

9. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

If you think it's stupid to show a young Bruce Wayne beating the tar out of a bigger kid with his deceased fathers watch while Alfred lords over him, watching like a proud father then I think Ill reiterate reflections post and say you must not like tv or any form of media.

10. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

This is the best Bruce Wayne iteration yet. If he's going to dress up like an idiot in a bat costume he might as well begin forging that idiocy when he's a mentally deranged twelve year old on the cusp of adolescence, rather than twenty or thirty. His psyche has been shattered, now we're finally seeing a believable downward spiral that doesn't suddenly take a decade or two for him to decide "I'mma dress up like a dumbass with a cape and pointy ears and do nothing but recruit little boys to sleep in my mansion so we can fight crime together in tights rather than use my wealth and influence to lead both a normal, happy life while also contributing to the city's less fortunate by giving them my time and teaching them to fish for themselves." Here we have a force of nature with every fiber, every cell of his body now zeroed in on tackling the corrupt world that is Gotham from day-one. He might not have the fully developed body to punch his fellow crackerjacks in the face but he does have a mind old enough to comprehend his environment while also being a petty grudge-holding nutjob. If that isn't fascinating I don't know what is.

As fun as seeing Bruce beat the snot out of an idiot is the story would've been much better if Bruce simply never returned to public life. The story should've allowed for Bruce to force Alfred to let him stay in the mansion and continue to stew until Alfred was no longer under the legal obligation to be responsible for him and the messes he is bound to eventually create as a crackerjack in a cape and pointy ears.

11. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It seems odd to watch a show with a built in dislike for the subject matter to cloud everything media related to said subject. But that's just me I find better things to do or at least understand visual appeal.

I actually kinda got bummed out that I missed last week's episode since it sounded like the best one yet. This one was kinda lame. This show is frustrating as it's constantly in this weird crime show that sometimes goes to wacky in other episodes. This was one of the latter, I was with the captain when she said "When did things get so crazy in this town?!" It just feels pat or rushed whenever they want to introduce the more broader comic aspects. Penguin, good. Mustache twirling Black Mask with werid fight club or balloon men or assassins that uses a flute instead of gun, bad. I find the times when it just skims the surface of what it's based off is when this show is at it's best.

12. darkdetective

I enjoy the Gordon storyline

13. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Gordon is good, though his albatross is his wife. She's a terrible character and I fail to see why he loves this woman. I feel like his relationship with Bullock of all people is stronger and healthier.

14. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Shame Bruce had to beat up that other kid. You know he could have just told him to hush up. Or at least say "Hey kid, next time I beat you up you're gonna have to wear bandages on your face for the rest of your life!"