1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Gotham" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Sep 21, 2015.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Rise of the villains! Season two premiere tonight at 8 p.m. ET on FOX.

[​IMG]

"Rise Of The Villains: Damned If You Do..." - Season Premiere

Monday, September 21, 2015 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on FOX
    DARKNESS LOOMS ON THE ALL-NEW SEASON PREMIERE OF “GOTHAM” MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, ON FOX

Penguin is King of Gotham and after a shakeup at the GCPD, Detective James Gordon’s moral compass wavers, as he seeks help from Penguin. Meanwhile, Bruce Wayne continues to explore the secrets from his father’s office, while GOTHAM newcomers Theo Galavan (James Frain) and his sister,Tabitha (Jessica Lucas), make friends with some unlikely allies, a group of dangerous inmates from Arkham.

Discuss this season of Gotham!

Related Links:
    #1.22: "All Happy Families Are Alike"
    FOX.com/Gotham
    'Like' Gotham on Facebook
    'Follow' Gotham on Twitter

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

A good start to the season. The show is still absolutely bizarre and weird but it seems to be finding a bit of focus and is embracing the camp. It's still this weird hybrid of the 1960s Batman show, the Burton Batman and the Nolan Batman but it's somehow starting to gel. It's totally silly but it's somehow watchable. The stuff with Gordon and Zaardon was absolutely hilarious and it looks like the show might be making Barbara (who was awful in the last season) kinda tolerable here. All the actors seem to be embracing the same overall weirdness and bizarre-ness of the show and that could actually work for it as opposed to how it was so tonally all over the place last season. It's still far from great but it seems like the show is focusing on a tighter cast this year which will help it level things off.

3. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Are they just going to make Barbara Harley Quinn?

I don't know. Maybe there was a reason why the Bruce Wayne TV from early 2000/01 never happened. Is it because there really isn't much to tell or do with in that time of his life? I feel the show speeds up the process of making these characters who they'll eventually become when it's too early in the character's life to do so. I honestly think we could legitimately have BATMAN next season. Without Batman himself in it of course.

If we get to the point where it's blatantly obvious it's BATMAN, then I'd rather just have them flash forward the show to the "present" with BATMAN actually in it. (Gotham Central: The TV Series)

4. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Yeah that's my biggest issue with this show. The villains shouldn't be showing up like they are and there's too much focus on Bruce. alot of these villains were created by Batman's presence, particularly the Joker who was created by Batman and shouldn't have any appearance in this show since one of the best things about the Joker is his unknown background.
    I think the show should've had a focus on the Waynes before their murder.

5. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

The theory passes along: Barbara Kean is Harley Quinn's mother. Who's the father? ;)

The premiere was very middle of the road as far as Gotham goes. A couple moments, here and there, but nothing much to get excited about towards an ongoing tale and expansion of the world.
    The show shot its grand potential by ridding Gotham of all of its mobster influences sans Penguin.
    However, this was the perfect opportunity to re-intro/refocus the criminal side of Wayne Enterprises (maybe even Court of Owls teases now that that's been confirmed) rather than bringing in an entirely new set of villains (Dulmacher arc all over again; only more contrived since the characters were brought into Gotham city). These new guys better get relevant to a substantial amount of the characters' story as quickly as possible or else they'll become more padding for the plot.

Check your comics privilege at the door folks because this is most definitely not that kind of adaptation,
    for which I understand there is little to no source.
    I can't imagine how much worse it might be for you guys to have to read/watch the many elseworlds stories lying around.

6. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Knock, Knock" September 28, 2015

Did you watch Gotham tonight?

[​IMG]
    "Knock, Knock"
    Monday, September 28, 2015 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on FOX
    A DEADLY ESCAPE ROCKS THE CITY ON AN ALL-NEW "GOTHAM" MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, ON FOX

Following his reinstatement, Gordon is thrust onto the high-profile case tracking the deadly inmate escape from Arkham Asylum. Meanwhile, Galavan plans his next move, while Bruce enlists the help of his father’s old friend to unlock the secrets in his office, and Nygma attempts to ask out Kristin Kringle (guest star Chelsea Spack) on a date.

7. StormBlue

StormBlue Defender of Light

Incredibly shocked. Excited about the potential direction the show is going in.

8. Wonder Woman

This was actually a very enjoyable and very watchable episode. I was disappointed to see the Commissioner killed off but you could tell her number was up when they gave her a couple character moments. I was also surprised at how effective the Maniax are in the show. They make for a good foil. This show seems to be really embracing the over-the-top campy aspects of the series and just running with it and it's working. The only part of the episode that really fell flat was the stuff with the Riddler, the rest was pretty good.

9. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I was recently pondering this idea for the show's premise: If they did a more "faithful" Leslie Thompkins where she takes care of Bruce, would that make Bruce Wayne as a character in the show any better? This is the only thing I can think of where doing this time period in Bruce's life would actually serve a point.

10. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"The Last Laugh" October 5, 2015

Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on FOX.

[​IMG]
    "The Last Laugh"
    Monday, October 5, 2015 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on FOX
    ABRACADABRA, HOSTAGES! ON AN ALL-NEW “GOTHAM” MONDAY, OCTOBER 5, ON FOX

Gordon and Bullock track down a nemesis from the past, leading to a standoff between Jerome (guest star Cameron Monaghan) and Gordon. Meanwhile, a magic show at the Gotham Children’s Hospital gala turns into a hostage situation.

11. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I'm slowly catching up.

Week 1: Gordon is "fired", goes to Penguin for help, gets his job back. Barbara escapes from Arkham with Jerome and a few others. Richard Sionis, perhaps related to Black Mask, unless "Roman" was a nickname, is whacked right off the bat.

Week 2: A week after being appointed commissioner, Sarah Essen, who in the comics became Jim Gordon's 2nd wife, post-Crisis, is killed. Heller & Cannon have made it clear that what we know from the books no longer applies here. Another member of the Maniax is killed to avoid handing up the Galavans.

Read spoilers for week 3, but will watch On Demand.

FWIW, if you have Time Warner Cable, be warned. The season premiere had the series opener of Minority Report piggybacked onto it when I watched on Saturday. Don't know if that's still in effect in your part of the country.

12. Wonder Woman

Third episode was probably the best episode of the show to date. It was more focused than it usually is and actually threw in a surprise twist. Looks like Jerome is definitely not the Joker, being dead and all, but the ending definitely seems interesting. His short stint has inspired a bit of madness in the city and it looks like things are set for the Joker's eventually debut down the road. A neat twist. Not only a good episode by Gotham standards, but just a good episode, period.

13. hobbyfan

They're shooting their wad now, knowing the possibility is very real that they'll be buried once Supergirl debuts.

Selina cleaned up real nice this week, didn't she? I thought she & Bruce might actually have a makeout moment, but it was so awkward.

Theo Galavan is this show's version of Luthor. Passes himself off as a hero, but he definitely ain't. And Barbara is playing the sibs against each other, flirting wth Theo while making out with Tabatha. Heller & Cannon have definitely decided to do away with any pretensions about faithfully adapting the books.

No Nygma this week, after Oswald had the week off last week.

And next week, GCPD gets Mackey'd. You'll see what I mean.....

14. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Strike Force" October 12, 2015

Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on FOX.

[​IMG]
    "Strike Force"
    Monday, October 12, 2015 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on FOX
    A NEW CAPTAIN IS CALLED TO ACTION ON AN ALL-NEW "GOTHAM" MONDAY, OCTOBER 12, ON FOX

Michael Chiklis Joins The Cast of GOTHAM!

Captain Barnes (Michael Chiklis) is called to duty to create a law-abiding task force, with the help of Gordon. Meanwhile, Penguin gets caught up in a favor for Galavan, and Nygma asks Kringle out on a date.

15. hobbyfan

Oh, what a tangled web we weave......

Penguin finds himself under Galavan's thumb because they snatched his mom. Just as he's become more mature and assertive, Ozzie falls back into, albeit reluctantly, the role of subservient aide. Galavan is swine.

Capt. Barnes is equal parts Tony Scali (The Commish) and Vic Mackey (The Shield). Michael Chiklis is comfy playing cops, isn't he? Why, then, do I have this feeling this will not end well?

Alfred slaps the taste out of Selina's mouth. Kind of late for that, isn't it? She's smitten with Bruce, though she won't admit it just yet. Speaking of Bruce......Silver St. freakin' Cloud? Seriously?

Count the days, kids. Supergirl arrives in 9 days. Gotham will go under by Christmas if this keeps up.

16. Wonder Woman

Yeah, even though the ratings for the show are still good I don't think this show will survive against Supergirl. Fox should really move it to 9pm.

The show has been getting better even if its still loopy. I think the introduction to Silver St. Cloud is actually pretty cool and is a nice nod to the comics. At this point the show has established it's doing its own thing, especially with the death of Jerome, so I'm not holding anything to how it's supposed to turn out, just that this show is doing its own thing. I still with we got a straight forward adaptation of Gotham Central, but the bizarreness of this show somehow keeps is appealing despite the show not being the best.

I like the introduction of Barnes and for the first time I'm interested to see what this will do for Jim's character.

17. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Scarification" October 19, 2015

Villain team-up! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on FOX.

[​IMG]
    "Scarification"
    Monday, October 19, 2015 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on FOX
    FAMILY RIVALRIES WILL RESURFACE IN THE CITY ON AN ALL-NEW “GOTHAM” MONDAY, OCTOBER 19, ON FOX

Galavan and Penguin join forces with a dangerous family in Gotham. Then, as the rivalry between the Waynes and the Galavans resurfaces, Gordon struggles to maintain order in the city.

18. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"By Fire" October 26, 2015

Burn baby, burn! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on FOX.

[​IMG]
    "By Fire"
    Monday, October 26, 2015 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on FOX
    THE CITY GETS FIRED UP ON AN ALL-NEW “GOTHAM” MONDAY, OCTOBER 26, ON FOX

After Bridgit Pike (guest star Michelle Veintimilla) rejoins her brothers, a new spark of courage ignites within her, as she chooses to take control of her future. Meanwhile, Kringle and Nygma’s relationship will take a new step and Penguin and Galavan continue to battle for control of Gotham City’s underworld.

19. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

I'm kind of upset about Bridgit now. I almost wish she had just perished. That, or she didn't kill her brothers and that Gordon came in and took them down instead.

20. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Now this is Gotham's wheelhouse. This as well as the last ep were so good. It's great to have this show back in top form.
    I would love to see Bridget's return. That is definitely a sweet take on Firefly, albeit I only know of the character from the DC toons.
    Quite a few revelations this ep and I hope this isn't the height of the show's quality like "Penguin's Umbrella" was (this could have easily been the midseason finale)